U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,581 times
Default Moving to NY from NC in May

All:

I am moving to New York in May on a whim. I figured it is just my time to get a fresh start and break free from my parents' rule. I currently live in Raleigh in a one bedroom apartment and I havew my own car, but I know that when I move to NY I will probably want a studio apt and will not be bringing my car (since I do not pay the insurance on it). I have been applying to jobs on Hotjobs, Monster, and Careerbuilder and other ads in the NY Post. So far, I have not heard from anyone. I am also utilizing craigslist to look at apartments and temp/sublets available; but it is hard since my move date is far ahead in May. I do not have any family or friends I can bunk with or stay with when I move. Any thoughts or advice for a single 25 year female? I am open to all opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,349,805 times
How much money do you have saved? It is foolhardy to move here without a job. It's difficult to get an apartment - or ANY place to live without a job. What skills do you have? The unemployment rate here in the city is still over 10%.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM

7,916 posts, read 9,975,121 times
How much money do you have saved? You really need a min of $5-10k to make a blind move to NYC. It will cost you AT LEAST $2,500-5,000 up front to get an apartment after paying your deposit, 1st month's rent, app fees, etc.

Second, what are you qualified to do? Do you have a college degree and at least a few years of good work experience? The best of the best come to NYC to work- you will be competing against people with Ivy League degrees, top in their class, and even the top young people from Europe/ Asia/ the world. This even applies to waiters- not kidding! Many a Juliard grad or similar is waiting tables for steady income and playing music on the side, waiting for the big break.

Honestly, unless you have connections in the city (which you don't), are extremely outgoing and charming, and have excellent work experience and educational background on your resume, moving to NYC in this economic climate is going to be extremely difficult.

I won't even touch what you wrote about being 25 and wanting to move out of your parents control. You are an adult. If you feel you MUST move, maybe try Atlanta, Nashville, or Birmingham....Southern cities with fairly good economies and less complete culture shock for you.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM

442 posts, read 679,739 times
I'm moving back to NYC from nc too but being from there I got my fams and friends to stay with til I get my crib. Save 10-15gs ideally if you don't know where your next source of income will be from and consider some areas in queens dont get stuck on living in cool areas basically. I'm not out of this backwoods state until June ish good luck though your gonna love it way more than nc trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City