U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

240 posts, read 245,583 times
Default Possibily relocating to NYC

Hi. I know many thread have discussed relocating to NYC. I've searched a little, but if you remember any thread that seems particularly relevant to my situation that I've missed, please copy link.

I got a call from a recruiter on a job in NYC, and I want to do the homework to fully understand what I'm getting myself into.

I'm currently in the midwest, but been to NYC multiple times. I got plenty of space now, but the lifestyle is miserable... I'm actually going to take a slight pay cut to 85K, but I've found that money really cannot buy happiness... (a colleague who shares my sentiment has even said that apparently money can't even rent happiness.) I figure I will just end up taking longer to pay down student loan and saving less to adjust for the pay cut.

But taking a pay cut aside, I have a lot to figure out financially. I have a car, which I would need to sell for less than I owe. I have two cats, which I would not consider abandoning in the move. So, I need pet friendly digs. The job would be near 23rd & 6th. I am a single young professional, and want to be as close to the action as I could afford. At the same time, being a single girl, safety is a top priority. And while a roommate is the reasonable thing to consider, I haven't done so in 10 years, so I don't think I'll be doing that now.

From Craigslist, I'm forming a hope to get a studio in the 1300-1500 range. By studio, I'm defining that as something that's not much smaller than 400 sq ft., but size is not always listed on Craigslist. So, is this realistic? What neighborhood would you suggest? What should I watch out for? If this is not realistic, what would be?

Also, what is the cash I need on-hand to move? The current job market is making it more okay for companies to not offer relo... and according to the recruiter, this one may not cover relocation. But I think I would negotiate for something if I end up getting an offer. I'm seeing mixed review on going through a broker right now... what do you think for the type of apartment that I would be looking for? How much do they cost?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM

7,081 posts, read 22,452,121 times
Making 85K you'll be able to afford more than 1500/month in rent. You're going to WANT to pay more than that when you see what that'll get you. In Brooklyn you'll get more bang for your buck. And it's easier to find places that will accept cats than will accept dogs.

I don't recommend craigslist. Lots of scams. Many landlords will give you a good deal, but you should go through a broker or take a walk in the area in which you're interested, and ask the building's super about vacancies.

Unread 01-24-2010, 06:48 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,130,586 times
My studio is about 500 sq ft and is $2200 a month...its also close to "the action"

Unread 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,461,276 times
The $85K is enough to be comfortable, and if you're lucky enough to be recruited, jump for it! Although I wouldn't count on a studio for $1300, you ought to be able to find out for $1500-$1800. The crucial issue may be the pet.

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,064,788 times
Before I became familiar with NYC prices, a girlfriend of mine had a studio for $1200 and I thought she was crazy. She lived a hop away from Central Park in the UWS (around 86th and Amsterdam), so you can definitely find a nice studio in your price range.

Since your job is on 6th, I suggest living on the west side, and if safety is a concern, UWS is a good look. It's a bit quieter (relatively) and if you stay on the quieter avenues you'd be better off as well.

Anything near a subway line is "close to the action," but if I had a choice to be in the heart of activity, I'd probably choose the West Village or Greenwich Village. However, finding a studio for that price would be damn near impossible so that's why I suggest UWS.

Brokers can be very helpful, and when I was apt hunting in NYC found numerous with no fees.

The New York Times has an apartment searching tool, and if you just type in new york city apartments into any search engine, you'll find links to a number of apartment listing services if you're wary about craig's list.

As far as the cash you'd need, first off NYC is strict when it comes to how they rent. Some landlords require to either make 40xs the monthly rent to sign a lease or to have a cosigner. A lot of places charge 1st and last months rent and a security deposit, so, depending on your rent price, a budget of $4,000-$5,000 should be what you'd expect for a studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
Hi. I know many thread have discussed relocating to NYC. I've searched a little, but if you remember any thread that seems particularly relevant to my situation that I've missed, please copy link.

I got a call from a recruiter on a job in NYC, and I want to do the homework to fully understand what I'm getting myself into.

I'm currently in the midwest, but been to NYC multiple times. I got plenty of space now, but the lifestyle is miserable... I'm actually going to take a slight pay cut to 85K, but I've found that money really cannot buy happiness... (a colleague who shares my sentiment has even said that apparently money can't even rent happiness.) I figure I will just end up taking longer to pay down student loan and saving less to adjust for the pay cut.

But taking a pay cut aside, I have a lot to figure out financially. I have a car, which I would need to sell for less than I owe. I have two cats, which I would not consider abandoning in the move. So, I need pet friendly digs. The job would be near 23rd & 6th. I am a single young professional, and want to be as close to the action as I could afford. At the same time, being a single girl, safety is a top priority. And while a roommate is the reasonable thing to consider, I haven't done so in 10 years, so I don't think I'll be doing that now.

From Craigslist, I'm forming a hope to get a studio in the 1300-1500 range. By studio, I'm defining that as something that's not much smaller than 400 sq ft., but size is not always listed on Craigslist. So, is this realistic? What neighborhood would you suggest? What should I watch out for? If this is not realistic, what would be?

Also, what is the cash I need on-hand to move? The current job market is making it more okay for companies to not offer relo... and according to the recruiter, this one may not cover relocation. But I think I would negotiate for something if I end up getting an offer. I'm seeing mixed review on going through a broker right now... what do you think for the type of apartment that I would be looking for? How much do they cost?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Unread 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM

3,924 posts, read 4,208,755 times
$1,300 to $1,500 is a bit low. I pay $1,200 for a share in the East Village. If I could get a studio for $1,300 I wouldn't still be in a share. You probably want to bump your budget up to $1750 or so.

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:07 AM

240 posts, read 245,583 times
oh, give this midwest gal a break on the language. she's getting no action out here in the middle of nowhere!

Thank you so much for all your help. We'll see how all this pan out. Recruiters may be involved, but that just means that instead of 10 gazillion, I just need to deal with 1 gazillion people duking it out for the same job

Great info so far. I will need to rework my finances. I think perhaps it's prudent to up my rent numbers for budgeting purposes. Especially, if I don't have the luxury to walk around town and find the best deals out there. And if by luck I do find something cheaper... (one can hope )

Unread 01-30-2010, 01:13 AM

18 posts, read 34,467 times
i would consider the lower east side. it is a pretty cool area, lots of new restaurants, bars and lounges and the F train would get you to 6th ave & 23rd st. the rent there is fairly reasonable (i know someone who owns a bldg down there and they rent their studios out for approx 1200-1300). you could also do a share on the upper east side but that would mean a much longer/more annoying commute for you. at first you think it's no big deal but it can take its toll. good luck!

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM

20 posts, read 40,647 times
^what he said. The lower east side is coming up. Theres lots of new restaurants and bars in that area. The nightlife is great. A broker would be helpful since you cant go to the buildings yourself. A lot of people think that if you go through a broker, you would have to pay a fee 100% of the time, but all you have to do is let them know that you are looking for no fee apartments, and you shouldnt have to pay a single dime to the broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City