U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,088,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Never said the whole city was a big ghetto. I did say there was a possibilty of being a victim of a crime even in areas like Times Square and the Upper East Side. Where crimes like robbery are common. The low income areas however are as bad as the low income areas anywhere else in the country, only difference is you see more things here becuase more density.

The White population in NYC is SHRINKING. Asian population is steadily growing. However the Latino and Black populations are exploding. Not African American but West Indian.

As for income demographics, people in poor areas of the city now are poorer then in the past. Incomes are not keeping up with inflation and living cost. I don't remember so many homeless families back in the 80's and early 90's as I see now. It used to be just junkies and criminals in the shelters. Now you see families as well. You also have people using all their money to pay the rent, with no cash left over. Check to check. Lower income demographic grows thanks to welfare, low income housing programs. So does the rich who can afford high living cost. The middle class continue to leave the city becuase there is nothing for them. You can get a better deal anywhere else.

Schools, NYC schools are a joke. Next. Downfall of this nation.

Crime is rising in the city of NY, only the public will not know that with the compstat fudging. Those in areas accually effected by crime already know this. Terror threats, one was foiled today. Luck. Then you have overdue natural disaters.

NYC is a fine city. However it deals with the same issues any other city faces. It's not a perfect place but no place is.
60% of Blacks in NYC are African and West Indian migrants. Not only do they tend to be more educated and monied, but less crime prone (save for Jamaicans). Africans is what keeping the West Bronx even somewhat intact. Yes, Latinos are exploding, but they differ between the hoods. Queen's Latino hoods seem much more working class then the poverty of Highbridge, Sapinish Harlem etc...

Asians are going to take over the City thou. Chinese number like 500-600,000. Nevermind Indians, Arabs and the Koreans.

As for Whites, the Bronx is Bleeding Whites, yes. I predict they'll fall below 10% total by 2010. But with the city using the borough as it's dumping ground, can you blame them? Queens is also losing them very fast as well, as racist Italians/Irish don't like the Chinese/Koreans taking over NE Queens.

But Brooklyn is seeing them increase. Borough Park will never be let go of by the Orthodox. Ditto Midwood. The Russians are all over Ocean Parkway/Kings Hwy as well as Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach. And Bensonhurst is still overwhelmingly Italian and Bay Ridge is still hanging in there. Then of course, Park Slope/South Brooklyn is all rich and the Manhattanites are making their way through Ft Green/Clinton Hill and eventually Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights. Willaimsburg is all Hipsters and Greenpoint is Polish. Sunset Park will gentrify too.

Blacks are taking over Flatlands thou. That area is destined to be the next Canarsie.

And as for Manhattan, when you minus the projects, Harlem is gentrifying. Washngton Heights is already nice west of Broadway and Inwood is getting there.

Bronx/Queens/SI= Whites leaving
Manhattan/Brooklyn = White explosion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM

318 posts, read 927,061 times
south brooklyn's not rich, definitely NOT predominantly... not once you get way out there. i'm in bensonhurst. it's on of the few middle class hoods in brooklyn and actually italians are becoming outnumbered by all the asians. it's changed a lot in recent years.

i can sum up how much i love bensonhurst with one of many similarly lovely stories - asian woman with cart pushes me, pretty hard, out of the way just to stop, cutting me off, and hock the biggest loogie ever on the platform. lovely. that's about how i feel there lately. oh! and the seedy string of day laborers all along 65 street whom i have no choice by to pass on the way to the train every am. being a woman walking by myself to the train it just feels icky and i want to run home and take another shower.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:38 PM

ps also hipsters are all over greenpoint and bushwick, seeping as far as the L or G will take them.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM

1,536 posts, read 306,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
60% of Blacks in NYC are African and West Indian migrants. Not only do they tend to be more educated and monied, but less crime prone (save for Jamaicans). Africans is what keeping the West Bronx even somewhat intact. Yes, Latinos are exploding, but they differ between the hoods. Queen's Latino hoods seem much more working class then the poverty of Highbridge, Sapinish Harlem etc...

Asians are going to take over the City thou. Chinese number like 500-600,000. Nevermind Indians, Arabs and the Koreans.

As for Whites, the Bronx is Bleeding Whites, yes. I predict they'll fall below 10% total by 2010. But with the city using the borough as it's dumping ground, can you blame them? Queens is also losing them very fast as well, as racist Italians/Irish don't like the Chinese/Koreans taking over NE Queens.

But Brooklyn is seeing them increase. Borough Park will never be let go of by the Orthodox. Ditto Midwood. The Russians are all over Ocean Parkway/Kings Hwy as well as Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach. And Bensonhurst is still overwhelmingly Italian and Bay Ridge is still hanging in there. Then of course, Park Slope/South Brooklyn is all rich and the Manhattanites are making their way through Ft Green/Clinton Hill and eventually Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights. Willaimsburg is all Hipsters and Greenpoint is Polish. Sunset Park will gentrify too.

