U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,277,899 times

Advertisements

Hello to all in the NYC forum,

I have been thinking about this for a really long time, probably ever since I was an adult. I am 32 now and this thought still goes through my head. I've noticed that many people especially those living in the warm weather states such as Florida, Arizona or California say things such as the following:

"NYC has such horrible, long, cold winters."
"The weather is lousy compared to L.A."
" How can anyone live in NYC."

And probably countless other negatives about NY weather. Those people who criticize the climate in NYC, are they just negative, bitter and angry? Or are they weather wimps that can't handle the cold? Do they like to put down others who live there?

I started this thread because it has always been a curiosity of mine to find out why so many seem to think NYC weather is so bad. In case some of you may not know, I seem to handle the cold weather better than hot weather. I know myself better than anyone else can. I can handle temperatures down to as low as 30F without too much trouble if I am well dressed. I have not spent an extensive amount of time in an area that gets snow but I have dealt with temperatures of at least 30F or below with wind or rain at least 4 or 5 times and to be honest while it was chilly I actually would prefer 30F instead of 95F for example. Maybe I'm just built for colder weather perhaps?

So I just want to get some perspective and feedback from current NYC residents on whether they think NYC weather is criticized by so many. Is it really that bad even for someone like me that has a higher tolerance for the cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM

631 posts, read 1,110,480 times
nyc gets much colder than 30f...

Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,102,180 times
I'm from NYC, but I hate the cold. I can understand where a lot of people are coming from. When it's cold I lack the motivation to go outside and socialize as much as I would in the summer. I just like warm weather because I can relax and kick back, unlike when it's cold outside and yeaaaaah.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM

648 posts, read 1,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
nyc gets much colder than 30f...
NYC does not get MUCH colder than that, but the freezing mark does not even matter. 30 degrees feels the same as 15 degrees to me. Either way, you are not wearing flip flops.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM

4,675 posts, read 4,011,949 times
Answer: people are sissies. Winter in the north means you have to invest in a coat and gloves, and there will be roughly 5 days of the year that are seriously b*tchin cold where you won't want to hang around outside for long. Big deal. People from LA and Arizona like to talk about how pleasant their weather is, but the fact is most of them are never outside to enjoy it other than a few minutes per day when they walk to and from their automobiles.

Let them be. I figure the more people that are convinced that weather in New York, Chicago, & elsewhere further from the Tropic of Capricorn is tolerable, the higher the rents will be for the rest of us.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
The only thing the NYC winter is good for is keeping the crime down somewhat. Bad winter winter weather means more auto accidents also, even if its only fender benders.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,102,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Answer: people are sissies. Winter in the north means you have to invest in a coat and gloves, and there will be roughly 5 days of the year that are seriously b*tchin cold where you won't want to hang around outside for long. Big deal. People from LA and Arizona like to talk about how pleasant their weather is, but the fact is most of them are never outside to enjoy it other than a few minutes per day when they walk to and from their automobiles.

Let them be. I figure the more people that are convinced that weather in New York, Chicago, & elsewhere further from the Tropic of Capricorn is tolerable, the higher the rents will be for the rest of us.
Or people just don't like cold weather.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
I was born in NYC and I hate NYC's Winters, my body is simply not built for the cold, I'm built for the heat (and extreme heat) I handle it very well. When people exaggerate and say "NYC is extremely cold, cloudy, snowy, icy, etc. oh I'm gonna die" it does get a little annoying because I know its not true even though NYC's Winters are too cold for me. NYC isn't as bad as cities further North and even some cities further West.

I love NYC's Spring and Summer and people say it has one of the best Falls, I hate Fall so I'm just taking their word for it lol.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 PM

939 posts, read 2,712,966 times
NYC this winter isn't that bad. I lived in Chicago half my life and Austin,TX most of the other half and have felt the extremes. I've only been bonechilling cold once here in NYC. Chicago was bitterly cold most of the winter and Austin had a few cold days(well cool for NYers) but there was always warm weather right after the cold snap. NYC's winter doesn't bother me at all. The humidity of the summer bothers me a lot more though.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
The only thing the NYC winter is good for is keeping the crime down somewhat. Bad winter winter weather means more auto accidents also, even if its only fender benders.
Actually August has the highest rate of fatal accidents. Since the weather is nice people pay less attentions. Sure there are a lot of little accidents from ice but bad car accidents tend to happen when the weather is nicer. people let their gaurd down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or