Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times

Advertisements

Thanks Crisp, I'll check it out ...

I'll be honest, I'm frugal. lol !! I hate eating out, but I do enjoy cooking at home- I know what's going into it, and I can get human size portions and have left overs. haaa !! "Frugal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM

72 posts, read 262,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Mahmoun's Falafel on St. Marks has decent sized Falafel sandwiches for $2.50. Yes, $2.50.
Oh man, those are outstanding, and they make them for you in like 30 seconds flat. And after drinking for a few hours at the Continental around the corner, these are a GODSEND

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
I have to agree with ChinaTown. You get some really great stuff there if you know where to look.

But so long as you stay away from the Chains in Times Square, or the High Brow places (steak houses that charge $10 for creamed spinach??? CREAMED SPINACH??!?) you can find MANY places that serve some great foods.

Right now the easiest seem to be various asian foods (I think Korean Alley has some great soup/tofu/stew places that are pretty inexpensive.... until you order the Seafood Scallion Pancake!! ), Indian foods, especially in the carts, and some other "ethnic" variants.

There are also the Lunch Specials at some places allowing a decent meal for $10 or so.

The hardest to find IN the city are GENUINE mexican (not Caliente Cab, NOT Chexican, and not Burritoville/Blockhead/Chipoltle), "old school" family Italian (that you do not have to pay over $12 for a plate of ziti with tomato sauce on it), GERMAN (my god, amazing how many cuisines can't make a decent Wurst!). You can find some strange small spots, but I am still amazed we do not have things like Crepe shacks (saw them on vacation, just get one made and handed over in font of you like it was no more than a hot dog!).

All said though, I am so spoiled on NYC. There are some otehr cities that do compare, but looking at neighborhoods in the burbs.......

Well, lets put it this way. I am reminded of my own Mayonaise roots.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 20,648 times
Smile Gotta try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Not cheap places, unfortunately. For something a little pricier, Locanda Verde on Greenwich Street is a fantastic restaurant for any time of day (brunch, lunch, dinner).
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Ah well, lots of cheap places are just a taxi fare or subway ride away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City