Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 19,847 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NY (along with my pregnant wife) for work. I'll be working in Manhattan and would like a sub 10mi commute preferably around 5mi. I'm thinking in terms of riding my bike when weather permits and taking the train otherwise.

Rooms:
1 bedroom

budget:
$1200

neighborhoods:
Astoria, LIC, Greenpoint, suggestions?
also wondering about the area surrounding prospect park

q's:

brokers:
How do you get hooked up with brokers? I see a lot of brokered apartments on craigslist, so I'm expecting that's the way. I've also heard some talk about insisting the landlords pay the fee or at least a percentage of.

going carless:
Is it feasible to go carless in Astoria, Greenpoint, etc. We're thinking of going carless but not sure how well that will work when the baby comes.

grocery shopping:
I get the sense that food shopping happens at neighborhood grocers, do any of you make monthly trips to walmart /costco/sam's club or any other
place like that?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Be VERY careful with Craigs List --- a lot of real estate scammers on there!

Carless will be great so long as you are close enough to grocery stores, etc. If you're going to do monthly trips to Costco or BJs, you can always rent a vehicle. However, make sure you have a place to park to unload all your stuff.

$1200 is almost right for a 1BR in Queens. Keep in mind, the shorter the commute to Manhattan, the more you'll be paying in rent.

If you find a neigborhood you think you like, be sure to make trips there at different times of the day and night (especially weekend nights) to see about noise, traffic, people, etc.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Where in Manhattan will you be working? If you're further downtown, you'll want to concentrate on Brooklyn and if you're in Midtown, you'll want to look at Queens. You'll want to be careful to live near a subway as well because while biking is great in spring and fall, it's not so fun in winter or summer, and your pregnant wife may want to go out occasionally as well.

With no idea of where in Manhattan you'll be working, I'd say check out Astoria over Greenpoint or LIC because that's where you'll be most likely to find a 1 bedroom in your budget with a reasonable commute to the city. LIC is closer, but more expensive and Greenpoint is a bit more expensive as well and it's really hard to get anywhere since you have to take the G train and transfer.

The nice areas around Prospect park are out of your price range, but you might be able to find something in the less nice parts of Prospect Heights. There are definitely cheaper parts of that neighborhood that are fine, but it tends to be a block to block thing and you'd need to look at the area carefully.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 AM

thanks for all the info everyone.

I'll be working in midtown, and have had my eye on Astoria. the more people I talk to the more Astoria sounds like the place we'll be focusing on.

Quote:
Be VERY careful with Craigs List --- a lot of real estate scammers on there!
Yeah I've seen a lot of shady ads! How else do you find apartments? Is walking the streets and looking for "for rent" signs a better bet?

Is yard access a hard thing to come by? I'd really like to have a bbq handy. I've seen some but it seems rather hit and miss.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Yard access is rare and even if you land a place with a balcony or roof deck, you generally aren't allowed to have an open flame on them. I'd just accept that you're not going to have a bbq. Sorry.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM

well, good to know at least. thanks for the tip.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I would check out Astoria and Rego Park in Queens.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Another area that I just started thinking about is Mt Vernon. Any thoughts. Biking my not be as feasible but the commute being around 30min works.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankt View Post
Another area that I just started thinking about is Mt Vernon. Any thoughts. Biking my not be as feasible but the commute being around 30min works.
Mt Vernon is not in NYC, and you'd be taking Metro North to the city (more costly than the subway). And many parts aren't very nice (or safe).

Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 13,487 times
Unless you already have a job here....NOT A SMART IDEA. I REPEAT...NOT A SMART IDEA. The jobs are NOT in NYC. Research again. Also, $1,200 will not get you something in a nice area. Sorry to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City