Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 PM

556 posts, read 1,443,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is really not as bad as some are making it out to be. For starters, you will have NO problem getting a yellow cab, I have also seen them in Mott Haven as well (South Bronx). Secondly, there are alot of new developments across that area, and the demographics are alot more mixed, as well as the amenities. Thirdly, there is certainly NOT alot of tension there....that is alot of BS. There was far more tension there when it was a wasteland of crime and drugs..the fact remains that people are protected in the housing that they are in (Projects/rent controlled/stabilized), so all the gentrification in the world is not changing the bottomline. They are in fact happy the area is seeing real investment and find it strange that people woudl pay so much to live there!

Nevertheless, the area is still dense with housing projects, and crime is an issue. However, unless you plan on hanging out with the homies at the Bodega or Projects at 2am, normal common sense/street smarts should be fine. Train lines are not the best though..1 line..and can be crowded.
1 line is Westside. Local train is pack and the hills over there forget about it. The Bronx>Spanish Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,015,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
1 line is Westside. Local train is pack and the hills over there forget about it. The Bronx>Spanish Harlem.
I think he meant 1 train line. I think the 6.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,031,919 times
I moved to 100 and 2nd ave last month. The surrounding area seems to be OK despite of its ugly pass. The residents are mostly blacks and Hispanics, there are also some Asians and East Europeans. NYCHA projects are everywhere with luxury rentals mixed in the area. You are save during the day, even walking through the Washington Project. People are all around. 100th street is very quiet at night, virtually no pedestrian after 9PM. If you come home late, better stick with 96th street and the avenues. FDR said, "Nothing to fear but fear itself". It may be well true here. But NEVER let your guard down.

I've not yet venture above 104st. Anyone has more experience, please share.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM

235 posts, read 1,084,658 times
I wouldn't walk around that area at night. Once the sun goes down it can get dangerous up there. Even during the day I would be careful--keep your money and cell phone out of sight an don't take any shortcuts through the PJ's.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
SouthQueens, there really isn't any reason to walk around the area at night in the first place, as that is not the kind of neighborhood it is. If you are out walking at midnight, you are more than likely looking for trouble..if you want to roam around at night, go to places that are appropriate for that..Union Square, Village, etc.

Sarah, I heard that people actually live past 104th street all the way up to 240th! In my experience, I have also heard of people that have bravely "ventured" past 104th and made it back alive, of course this is all rumors. Maybe you can amass a large group of friends, arm yourselves, and head past 104th street to see what all the hub-ub is about. But why bother right?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM

37 posts, read 166,875 times
Mod cut

Yes, people "venture" past 104th street, but there are vastly different neighborhoods between 104th and 240th street. Personally, I'd much rather live somewhere between 150th and 225th streets than anywhere between 104th (on the East Side, I'd live up to 125th on the West Side) and 150th. Nobody is saying the entire upper half of Manhattan and the Bronx are horrible cesspools of crime and drugs, we are talking about specific areas of Manhattan. Mod cut

As for roaming around at night? Believe it or not, New York City is known for it's nightlife and the majority of people living in Manhattan and the surrounding areas take advantage of that once in a while. This can result in the need to walk around at midnight or later, and if doing so is likely to get you in trouble, it's not a place I'd choose to live. I used to live on 204th street while working in a bar and I never felt unsafe walking home, no matter if it was 4 am or 4 pm. I don't think I'd feel the same on 135th street.

Additionally, *seeing* cabs doesn't mean it's easy to find one. I've *seen* cabs in every neighborhood I've lived in, but I generally take cabs if I'm in a hurry and waiting for cabs in certain areas can mean 25 minutes of standing on a corner waving away gypsy cabs. My mom lives on West 107th street and cabs are scarce even there, unless I go to Broadway or further downtown.

As for your comments about the lack of tension due to fixed housing prices...I disagree, but that's a whole other discussion.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM

235 posts, read 1,084,658 times
SoBro, I was referring to having to come home late. Like you said, at night there isn't much around there unless you're looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: