U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM

170 posts, read 287,118 times
Since China will inevitably overtake the US in 21st century as the global superpower economy, I think learning mandarin would be a good idea for young kids looking to get into international business. Pretty soon China will be the country with the biggest banks, and companies not the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM

316 posts, read 549,205 times
The reason one should learn the language of any country that they live in is so that they can communicate with the natives. Imagine if you had an emergency and couldn't communicate: scary, no?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM

872 posts, read 1,238,139 times
Americans seem to be unique in Western Civilization in holding the view that they should not learn anyone else's language. What makes not knowing a second or third language so desirable? Most Europeans, indeed most Africans I've met can speak two and parts of a third or fourth language. It comes with navigating in a shrinking world. It broadens a person and makes him more knowledgeable and tolerant of his neighbors. It saddens me that we have been so conditioned to believe how great we are that we thumb our noses at developing any ability to interact with people unlike ourselves.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
The reason one should learn the language of any country that they live in is so that they can communicate with the natives. Imagine if you had an emergency and couldn't communicate: scary, no?
I happen to agree with you. Unfortunately, if you wander around New York City, you can find plenty of people who can communicate in practically every language except English.

I'm a third-generation American; when my grandparents came to this country, the first thing they did was apply for citizenship. And the second was to search out a place where English was taught--because they had the crazy notion that you had to speak the dominant language to be able to participate in the society.

Those aren't widely held opinions any more, it seems.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 PM

36 posts, read 107,967 times
Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
Since China will inevitably overtake the US in 21st century as the global superpower economy, I think learning mandarin would be a good idea for young kids looking to get into international business. Pretty soon China will be the country with the biggest banks, and companies not the US.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,532 times
That's not the case now and from past 10 years. At beginning when Chinese are entering in Flushing Queens NY started with Taiwanese but now pretty much Chinese are mainly coming from Mainland China and many are illegal, behave absolutely obnoxious, arrogant, nasty, rude, sneaky you name it they have it all in Chinese culture.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

460 posts, read 422,712 times
I swear people will argue and complain about the most ridiculous things. They are offering free classes and people who want to take advantage of it can. Why complain about something that is FREE and beneficial to those who want to take the language?

Only in America is this considered news and worth complaining about. I bet someone will sue over this.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,764,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I swear people will argue and complain about the most ridiculous things. They are offering free classes and people who want to take advantage of it can. Why complain about something that is FREE and beneficial to those who want to take the language?

Only on the internet is this considered news and worth complaining about.
fixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City