Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:54 PM

59 posts, read 155,385 times

Advertisements

I looked through about 10 pages of old threads and didn't see anything like this so thought I'd ask.

I live in Gatineau Québec Canada but am in NYC about 10 days a month for work. So I just bought a pied-à-terre in the Cobble Hill area of Brooklyn.

Now that the weather is decent I am keen to hop on my bike and explore. Any suggestions on what to see? Good buildings and historical places? Good restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 23,069 times
I had to Wikipedia "pied-à-terre" because I didn't know what it meant. Here's my favorite part of the article:

"In some cities with very expensive real estate, the working class may be priced out of homes by pieds à terre for the upper class. The decreased full-time population can also diminish local retail."

Awesome.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 AM

53 posts, read 348,901 times
If you're in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, or Staten Island, you go to Manhattan.

If you're in Long Island, NJ, or Westchester, you go to Manhattan.

There might be a couple of things to do in Brooklyn, but you'll soon be bored or finally submit to spending time in THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD, so you'll go to Manhattan.

It's where the action is.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post
If you're in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, or Staten Island, you go to Manhattan.

If you're in Long Island, NJ, or Westchester, you go to Manhattan.

There might be a couple of things to do in Brooklyn, but you'll soon be bored or finally submit to spending time in THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD, so you'll go to Manhattan.

It's where the action is.
Then after a while you get tired of Manhattan, want to start a family and realize NYC is no place for one. So you move.

What to do in Brooklyn?

-Clubs. Lots of Hip Hop and Reggae clubs although they are very rough. Good luck in one of those places if your not Black or Latino.

-Aquarium. But you can go only so many times.

-Coney Island Beach, if you bring a female beware of the local thugs from the nearby ghetto (and other low income sections of NYC) that will harrass her (If she is pretty or has a big behind). Besides that I guess you can swim in that nasty water.

-Shop in Downtown Brooklyn, lots of Hip Hop stores. Sneakers, hats, ect.

-Resturants. Park Slope.

-Get high in Bed-stuy, Brownsville, East NY, Bushwick, East Flatbush or any one of Brooklyn's infamous ghettos.

Haha, welcome to Brooklyn.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,430 times
go to manhattan? yes, i guess you can, but i love p slope, cobble hill, carroll gardens... loads of good restaurants and bars. when i lived there i wouldn't find i had to go to manhattan, that there was a lot locally to do and with a better vibe (at least to me). i'm not dissing manhattan, but i'm saying you have plenty of local options. i certainly don't agree that it's a MUST - of course being new to the city, yeah you should go, but you don't have to leave brooklyn, especially that area!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,430 times
oh yeah and then when all else fails, go get high - personal fave is bed stuy.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
smith street has lots of new restaurants.....smith street is also cobble hill/boerum hill, so its right in your area. u can also check out the transit museum on schemerhorn street and boerum place.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM

59 posts, read 155,385 times
So far I have really enjoyed the restaurants on Court and Smith Street. I am hoping to visit the Botanical Gardens soon.

I work in Manhattan and have enjoyed it during the day. I guess it is how you define "action" as to whether it is all there. I am 40 and over the club scene but enjoy the museums and cultural events.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:20 PM

319 posts, read 493,864 times
There's nothing really to do in Brooklyn in terms of entertainment

Except:
Clubs/Bars
Movies
Beach
Concerts
Shopping.

Wait.. Manhattan has all that too...
But I guess its more fun to do all that in Manhattan.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 AM

491 posts, read 828,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toujoursdan View Post
So I just bought a pied-à-terre in the Cobble Hill area of Brooklyn.
Can somone S'plan what the heck a pied-à-terre is ?
Im living in NYC all my life and never heard of one, it that the same as them squirting toilet bowls, bidette's bidet's (spelling) ?

Note to toujoursdan:
Emm I'd drop the French and Canadian "stuff" if you want to get along with native New Yorkers.
This stuff dont well fly here
"Assimilate"

-Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: