U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

395 posts, read 600,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post

Anyone know if bedbugs live in TVs, computers, electronics?
Bedbugs probably won't live there, per say, but they may definitely hide in those places if they feel threatened by chemicals ect. I had bedbugs hiding in the light fixture on my ceiling, and the only reason I noticed was because I happened to look up on night and see what looked like dust, so I went to inspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,095,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Aren't bed bugs invisible to the naked eye?
Only as larvae. Once they have a few blood meals under their belts they look a little like apple seeds. You can kill 'em on sight with rubbing alcohol or just about any other spray solvent, but that doesn't affect the nest(s).

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM

11,232 posts, read 10,865,463 times
Quote:
Bedbugs are so horrible and I'm tempted to just throw all my furniture away. I just got this furniture 2 years ago, but it's the only safe guarantee before I move.

Anyone know if I bedbugs live in TVs, computers, electronics?
Just think how bad you would feel if you threw away all your newish furniture and found you had moved the bugs anyhow.

The bugs like proximity to their human host/meal and if you have elecrtronic equipment in your bedroom, the bugs will hide there as readily as in a dresser.

What kind of steamer did you buy? Do you recommend it?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM

594 posts, read 760,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Just think how bad you would feel if you threw away all your newish furniture and found you had moved the bugs anyhow.

The bugs like proximity to their human host/meal and if you have elecrtronic equipment in your bedroom, the bugs will hide there as readily as in a dresser.

What kind of steamer did you buy? Do you recommend it?
I got the Sylvania 1000 Watt Steam Cleaner for $30 from Duane Reade. I emailed the manufacturer regarding the tip temperature, and they said 176 to 225 degrees. That should be good enough to kill bugs. So far it seems like a decent steamer from a reputable company.

I live in a studio so there's a chance the bugs are everywhere! Think I'll wrap my TV in plastic and leave it for 2 years. I'll have to buy a new one in the meantime.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

161 posts, read 217,059 times
Quote:
I got the Sylvania 1000 Watt Steam Cleaner for $30 from Duane Reade. I emailed the manufacturer regarding the tip temperature, and they said 176 to 225 degrees. That should be good enough to kill bugs. So far it seems like a decent steamer from a reputable company.

I live in a studio so there's a chance the bugs are everywhere! Think I'll wrap my TV in plastic and leave it for 2 years. I'll have to buy a new one in the meantime.
That's a good deal. I have a friend who said he had them a few years back and got rid of them thru repeated steaming and then wrapping his mattress in plastic (he ditched the box spring). He said the steamer was expensive and only used distilled water.

The exterminator came by for the 2nd time yesterday and sprayed- will be back to spray the other apts. in the building. Not sure how bad the infestation we have is, but he made my roommate throw out his mattress & box spring & all of the area rugs in the apt. I still have my mattress- he said there were no signs of infestation, but I have it wrapped in plastic with a mattress encasement over it. Didn't sleep at all last night.

I tried to submit a report to the bed bug registry but it didn't recognize my address. Judging by the map on there, I see Astoria and Jackson Heights are crwaling with bed bugs. They are really no joke!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:27 AM

lowkey,

Isn't the purpose of the exterminator to get rid of the bugs WITHOUT tossing almost everything you own?

Has anyone else encountered an exterminator who made them dump mattresses and carpets? (Mattresses and carpets don't come cheap!)

Nudetypist,
Any chance you could get your apartment up to 120 degrees or more for a full day and give my "partially baked" idea a shot? Nothing much to lose, right?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM

161 posts, read 217,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
lowkey,

Isn't the purpose of the exterminator to get rid of the bugs WITHOUT tossing almost everything you own?

Has anyone else encountered an exterminator who made them dump mattresses and carpets? (Mattresses and carpets don't come cheap!)
A good exterminator, sure. To be honest I have no idea how qualified this exterminator is (it's who the landlord sent) as I have never actually dealt with him face-to-face (he comes when I'm at work and my roommate is home).

When I woke up and looked outside this morning, I saw the area rugs that were in our rooms have been laid out out back (concrete type backyard area) for my neighbor's rottweiler to lay on. Now I'm like what the hell...? If they were so infested, I thought they had to be wrapped up and taken to the curb right away.

Last edited by lowkeystatus; 09-03-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 AM

I hope you neighbor knows what he's in for when the Rottie jumps up and sleeps on his Posture-Pedic!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM

15 posts, read 28,470 times
what do bedbugs look like?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 AM

potentially moving,

I hope you have a strong stomach:

Interesting Bed Bugs Pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City