Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,147 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Lenox road in Brooklyn? Safety/value? A building called
the Gentry there has renovated 1 bedrooms being offered for 130k? Does anyone know anything about this building and neighborhood? It's suppose to be close to Prospect Park which is good I think. Any and all thoughts yea or nay would be greatly appreciated as I am not from new York. Regards.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,968,200 times
Lenox Rd is pretty long.It must run for 30 or more blocks from West to East.I know someone who lives on Lenox in the first block just East of Flatbush Ave and it seems ok to me.It's known as Prospect-Lefferts.I don't know what happens as you go further east,however toward Brownsville.Might not be so nice down at that end but I don't know.
The area right near Flatbush Ave is a pretty solid working/middle class neighborhood with some nice prewar apt buildings and coops.There are a lot of stores around and it is very close to Prospect Park and the Parkside Ave stop .
I can't believe someone named a building "The Gentry". I at least hope it's an older pre war building with a name like that.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:25 PM

33,352 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalphan View Post
Any thoughts on Lenox road in Brooklyn? Safety/value? A building called
the Gentry there has renovated 1 bedrooms being offered for 130k? Does anyone know anything about this building and neighborhood? It's suppose to be close to Prospect Park which is good I think. Any and all thoughts yea or nay would be greatly appreciated as I am not from new York. Regards.
its ok...its not good but not bad either.....if you're used to living in the hood then you'll be ok otherwise you have some adjusting to do.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
It's East Flatbush. Lenox Rd between NY Ave and Nostrand Ave.

Last time I visited was 4 years ago (I was on Martense near NY Ave, which is nearby) and I did not feel that comfortable. The neighborhood made me a little nervous and the building I looked at really was not well kept and I would not have wanted to live there. There are other areas nearby that I did like, for instance, there is a nice building on the corner of Hawthorne and Bedford and that block seemed nice. However, I think that 1 bedrooms in that bldg are more like $250K.

If you are not from here, does that mean you do not know anything about the way coops work? How much is the maintenance on these units? Do you know how much of the building is owned by owners and not a sponsor? Sometimes it can be hard to get a mortgage on a unit in a buildiing that is more than 50% owned by the sponsor.

Also I would want to know about the coop's finances. This is something your lawyer can check out before the sale goes through, but I wonder why there are so many foreclosures listed in this building - even dating back to before the real estate market went up so high. If there are so many people foreclosing, does that mean there may be others who haven't foreclosed yet, but don't have money so they are not paying their maintenance fee?

etc. just ask a lot of questions and do your homework. Asking on a forum like this is not exactly doing your homework, but it's a start, I guess.

To see foreclosures, prices paid for recent sales etc. in this building, start a free account on propertyshark.com and type in the building's address.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 PM

468 posts, read 2,350,624 times
"The Gentry" is a hilarious name for a building offering renovated apartments in East Flatbush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City