Blacks are taking over Flatlands thou. That area is destined to be the next Canarsie.

And as for Manhattan, when you minus the projects, Harlem is gentrifying. Washngton Heights is already nice west of Broadway and Inwood is getting there.

West Indians are not less crime prone. No nationality is more crime prone then any other. Those in poverty are more crime prone. Plus the biggest West Indian groups I see by far is Jamaicans and Hatians anyway. Also Dominicans and Puerto Ricans but they are included in the hispanic tally and PR's are shrinking in most of the city (but not heavy PR areas in the Bronx). Africans are not West Indian although they were working immigrants like Mexicans, however their children are becoming a product of New York's low income areas and schools.

And 60% of NYC blacks West Indian/African. Well they are all African but i'm pretty sure most of them are non immigrant Africans. No way 60% are immgrants.

And Queens Latinos. Corona and East Elmhurst are overrun with Dominican and Mexican gangs and drug dealers.

As for the citys White population, it continues to shrink as it has for what, 50 years now? That won't change as most Whites in NYC are not poor and either middle class or wealthy. Those middle class people are leaving NYC. Yuppies are insignificant to the overall net loss. You say Bed-Stuy/Crown Heights will be White. Well Bed-stuy has been a "growing" heavily Black area for I belive 50 years+. I don't think a few yuppies are going to change that. Especially when there are way more West Indians and Africans moving into that area. Same goes for Crown Heights, minus the Jew section, they will stay there becuase they run that area. And they don't want non Jew White yuppies either.

As for uptown Manhattan. That area will stay the way it is. Less Whites there now then the 1970's and 80's. The areas west of Broadway have ALWAYS been White. However that area is becoming more Dominican. I can see western uptown Manhattan Dominican. Central Harlem still Black. East Harlem Mexican and Puerto Ricans in the PJ's in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
ps also hipsters are all over greenpoint and bushwick, seeping as far as the L or G will take them.
Greenpoint yes. It may just become a yuppy paradise (kind of already is). Bushwick, you must be joking. That area will be overrun with Mexicans soon. All the PR's left in the housing projects. Still signifcant amount of PR's though so that may take a long time.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 PM

434 posts, read 1,088,495 times
/\ American born Blacks are leaving, tired of the bull**** NYC has given them from the 20s till today. They're being replaced by Jamaicans, Hatians, And West Africans. Even still, NYC's total Black popualtion only went up by 100,000 in the 90's, reflecting greater outward trend. I wouldn't be surprised if Blacks registered a loss in the next census.

As for Latinos, they are heavliy impoverished and have some crime issues in their neighborhoods, but they are also new here, and are not screwed up by the welfare policies that ****ed over the Ricans. There are some middle-class dominicans and Mexicans are working their way up.

Like I said, Asians are the big thing. Chinese and Koreans are flooding the city. Next is the South asians and Arabs. They'll be second to Latinos in terms of Non-white group numbers by mid-century. And their neighborhoods are kept really nice.

As for Whites, when you go to South Brooklyn on a saturday, you see white families all over. Many with 3-4 kids. Some may move out, sure, but many stay and go to the catholic schools or yeshivas. Russians are pouring in and the Jews aren't going anywhere. And as for the Italians and Irish, they're still there, just not running the game.

And don't doubt the power of yuppies. Lower Manhattan was a dump in the 1960's. It was them coming to SoHo in the early 70's that kicked things off. Even Alphabet City is getting nice. Bushwick will take a while, but it'll get better. Same with Central Brooklyn. And Morningside heights is pretty well covered by them with Coulmbia and all. Washington Heights will still retain the Dominicans, but for the most part, whites will push up there. The 180's on Ft Washington and Broadway are all yuppie now. You see them on the A. The 1 is the Dominican train.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:19 PM

359 posts, read 1,926,326 times
Quote:

I agree with 100% of what you just said. In 10 years at most we will not see any difference in neighborhoods just in Boroughs. With some diversity here and there.

Manhattan=White
Queens=Asain
Bronx=Black/Hispanic
Brooklyn=Russian(with sprinkles of west indians and other carribeans)
Staten Island=White

Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 PM

1,536 posts, read 306,060 times
Quote:
/\ American born Blacks are leaving, tired of the bull**** NYC has given them from the 20s till today. They're being replaced by Jamaicans, Hatians, And West Africans. Even still, NYC's total Black popualtion only went up by 100,000 in the 90's, reflecting greater outward trend. I wouldn't be surprised if Blacks registered a loss in the next census.

