Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 57,886 times

Advertisements

I worked for a fairly well known company in Brooklyn for nearly 6 years and was fired for making a bad decision concerning policy. This was my first real job out of high school so I don't have really much to put on my resume. I am very worried as to what they may be saying to prospective employers. What can I do? I haven't worked for almost five months and I'm unable to receive unemployment. I've been going on interviews with failed results. I have sent out resumes and filled out an application almost daily. I know the economy is bad but come on. They must really be giving me a bad reference and unfortunately they are the only job that I am able to list aside from summer jobs I worked at previously many years earlier. According to what I've read in other postings and on various sites-positions worked, salary, dates of employment and whether or not they would rehire me is all they can ask. Is this true and the law in New York. If someone really knows please post info for me. I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Nomad001; 02-21-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Legallly, I don't think they're permitted to say anything negative about you. I'm pretty sure all they can do is say that you worked there from _____ to ______ and what your title was.

I'm sure you can find some info on this on the Dept of Labor website or on the Work and Employment forum in City Data.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Legallly, I don't think they're permitted to say anything negative about you. I'm pretty sure all they can do is say that you worked there from _____ to ______ and what your title was.
This is true, they aren't allowed to say anything negative. However, if they want to be an a-hole, they can say things like, "you know this employee really doesn't stand out to me, I'll have to look and see if they worked here" ... That alone means you weren't worth spit.

If they're professional, they'll give the legal basics: Time frame you worked there, salary, and that's it.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
The city has resources to help people who are unemployed find work.
Workforce1: Our Services

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:

I'm sure you can find some info on this on the Dept of Labor website or on the Work and Employment forum in City Data.
I believe this to be true as well. I was a supervisor for many years and we had very strict guidelines as to what information we were allowed to give out. We could only acknowledge that the said employee did work for us from/to, that’s it! Any deviation, negative or positive could have put my job in jeopardy.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I believe this to be true as well. I was a supervisor for many years and we had very strict guidelines as to what information we were allowed to give out. We could only acknowledge that the said employee did work for us from/to, that’s it! Any deviation, negative or positive could have put my job in jeopardy.
A place where I used to work had a form letter where they would fill in the blanks if anyone called looking for a reference. Before giving the reference the company would require a letter be faxed over on company letterhead so as not to just give out references. I'm guessing they were protecting themselves from potential lawsuits.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default a few years

ago i learned of companies that will check your job references for you for a fee. you tell them what kind of questions you want them to ask your former employer about you (more in-depth questions cost more), they disguise themselves as being from another company

Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,353 times
Quote:

Really? I once had a supervisor tell me what my previous employer had told him about me when he called them for a reference... It was mostly positive, but they did tell him one specific negative thing. It was true, and I ended up getting the job anyway, so I wasn't too upset. I didn't know they weren't supposed to do that..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I didn't realize that negative comments weren't permitted, either. I thought that a previous employer was required to tell the truth; if your performance was unsatisfactory, they could indicate that on a reference request. (I suppose they could just as easily refuse to give a reference--which works out to the same thing!)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
There is no law preventing an employer from giving a negative reference.

They can legally say anything that is true, but some companies only verify dates of employment and salary. A lot of places also include "Are they rehireable" with a yes/no answer.

The easiest way to figure this out - have a friend call posing as a prospective employer calling to check your references. You'll find out exactly what they're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City