U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM

160 posts, read 275,785 times

Advertisements

It's interesting, too...how landlords are made out to be the bad guys....a close friend of mine is a landlord for a couple of buildings in NJ...and the stories she could tell......sometimes, it's the tennts who are the badguys....even rent stabilized ones

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM

6,636 posts, read 11,595,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
..... I think you should just call him up and tell him you've reconsidered and would like to take him up on his offer if it's still available.
This is really all you can do.And they will probably wait until around lease renewal time to answer you.
Don't be surprised if the answer is no or if the offer is a lot less.The real estate world has changed a lot in the last year and buy outs are always way less when the tenant is offering to leave.They automatically get suspicious.

I'm with the others though.....I happen to be pretty pro rent stabilization but I really don't think you should get anything under the circumstances.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 AM

10,364 posts, read 18,840,431 times
i dont think everybody should beat up on the OP. the OP is not breaking any laws by paying $800 for his apartment, thats just the circumstances. because none of you would ever in your lives go to a landlord and ask them to raise your rent because you know you're paying too little, or u feel that you should pay market rate....so lets not be so quick to pass judgement. and as soon as he leaves, the LL is going to rent it for 3-4 times what the OP was paying, its the village right? the village became desirable in the early 90s.....the LL will see his money back in a year and a half. the OP said he's been living there for over 20 years....what if this is a retired couple now on a fixed income?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM

Honestly, I used to be quite liberal....pro tenants right...pro welfare...etc...etc...but it's instances like this that make me change my mind

The OP enjoyed reasonable rent for the area for 20 years......it's not the landlord's fault that he MAY be on a fixed income

You would think with all those years of reduced rent, the OP would have done something with that extra money he saved...i.e.savings...invest....BUY a house/land

This is where I get "lost"....because the landlord MAY be wealthy....due to his/her own hard work/smarts....the OP has a right to 25,000$ of the landlord's money?

It's this give me/sense of entitlement attitude that is ruining this city

And for the record..back in the day I rented a basement apartment from a lady in Astoria..after about a year I offered to pay her more rent because I felt like she was being "jipped"....thought that was the right thing to do, something most people WOULD do

But I guess I am wrong...I thought I was a normal person, but in fact..I am FABULOUS...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 AM

30,178 posts, read 27,276,378 times
we liketo think these apartments are held by needy folks but the reality is it has nothing to do with it. its all based on the number of years you lived in the apartment..thats why its sooooo stupid.

besides every one of us that draws a salary is on a FIXED INCOME. i hate that phrase.. many retirees draw more in fixed income from investments then we do from our fixed income from working ... at least they get cost of living increases with social security.. not many of us do

Old 01-31-2010, 01:44 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,661,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i dont think everybody should beat up on the OP. the OP is not breaking any laws by paying $800 for his apartment, thats just the circumstances. because none of you would ever in your lives go to a landlord and ask them to raise your rent because you know you're paying too little, or u feel that you should pay market rate....so lets not be so quick to pass judgement. and as soon as he leaves, the LL is going to rent it for 3-4 times what the OP was paying, its the village right? the village became desirable in the early 90s.....the LL will see his money back in a year and a half. the OP said he's been living there for over 20 years....what if this is a retired couple now on a fixed income?
I don't care that the tenant is paying $800 a month for his apartment. What bothers me the fact that instead of being thankful that they can afford to buy a house (presumably because only paying $800/mo enabled them to save more than they would have if in a market rate place) that they feel entitled to something for their apartment.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 PM

AND...that apartment isn't even THEIRS...it belongs to the landlord...the person who is paying the mortgage and property taxes on that building!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:37 PM

30,178 posts, read 27,276,378 times
We have been buying out the tenants leases in our building by central park for 50-100,000 bucks each . thats on top of paying us 1/2 the fair market rent all these decades. most of those people earn more then we do.

the farce that this rent stabilization has turned into is sickening.

no wonder not 1 rental building that isnt luxury or low income has been built in nyc since the 70's.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM

32 posts, read 46,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
they feel entitled to something for their apartment.
AGAIN----I never asked for ANYTHING they OFFERED!
For the record---you have NO CLUE of the rental conditions I've lived in for the last 10 years.
They want us out---and the lack of service I and the other low rent people tennants get is evidence.
Why have I not moved?
Simple. I cannot afford to move anyplace else.
...nor did I want to until now.
The 8000 dollar tax credit has made it easier for us to get a home.
FYI--It took me almost 12 years to save up the down payment.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,928,680 times
He's only doing what is smart for him. It's the same thing with welfare.... I am 100% against subsidized housing for working-age people, but I can't fault the people who live in it, since they applied for something that was set up by someone else specifically to be in their interests. Call up your legislator if you have a problem with rent stabilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City