Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

As of 6:30AM Tuesday morning there are streets near me in Queens that still haven't seen a snow plow.
Is this because NYC laid off 400 sanitation workers not too long ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is this because NYC laid off 400 sanitation workers not too long ago?
I don't think they laid off anybody. Demotions, but no layoffs.

According to some reports, this might be an intentional slowdown.

I don't doubt it. When we've had much less, you'd see the trucks out in force, back-to-back. Maybe 4 trucks in the past day and a half have plowed my street and no salt spreaders.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
I live in brooklyn near fulton and ralph and my street has yet to be plowed...which has me really upset because have to drive!!!! It has NeVER taken this this long.....where are the trucks??? I tried to call 311 but after 25+ min. of holding i hung up

Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I live in Manhattan, East 60s. It is Tuesday, 8am, and we haven't had our street plowed yet. Great job, Bloomie.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
I am a native New Yorker and can say that my entire life NYC has always done things this way. Manhattan always gets cleaned up first after snow storms while the other 4 boroughs are left in shambles! Guessing because a lot of people work in Manhattan they think it is better to clean it first. The problem is that most people cannot afford to live in Manhattan and therefore live in other boroughs......if they take their time cleaning the other boroughs then it is still difficult for people to get to work. But hey this is the way it has always been in NYC....Manhattan has always been put on a pedestal and always will be when it comes to community services like sanitation!

But don't worry if you live in Manhattan trust me your streets will be cleaned up before any of the streets in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island or Queens. Manhattan is a huge tourist destination too so they are going to clean it up in a hurry.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
My street on staten island is still not plowed and i live a couple of blocks away from the sanitation depot. What's going on?!!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Our Mayor "Dumberg' has failed us.
We have had less snow years ago and had plows all night long, here we have a blizzard and not only did we get not "enough' plows, we got "NO" plows at all.

Cars are stranded all over. Our City did not prepare for this at all.

Whats the problem here??, not one plow in Bensonhurst, cars stranded every where.

Cablevision is out, we have no TV, no phone service and no internet.

Our Mayor has failed the people of NY. He should be ashamed of himself.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM

357 posts, read 727,552 times
wrong. It has not always been this way. We've worse in the past 5 years and we haven't been this crippled. I live on a street in Brooklyn where we ALWAYS see a truck in the 1st 24 hrs.

Major streets in the outer boroughs have always been taken of.
The sound of sanitation trucks has always been the soundtrack of a snow storm here. it's dead now. It has to be the holidays or the money. maybe both.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
wrong. It has not always been this way. We've worse in the past 5 years and we haven't been this crippled. I live on a street in Brooklyn where we ALWAYS see a truck in the 1st 24 hrs.

Major streets in the outer boroughs have always been taken of.
The sound of sanitation trucks has always been the soundtrack of a snow storm here. it's dead now. It has to be the holidays or the money. maybe both.
yes, this is correct, other times we have plows like crazy,

now we get nothing, zip, zilch, nada

Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

146 posts, read 259,088 times
Thank Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith who has adopted all these cost cutting programs to all agencies including the sanitation department. he has been told that the dept would be understaffed for a smajor storm and disregarded all advice from dept heads and experianced chiefs. he is demoting supervisors this weekend so guess what even less supervision for the operation it is a disaster some things cannot be cut it is necessary for the lifeblood of this city. people cant have it both ways cut city workers they are leaches then when they are not happy ask where is everyone i have not sen anyone why are the bosses not instructing the plows to go here and so on and so forth. he is doing it in all depts he was the mayor of indianaopolis which is like the size of lower manhattan he has no idea what hes doing just looks at a board and says cut this this will save x amount without understanding it. there was no slowdown just less workers and less supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: