Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Well, I do think that NYC has really bad weather. People on this board are for the most part fixating on temperatures, and making comparisons with this city or that city that has lower winter temperatures, but its more than temperature that determines whether a city's weather is good or bad. For instance, NYC gets a lot of rain and has a lot of cloudy, yucky days. More so that many of those "colder" cities that some people are mentioning. Then there are those nor'easters that affect NY, and that can dump two feet of snow at one time. And let's not forget about the hurricanes. Sandy, anyone?

Yes, I do think that NYC has bad weather, between the winter, the storms [all year round], the stifling summer heat, the mugginess, the constant overcast skies, and the frequent rain and snow, it's bad.
Yes, because Sandy recently hit NYCs weather must be terrible now. Funny how this thread hasn't had a post in over 2 years until today. I think we had like 2 or 3 hurricanes over the past 20-30 years [with only this recent one doing a lot of damage], wow we get them so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM

237 posts, read 482,401 times
NYC's winters are not even *that* bad, compared to some other cities...same with our summers. I like getting all 4 seasons, personally. Maybe it's because I've lived around here my whole life, but I feel like the whole constant 70s and sunny thing would get a little...boring?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM

140 posts, read 231,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yes, because Sandy recently hit NYCs weather must be terrible now. Funny how this thread hasn't had a post in over 2 years until today. I think we had like 2 or 3 hurricanes over the past 20-30 years [with only this recent one doing a lot of damage], wow we get them so much.
No, not just because Sandy hit NYC is NYC's weather terrible. I pointed out an extreme case to show just how severe the weather can get. Coincidentally, the year before we had Irene [hundreds of century old trees in Central Park fell] and we also had those tornadoes that hit Brooklyn. Yes, they were minor tornadoes, but tornadoes nevertheless.

The weather in NYC is lousy in my opinion because of the dampness, the humidity, the number of cloudy days, the precipitation, the wind in the winter and the stifling heat in the summer time where temperatures often top the 100 degree mark, and yes, because of the extreme weather patterns [hurricanes] that as of late are hitting the city.

Last edited by Rayarena; 11-03-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM

94 posts, read 216,313 times
It really depends on your preferences. Personally, I don't like the weather in NY. Here is why

-January-March: Awful. Extremely cold and depressing. We didn't get much snow the last few years, which I guess is a little redeeming for people who do not use public transportation. I use public transportation and like the snow because NY looks nice when covered in snow. So the lack of snow the last few years has made the winters more depressing then ever.
April: Rains almost every day. And yea, the cold weather still has not gone away.
May: The one redeeming month between January and September.
-June, July, August, September: hot, annoyingly humid, and thunderstorms are very common. Don't ever forget your umbrella. August is absolutely unbearable and you can't help but start looking forward to the fall. Don't be surprised if it rains ALL DAY at least 30% of the days during any of these months.
-November - December: My favorite time of the year. Fall literally lasts for 1 month in NY (November) most of the time. September is usually still very humid. Mid October is when you start to see the weather become a little more bearable at the end of October you start to see Autumn foliage. Thats right, you get only about one month and a half to enjoy Autumn foliage when most other states get three months. The Christmas Spirit makes up for the few days that are below freezing.

So if you like cold winters, long and humid summers, and lots of rain, New York is decent.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 PM

140 posts, read 231,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As a weather geek and a native of NYC (OK just north of it, but like almost literally on the border of the Bronx), I find the hype about NYC being "wintry" a joke.

In the sense that parts of most winter days are below freezing and there's never been a year without at least one "sticking" snowfall yes New York is a "winter" city, but relative to say Chicago or Detroit or Minneapolis, indeed relative to much of the Northeast, it is not. Consider these facts (you can look them up):

1) The average winter high temperature is around 40. Yes, 40 degrees! And this was true 50 years ago (I have an old World Almanac from 1969 that shows the 1931-60 NWS averages and the high was actually 1-deg WARMER than the current 1971-2000 average used) so it's not "global warming" or even "the urban heat island" (although that factor makes NY City's average low temperature higher than any in the region, indeed similar lows to DC).

2) Go just 100 miles inland and you have a climate more like Chicago. I lived for 5 years in the late 80s in the Albany area, just 150 miles to the north. They get 3x as much snow, their snow stays on the ground most of the winter (very very rare in NYC, especially in Manhattan) and their average temperature are 10 degrees colder! The nearest place with winter temperatures 10 degrees WARMER than NYC is down in the Carolinas.

3) Most people don't consider Washington DC to be a "winter" city (this year excepted, LOL!), but NY City's annual seasonal snowfall average total of 25" is much closer to DC's (just under 20") than place just 100 or so miles in any other direction from it (Hartford 50", Albany 70", Scranton 45").

4) I do grant that the "concrete canyons" of the skyscraper do produce a "wind tunnel" effect that makes Manhattan often "feel" colder in winter than it actually is.

I think NYC is a place that has nice even doses of all 4 seasons and the weather is just hyped but YMMV.

All due respect, there has been considerable climatic change in NYC in the last century or so. For instance, last winter [2011-12] was the warmest winter on record and the previous winters were also considered among the warmest. In other words, since the mid-1990's on to the present, we've had some of the warmest winters on record that are a considerable departure from the norm.

Did you know that in the 1800's all the way up until the early 1900's, the Hudson and East Rivers used to freeze over and it was cold enough to hold a horse and sleigh? The information is out there for anyone who cares to find it. I was watching a BBC documentary on Youtube about the immigrants who used to come to NYC, many settled in the Lower East Side around Delancey Street, and the commentator mentioned how solid compacted snow and ice--full of garbage and horse manure- would form on the streets several feet deep and not melt until the spring time. It had to be pretty cold for that to occur. You're talking about permafrost here. Another thing, temperatures are not dipping to deep subzero lows anymore. That's not to say that it doesn't get cold in NYC, because we still have the dampness and the extreme winds that produce bone-chilling windchill factors, but things are definitely warming up.

I for one believe in global warming. I think that NYC is an example of it. I remember when the four seasons were a lot more distinct. Many years ago already by the end of August, there was such a chill in the air that it was difficult to go to the beach. Nowadays, well into October, we are still having warm days. Also, if you notice the leaves stay on the branches much longer. Years ago, by this time, the trees would all be bare. It's already early November and I still see green trees. Decades ago, by the end of August certainly into early September, you would already see the leaves changing into bright yellows and reds. And in the winter, we would have snow falls that would stay. Now the snow melts as soon as it falls which is actually worst, because it then becomes a yucky mess.

Last edited by Rayarena; 11-03-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 AM

39 posts, read 23,715 times
I've lived long-term in or near Chicago, London, and NYC. NYC weather is pretty bad. London had the best out of these three as the weather is more mild year-round yet sufficiently warm and sunny in the summer, and despite the stereotype of England raining a lot, NYC actually has twice as much rainfall. Chicago is closer to NYC than London in terms of being less mild but I also remember there being 4 distinct seasons there unlike NYC where fall and especially spring seem close to nonexistent.

Have also been to LA and like most people say, the weather there was perfect; sunny days, clear blue skies, pleasantly warm but not too hot, no rain the whole time. Disclaimer: was only there for a few days in a particular month (May). I understand it occasionally rains heavily for days there but if the other contestant is NYC and the weather in LA is generally closer to how it was than not then I don't think there's any competition. My wife and I have seriously considered (and are still considering) moving from NYC to LA with weather being a primary reason.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
All due respect, there has been considerable climatic change in NYC in the last century or so. For instance, last winter [2011-12] was the warmest winter on record and the previous winters were also considered among the warmest. In other words, since the mid-1990's on to the present, we've had some of the warmest winters on record that are a considerable departure from the norm.

Did you know that in the 1800's all the way up until the early 1900's, the Hudson and East Rivers used to freeze over and it was cold enough to hold a horse and sleigh? The information is out there for anyone who cares to find it. I was watching a BBC documentary on Youtube about the immigrants who used to come to NYC, many settled in the Lower East Side around Delancey Street, and the commentator mentioned how solid compacted snow and ice--full of garbage and horse manure- would form on the streets several feet deep and not melt until the spring time. It had to be pretty cold for that to occur. You're talking about permafrost here. Another thing, temperatures are not dipping to deep subzero lows anymore. That's not to say that it doesn't get cold in NYC, because we still have the dampness and the extreme winds that produce bone-chilling windchill factors, but things are definitely warming up.

I for one believe in global warming. I think that NYC is an example of it. I remember when the four seasons were a lot more distinct. Many years ago already by the end of August, there was such a chill in the air that it was difficult to go to the beach. Nowadays, well into October, we are still having warm days. Also, if you notice the leaves stay on the branches much longer. Years ago, by this time, the trees would all be bare. It's already early November and I still see green trees. Decades ago, by the end of August certainly into early September, you would already see the leaves changing into bright yellows and reds. And in the winter, we would have snow falls that would stay. Now the snow melts as soon as it falls which is actually worst, because it then becomes a yucky mess.
This is why Global Warming is an alarmist thing not a new phenomenon. NYC has had many sub-zero temps the last few years, they even start calling it the polar vortex dipping. I'm sure you didn't call it global warming when it was only 14-16 degrees outside early this year and last year. I don't know where you've been I've seen lots of icing and ice sheets on the waters on the east river over the years. Just because there were a few warm winters does not make it a global warming phenomenon.

The earth climate always changes, there is no such thing as stable temps or stable predictable climate on earth. It is forever a changing event, no need to call it a global warming trend.

How about going back in time say a few thousands of years ago before humans started polluting earth. That the antarctica was not completely frozen. Who or what could cause that? Well, about 5,000 years ago there were a period when the earth was warmer than today and the reason is that the earth climate always changes and it is not a NEW phenomenon. You should study and read more before you claim that global warming is something new that the people caused, there has been many major global warming and cooling trends in the past. The next major trend will be a major cooling event that is over due within +/- 500 years, that will be the next ice age. Just a little more tilt or earth changing its axis can cause a big melt down or ice up.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
its mothers day today and it has rained for the last 21 days here this may 2019.

i would love to be bored by 80 degree weather everyday for the rest of my life.
native brooklynite here and i hate the weather here, i obviously cant leave because of job seniority, family, friends, the usual........................

I think here in NY we have the schittiest weather.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Eh, our weather is better than the Midwest. I can't stand temps above 80 (maybe even 70 tbh), but growing up with winters where your car wouldn't start because it was too cold, but you still had to go to school/work because you were 'tough'. My last 9 years here have been a lot better than my previous 18 in Chicago. My last winter there had -30F windchill temps, I ain't going back.

My perfect living situation doesn't exist. Give me NYC/Tokyo with Vancouver weather but without as much rain and a few more sunny days. And better politics (NYC).

Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times
This became a meme because a lot of people from NYC have ancestors from the southern US, the Caribbean and southern Europe, all of which have warmer climates than NYC. Ask someone from Buffalo and they would say NYC's weather is great.

What are Tokyo's politics like anyway? Does Japan have a south vs north divide like the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City