As for Latinos, they are heavliy impoverished and have some crime issues in their neighborhoods, but they are also new here, and are not screwed up by the welfare policies that ****ed over the Ricans. There are some middle-class dominicans and Mexicans are working their way up.

Like I said, Asians are the big thing. Chinese and Koreans are flooding the city. Next is the South asians and Arabs. They'll be second to Latinos in terms of Non-white group numbers by mid-century. And their neighborhoods are kept really nice.

As for Whites, when you go to South Brooklyn on a saturday, you see white families all over. Many with 3-4 kids. Some may move out, sure, but many stay and go to the catholic schools or yeshivas. Russians are pouring in and the Jews aren't going anywhere. And as for the Italians and Irish, they're still there, just not running the game.

And don't doubt the power of yuppies. Lower Manhattan was a dump in the 1960's. It was them coming to SoHo in the early 70's that kicked things off. Even Alphabet City is getting nice. Bushwick will take a while, but it'll get better. Same with Central Brooklyn. And Morningside heights is pretty well covered by them with Coulmbia and all. Washington Heights will still retain the Dominicans, but for the most part, whites will push up there. The 180's on Ft Washington and Broadway are all yuppie now. You see them on the A. The 1 is the Dominican train.
African American Blacks are on the way out, but there are a lot of island Blacks and African Blacks moving into the city. The largest groups in after Dominicans. Plus although many African American Blacks are leaving, those in public housing are not. There are so many West Indians and Africans moving to replace Blacks the Black population is still growing. They are filling in decayed Black areas and even taking over White area.

However the Latino population in NYC is exploding. Dominicans control Washington Heighs, and are taking the old White areas west of broadway to the Hudson. However they are spreading faster south and already have the old sugar hill area all the way down to W 125th and beyond. Dominicans are also expanding into the Bronx west of Jerome Avenue, north of Fordham Road they control everything west of the Grand Concorse up to Bedford Park Blvd, then pretty much the rest all the way up and from the Deegan (even beyond the Deegan) to Bronx Park. Mexicans are growing around the city, mostly around mass transit and parts of Queens. You find Mexicans growing fast in East Harlem. Puerto Ricans still own the projects and other low income housing in the area though. Bushwick has lots of PR's. But Mexicans are growing out there fast. The PRs eventually will be left in the PJs and other low income housing in that area. The South Bronx east of Jerome Ave, north to Fordham Road and the pocket east of the Grand Concourse to Webster north of Fordham Road to Bedford Park Blvd is still heavily Puerto Rican though and the population of PRs has pretty much stablized.

Asians, well I don't see many of them on average but i'm sure they will have some solid areas in Queens and lower Manhattan. I know they are growing from what I have heard.

As for Whites, again there are LESS Whites now in uptown Manhattan then there used to be. West of Broadway used to be heavily White, not anymore. White population in the city continues to decline. There are numorous factors for this. Middle class gets a better deal elseware, and most middle class in NYC are White. Decline in White birth rates in the USA and Europe. Some Whites don't like being around minorities (same goes the other way around). Fact is the White population is declining, and this is nothing new.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-02-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 PM

oh yeah, the hipsters are all over bushwick for the loft spaces. oh wait, that's "east williamsburg" doh! i have friends who swear that jefferson or dekalb off the L has some great apts. um, no thanks...

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,936,588 times
Everybody's assesment of the demographics of the city seems pretty accurate to me.

As for whites in the Bronx, the population is certainly shrinking. The largest declines seem to be among the Italian areas of Eastern Bronx (Morris Park, Country Club, Pelham Bay).

The Irish here in Woodlawn seem to be staying put, with a good number of younger Irish immigrants continuing to arrive. A lot of the Irish immigrants seem to even be putting their kids into the public Grade School in Woodlawn, as the grade school on Katonah is probably one of only a handful of public schools in the Bronx that have a majority white student body (and this occurs even after all of the Jamaicans from Wakefield and Dominicans from Bainbridge ship their kids up here). The Jews in Riverdale seem to be staying put as well. Some Hassidic people seem to be moving into Riverdale, so if anything that population might grow in the future.

The Italian areas though seem to be falling apart as the years go by. Perhaps this is because their neighborhoods are so large in comparison to Woodlawn and Riverdale which are fairly small.

Also there are next to no Italian immigrants coming over to the USA currently, and this is mainly due to the extremely low birth rate in Italy (and most of Southern Europe for that matter). Even with the Irish in Woodlawn they will generally come over here and have 2-4 kids, but the same is definitely not true of the Italian neighborhoods.

Most Italians from the Bronx seem to be fleeing to Westchester. Eastchester is the big town that they like to go to, but other towns in Westchester are popular as well, and of course you have the people going to other states.

