U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM

9 posts, read 15,863 times

Advertisements

Could anyone share some personal experiences about doing a reverse commute from Manhattan (particularly UES but if there is another neighborhood that would be more conducive, feel free to tell me) and parking on the street? I work in Summit and need to drive, and I am trying to figure out of this is possible. I need to be at work by 8, so would leave by 6:30 - 6:45 depending on how long the drive takes, and I would probably be back around 5:30. If it would help, I could be back as early as 4:30 on some days if necessary (but I'm not sure that would even help).

I am a teacher and of course there are some days (and a month in the summer) when school is off that I would not need to drive. This is our biggest concern. How hard is using alternate side parking on those days? Also on Saturdays I would not be able to park at meters either.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 AM

917 posts, read 2,554,133 times
What's your budget? If you're teaching in Jersey, you'll want to be on the West Side, no matter what. Crosstown traffic is gross during commute times. If you've got a large budget, the UWS is wonderful and you can get to the GWB or Lincoln Tunnel fairly easily (there will be some congestion but that's life). If you have a smaller budget, check out Inwood/Hudson Heights in the northern tip of Manhattan- quick access to the GWB. I don't know about Inwood, but if you're in the UWS, you'll probably want a garage. My boss and her daughter both live there and have cars and after 1 year of street parking, both decided to pay for garage spaces.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM

The problem is that my husband would be commuting to Long Island and it's more important for him to have the easier commute than it is for me (he will be working MUCH longer hours). Otherwise, I totally agree, the west side would be best for me. Also, I don't mind too much because my social life is pretty much centered around the east side of Manhattan anyway, that's where most of my friends live. I probably drive in once per week around 5:30 and it's not too bad to find street parking at that time (either in Murray Hill or on the meters on Madison in the 80s).

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Oh, and we'd probably like to keep to 2000 for a 1 br (we own a home outside of the city). I do think that is possible in UES, especially in the 90s (probably not in Murray Hill though).

Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
I have to be honest but I think this is going to be torture. I did a reverse commute from the Upper West Side to NJ (but not as far as Summit) for four years. Until I found that the GW Bridge (although 20 miles out of my way) was faster than the tunnels (which took 2h) I thought I'd have to quit my job. But added to the bridge, you're adding in the FDR. And THEN you're going to have to search for a legal parking space. Best of luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Wow... what time were you leaving and coming back? I'm not so worried about getting back into the city, because I already know that at the time I come back, it's fine (like I said, I do it about once a week anyway). I HAVE noticed though that if you attempt to enter the Lincoln Tunnel (and the Holland to a lesser extent) between 5-6 pm on weekdays it can be very, very difficult. I figure I can beat that and get through the tunnel by 5pm, or I could hit the gym out here on my way home from work and go after the big rush. As for the mornings, I'm not too worried about leaving the city (though from your post.. maybe I should be??) because I think I can beat some of the traffic if I leave at 6:30. I am, however, worried about the parking.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
I would be in my car at 6:30 in the morning. The tunnel is bad up to about 8PM. That's why I used the bridge. If you're not in the tunnel by 4PM, forget it.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

I wonder if it could be because we were coming from different areas. Were you coming on the turnpike past Secaucus and then looping down and around right into the tunnel? I take 78 from work and then 1/9 to the Holland, so when I take the Lincoln I go through Hoboken and drive right in. Wonder if that cuts down on the traffic. I did take a boltbus once from Baltimore that came up the turnpike and it was HORRIBLE going through the Lincoln around 5:30, so if that's what you went through, I'm glad you got out of it!

How was leaving in the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City