Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM

17 posts, read 57,483 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to NYC in a couple weeks and just looked at apts. on 146th and Amsterdam.
I worked with a broker and he said the area was safe, just wondering though
I am a young wife and mother with a 1 year old son, and will be walking to train/bus by myself

my budget is 1500 for a two bedroom
Is this area okay
how are the schools, i have a little brother who will be in 7th grade
any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM

15 posts, read 30,860 times
Have you ever been there? Its more like the east side of Detroit than Manhattan.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 PM

12 posts, read 14,545 times
^ I gotta agree with that LoL

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newport1885 View Post
Have you ever been there? Its more like the east side of Detroit than Manhattan.
What is that comparison based on?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newport1885 View Post
No is not. But the area still has bad schools and there is more crime there than other neighborhoods in Manhattan. But not one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. You just have to adapt to a working class/poor environment, living with a lot of poor/working class people and with some yuppies here and there, there are some individuals who are still dealing with drugs in the area, and you have to watch your back especially at night on many occasions. I think is an ok area if you did not had a kid. But he is a baby and you might tolerate it there until he is ready to start school. Then you need to find a neighborhood with a good school.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
There are a couple of local charters schools you should start looking into now for your little brother. I'd be most worried about him, that is a tough age. Are you the main caretaker, OP? A lot of kids lose their way at that age...

Here is a helpful link,

http://www.nyccharterschools.org/learn/about-charter-schools (broken link)

Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM

17 posts, read 57,483 times
I am the main caretaker
Is there a better, safer area where I can find a two bedroom for 1600/

Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
To the OP, I was on Amsterdam Ave this past Saturday I walked from 145th on Amsterdam to 152nd, I went 1 block across 152nd to Bway, and down Bway to 145th. I am around there frequently, but this time it was Sat morning, not in the evening, on a weekday after work, when I'm usually around.

Wow, I was really surprised. This has to be the most drastic turn around in a neighborhood that I've seen in long time. It is fantastic. If it is possible to get a 2 bedroom for that price, around there now, I would say go for it. There are so many restaurants, good deli's, all family friendly. I saw many families with young children, eating their Sat brunches in those restaurants. Those things were not available just a few years ago.

I saw many people of all races/ethnic groups, out and about, eating in the restaurants, shopping in the many stores of all types. The supermarkets have greatly improved. I stopped in 2 on Bway just to check things out. Also the big Dominican supermarket on W 148th and Amsterdam is still there. They have many Caribbean fruits, veggies, spices, and other foods, that you may not find in the regular chain supermarkets in the neighborhood.

There stores of all types, hardware, lock smiths, fish market, pharmacies (chain, and non-chain). You can buy most anything and everything for your everyday household needs around there.

Like NooYowrkur81 stated there are charter schools now in the area. There is also a specialized High school at City College Campus as well. There is also the Harlem School of the Arts, and Dance theatre of Harlem in the area, if you, or your brother are interested in these things.

You are safe walking to train stations in the area. Alway take the necessary precautions that you would take in any area of the city.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Also there is the State Park on Riverside Drive between 135th and 145th, that has many activities for young people and for adults. Also on days when it is just you and the baby there is a playground with swings and things on 148th and Riverside Drive, right on the Drive, you won't have to go down into the park.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 PM

15 posts, read 30,860 times
I think the apartments in that area are in worse shape than some jail cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City