The Asian population is something to watch. Lots of East Asians and South Asians continue to arrive to the city. While Asian neighborhood usually aren't dangerous, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that they are well kept. Generally Chinese and Indian neighborhoods seem dirtier (and definitely smell-ier) than the average white neighborhood.

What Hustla said about Northern Manhattan is also definitely true. Back in the 1970s Inwood used to be all Irish and Washington Heights was a German Jewish neighborhood. Now you'd have trouble finding an Irish person in Inwood and there are next to no white people in Washington Heights. The only white people who live up there are in Hudson Heights which is more upscale, and definitely more expensive than Washington Heights.

So basically what everyone said is true.

-The white population continues to decline. Out of that population though Russians, Hassidic Jews, & rich yuppies/hipsters will make up a larger percentage of the white population. Large numbers of Italians, Irish, and (reformed) Jews will continue to flee the city for the surrounding suburbs and other parts of the country.

-The black population stays about the same with small increases coming from West Indians and Africans while African-Americans leave for greener pastures in the south.

-The latino population will continue to explode. PR population will stabilize or decline, and the Mexican population will continue to grow tremendously. (What does everyone think of the Dominican population, will that stabilize or continue to expand???)

-The Asian population will grow, albeit not as fast as the latinos. Large numbers of people will continue to arrive from China, India, and Korea.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 AM

359 posts, read 1,926,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Everybody's assesment of the demographics of the city seems pretty accurate to me.

As for whites in the Bronx, the population is certainly shrinking. The largest declines seem to be among the Italian areas of Eastern Bronx (Morris Park, Country Club, Pelham Bay).

The Irish here in Woodlawn seem to be staying put, with a good number of younger Irish immigrants continuing to arrive. A lot of the Irish immigrants seem to even be putting their kids into the public Grade School in Woodlawn, as the grade school on Katonah is probably one of only a handful of public schools in the Bronx that have a majority white student body (and this occurs even after all of the Jamaicans from Wakefield and Dominicans from Bainbridge ship their kids up here). The Jews in Riverdale seem to be staying put as well. Some Hassidic people seem to be moving into Riverdale, so if anything that population might grow in the future.

The Italian areas though seem to be falling apart as the years go by. Perhaps this is because their neighborhoods are so large in comparison to Woodlawn and Riverdale which are fairly small.

Also there are next to no Italian immigrants coming over to the USA currently, and this is mainly due to the extremely low birth rate in Italy (and most of Southern Europe for that matter). Even with the Irish in Woodlawn they will generally come over here and have 2-4 kids, but the same is definitely not true of the Italian neighborhoods.

Most Italians from the Bronx seem to be fleeing to Westchester. Eastchester is the big town that they like to go to, but other towns in Westchester are popular as well, and of course you have the people going to other states.

The Asian population is something to watch. Lots of East Asians and South Asians continue to arrive to the city. While Asian neighborhood usually aren't dangerous, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that they are well kept. Generally Chinese and Indian neighborhoods seem dirtier (and definitely smell-ier) than the average white neighborhood.

What Hustla said about Northern Manhattan is also definitely true. Back in the 1970s Inwood used to be all Irish and Washington Heights was a German Jewish neighborhood. Now you'd have trouble finding an Irish person in Inwood and there are next to no white people in Washington Heights. The only white people who live up there are in Hudson Heights which is more upscale, and definitely more expensive than Washington Heights.

So basically what everyone said is true.

-The white population continues to decline. Out of that population though Russians, Hassidic Jews, & rich yuppies/hipsters will make up a larger percentage of the white population. Large numbers of Italians, Irish, and (reformed) Jews will continue to flee the city for the surrounding suburbs and other parts of the country.

-The black population stays about the same with small increases coming from West Indians and Africans while African-Americans leave for greener pastures in the south.

-The latino population will continue to explode. PR population will stabilize or decline, and the Mexican population will continue to grow tremendously. (What does everyone think of the Dominican population, will that stabilize or continue to expand???)

-The Asian population will grow, albeit not as fast as the latinos. Large numbers of people will continue to arrive from China, India, and Korea.
Yea Woodlawn is one of the few neighborhoods that is attracting Europeans again from over seas. You would think that Italians would stay in their neighborhood with their sense of "family" and everything like that. But they dont. Every Italian neighborhood in the 5 boroughs outside of Staten Island has fallen apart. Look at Arthur Ave. That was supposed to be the mecca but now its all albanians. Ive noticed that alot of Dominicans have left for New Jersey but not in great flocks like the Italians. But in places like East Harlem and the South Bronx the population there seems to be increasing(not sure of statistics though) but Dominicans in western areas of the Bronx seem to be leaving the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City