U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,382,871 times
Reputation: 518

Advertisements

2 Bronx Communities Accused of Blocking Black Home Buyers - NYTimes.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,871,269 times
Reputation: 365
Interesting article. While I understand the importance of preserving a tight knit desirable community in the Bronx especially since there's hardly any desirable communities left in the Bronx, Ms. Lewis could of been more discreet without bringing attention to herself.

The facts are, no matter what race you are, this type of thing happens quite often in real estate. Its not just White people denying Blacks in order to preserve their desirable white communities but ALSO Blacks denying White people in order to preserve their black communities as well. Ask the older residents in Harlem...they don't want Gentrification or White people moving into their community. No difference in Edgewater Park in the Bronx.

Black people don't want White people in their neighborhoods in fear of increasing property value and higher rents which will ultimately force them out.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

White people don't want Blacks in their neighborhoods in fear that their property value will DECREASE, quality of life will DECREASE, crime rate will raise which ultimately opens the flood gates for a lot of riff-raff in the community stripping the "desirableness" off the area creating the downfall of the community.

Both cases IMO are legit reasons in wanting to preserve their communities. The question is, is it moral?

Is it possible to preserve a community (black or white) and be moral at the same time and still be successful in your agenda or do you have to break the rules a little without being caught in order to be successful in preserving your community?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,830 posts, read 21,383,253 times
Reputation: 6882
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
........
White people don't want Blacks in their neighborhoods in fear that their property value will DECREASE.......
Ironically,in both Edgewater and Silver Beach it is the "keeping out" of more than 50% of The Bronx home buying demographic that has kept prices in those communities down for years.
And being 99% white hasn't immunized them from foreclosures either.Lot's of houses in both communities(especially Edgewater) regularly on the foreclosure lists.
So much for exclusionary policies keeping property values up.It's hard to keep property values up when you won't let 1/2 of the QUALIFIED lookers even look at what you are selling.
I happen to be a white person and when I was looking to buy a place in The Bronx I very briefly(like 7 minites) looked in Edgewater.It's a ghetto.A white ghetto but definitely a ghetto.Can't imagine anyone wanting to live in a place like that.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-08-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,871,269 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Ironically,in both Edgewater and Silver Beach it is the "keeping out" of more than 50% of The Bronx home buying demographic that has kept prices in those communities down for years.
And being 99% white hasn't immunized them from foreclosures either.Lot's of houses in both communities(especially Edgewater) regularly on the foreclosure lists.
So much for exclusionary policies keeping property values up.It's hard to keep property values up when you won't let 1/2 of the QUALIFIED lookers even look at what you are selling.
Edgewater and EVERY community in the US is effected by foreclosure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,830 posts, read 21,383,253 times
Reputation: 6882
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Edgewater and EVERY community in the US is effected by foreclosure.
I know but the prices go down harder and faster when most of the qualified home buying people left in the market are excluded .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,051 posts, read 31,574,708 times
Reputation: 10518
Isn't there also, how shall we say, resentment if a white person wants to buy in a neighborhood like Harlem? These kinds of things go both ways--and they're going on all the time, in plenty of other neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
DAS
 
2,532 posts, read 6,229,131 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't there also, how shall we say, resentment if a white person wants to buy in a neighborhood like Harlem? These kinds of things go both ways--and they're going on all the time, in plenty of other neighborhoods.
No, there is no resentment when a White person buys in Harlem. This is because they are usually buying a luxury condo or a brownstone. Something that most local residents cannot afford anyway.

The resentment in Harlem is do to the fact that housing was developed in the 1980's - 1990's for low income residents. Then in the late 1990's to the present time, housing has been developed for the most part for the wealthy.

Very little has been developed for the average working Harlemite, of the middle class.

No one is actively stopping the sale of properties in Harlem to a White person.

Most longtime residents of Harlem would not seek to buy properties in these Bronx neighborhoods that this thread is referring to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,871,269 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't there also, how shall we say, resentment if a white person wants to buy in a neighborhood like Harlem? These kinds of things go both ways--and they're going on all the time, in plenty of other neighborhoods.

Yes, there is resentment towards White people who buy in all Black communities like Harlem.

It goes both ways so either group shouldn't complain about the other if they're both guilty of doing it.


Personally, I'm all for preserving desirable neighborhoods that are family friendly with low crime and good quality of life. Unfortuanately there are NOT many of those neighborhoods left in NY so any attenpts to preserve the last few gems we have in NY, I support 100%.

However, how do you morally preserve an ALL white or black community nowadays without being accused of segregation??? Is it even possible, considering we've been conditioned by the liberal media and people at large to be "politically correct"? The media will jump on the opportunity to do a story on it like the above referance and create a frenzy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,871,269 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No, there is no resentment when a White person buys in Harlem. This is because they are usually buying a luxury condo or a brownstone. Something that most local residents cannot afford anyway.
Das, I think regardless wheather its luxury condos or affordable housing, there is resentment towards White people moving into Harlem. Blacks view it as the "white man" invading or taking over their territory.

Simular to how the Iraqis feel towards American troops occupying their land. They are unwanted despite the fact that the troops have given their lives and have set the foundation for a safer and more prosperous Iraq in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM
DAS
 
2,532 posts, read 6,229,131 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Yes, there is resentment towards White people who buy in all Black communities like Harlem.

It goes both ways so either group shouldn't complain about the other if they're both guilty of doing it.


Personally, I'm all for preserving desirable neighborhoods that are family friendly with low crime and good quality of life. Unfortuanately there are NOT many of those neighborhoods left in NY so any attenpts to preserve the last few gems we have in NY, I support 100%.

However, how do you morally preserve an ALL white or black community nowadays without being accused of segregation??? Is it even possible, considering we've been conditioned by the liberal media and people at large to be "politically correct"? The media will jump on the opportunity to do a story on it like the above referance and create a frenzy.
Do you live in Harlem?

I have responded to poster's that posted about getting a look, or someone saying something to them about living Harlem. Even they stated these were isolated events, and for the most part no one cares.

Buying is different from renting. I have not heard of anyone getting harassed for buying. People in Harlem that have sold, know that there are not too many Black or Latin buyers with couple of million dollars to spare. They just want to make the sale. Everyone understands that type of thing.

These properties in the Bronx are selling for a more reasonable price.

Now renting, that may different, but basically only the people in the building, or on the block, would know that Mrs. Jones' niece wanted to rent the apt that was vacant upstairs, and that Mrs Jones inquired about it before the last tenant moved out, and that the landlord kept the apt empty for 6 months, making repairs, and didn't take an application from Mrs. Jones' niece, that has a good job, and excellent credit.

The new tenant may get a few unkind stares for a few months, and not understand why. However in these cases there was still no harrassment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top