Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

283 posts, read 521,639 times

Advertisements

I wasn't specifically talking about you. I just think when people inquire about neighborhoods they're not at all familiar with on here it's only right to tell them the complete truth. I don't like when people disparage decent or improving areas areas either but the OP sounded like s/he was anticipating some kind of Bronx version of Williamsburg, Brooklyn that just doesn't exist.

IMO, Mott Haven is not a viable neighborhood to move to from outside the city unless you're from an equivalent neighborhood elsewhere. There's a reason for the relatively cheap rents - it's not a very desirable place to live. I don't put the other neighborhoods you named in the same boat as Mott Haven, especially not Melrose, because the poverty and blight in M.H. is considerably more noticable. Walk 138th from 3rd to Cypress or up Willis from 135th to 149th. How is that substantial improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Pookie...I do not believe my post was in anyway sugar coated or filled with real-estate-ese. If someone asked you for a neighborhood to live in for $900-$1,000 a month that was close to Manhattan, how can you NOT have SoBro or Mott Haven/Melrose/Woodstock/Port Morris/Concourse etc as viable options?

I stand by my assessment, however I also stat
ed it is my neighborhood and I am partial to it, and it does meet her requirements in a way that 95% of neighborhoods in NYC cannot. I also stated it is best for her to find anywhere to live temporarily and explore these neighborhoods herself, as this is the only way to know how it feels TO YOU. Based on her requirements, SoBro should be considered, and it IS improving substantially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Why does everything have to be the next Williamsburg? The overuse of that example is starting to bother me. Also people talk about Williamsburg like it was this really horrible crime ridden place, it was more than anything just a regular urban ethnic working class neighborhood. I actually think in some part what happened to Williamsburg is something the city should avoid not look to replicate. It's cool the area changed, it happens, but the sort of radical displacement that occurred over there is not this great thing some people make it out to be, also part of me thinks Williamsburg is gonna crash something ugly one of these days. I still think what happened over there is a lot of lights and mirrors if you ask me...but anyway back to the Bronx...

South Bronx is the next South Bronx. Personally I think it is getting better but still has a ways to go in general, lots of pretty rough parts still...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-04-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why does everything have to be the next Williamsburg? The overuse of that example is starting to bother me. Also people talk about Williamsburg like it was this really horrible crime ridden place, it was more than anything just a regular urban ethnic working class neighborhood.

South Bronx is the next South Bronx. Personally I think it is getting better but still has a ways to go in general, lots of pretty rough parts still...
That, and I don't really think it's such a great place anyway.. the fact that people are hoping that neighborhoods will aspire to be Williamsburg is a little deflating. Neighborhoods need their own identity... aspire to make it a positive one... not to be a different neighborhood.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Whoa people, I appreciate the discussion, but we've gotten way off track. No where in my posts here have I ever said anything about Williamsburg. Keep in mind that I am not new to NYC, or Williamsburg for that matter, which I did not think was "all that," as they say. I lived in NYC for about thirteen years, moved to Madison fairly recently, and am now considering returning. I lived in the South Bronx some years back, in Hunts Point, which was disastrous for me. I lasted two weeks. In my original post and beyond, my goal was, and still is, to figure out where in NYC or any of the surrounding boroughs would be a good place to live. Period. Thanks again, everyone, but please chill, ok? Peace.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Whoa people, I appreciate the discussion, but we've gotten way off track. No where in my posts here have I ever said anything about Williamsburg. Keep in mind that I am not new to NYC, or Williamsburg for that matter, which I did not think was "all that," as they say. I lived in NYC for about thirteen years, moved to Madison fairly recently, and am now considering returning. I lived in the South Bronx some years back, in Hunts Point, which was disastrous for me. I lasted two weeks. In my original post and beyond, my goal was, and still is, to figure out where in NYC or any of the surrounding boroughs would be a good place to live. Period. Thanks again, everyone, but please chill, ok? Peace.
the bronx in general is a heated topic of conversation on this forum....but lets continue with the original topic at hand for the sake of the OP.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 PM

283 posts, read 521,639 times
Quote:
Why does everything have to be the next Williamsburg? The overuse of that example is starting to bother me. Also people talk about Williamsburg like it was this really horrible crime ridden place, it was more than anything just a regular urban ethnic working class neighborhood. I actually think in some part what happened to Williamsburg is something the city should avoid not look to replicate. It's cool the area changed, it happens, but the sort of radical displacement that occurred over there is not this great thing some people make it out to be, also part of me thinks Williamsburg is gonna crash something ugly one of these days. I still think what happened over there is a lot of lights and mirrors if you ask me...but anyway back to the Bronx...

Read what the OP said:

Especially in terms of affordability, safety, and culture (i.e. artistic venues, diversity, atmosphere/vibe)? What little I've heard and read of SoBro seems to indicate that it has become an enclave or community for visual artists or economic "refugees" from SoHo or the downtown area. What about venues for poets and musicians? Cafes, lounges, restaurants, bookstore cafes, etc.? Where exactly is SoBro? So many questions.

It reads like s/he was envisioning the South Bronx as some kind of bohemian place. Thats all I meant.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:

Eh, I'm good friends with two families who have lived in Williamsburg for well over twenty years and who raised their children there. They were one of the few families to actually buy their place when it seemed absolutely ridiculous to do so. Their stories about the Williamsburg (and notably only a few blocks away from the Bedford L) of the past are not of a regular urban ethnic working class neighborhood unless you consider that to consist of dimly lit and dirty streets, drug dealers on the corners, groups of threatening youth trying to prove some useless point, and tales of how your cousin/aunt/etc were mugged or jumped.

Of course, maybe the neighborhood while it was still in the middle of a transition, where the worst were kicked out and the decent folk could afford to stay, is the ideal Williamsburg that should have been preserved and this is possibly something that parts of the South Bronx can have. There are signs of this happening though. There's a cool food co-op that's pretty recent, and there are a few interesting bars here and there catering to a fairly artistic crowd. Really though, it doesn't seem like so much of a community of artists as it is a convenient place for those who want decent proximity to other parts of the city and a decent sized space to create things that is affordable enough to let you concentrate on your craft. Maybe some critical mass could be reached at some point where it becomes worthwhile. It's a possibility, but not a particularly sure one. You might want to consider Bushwick instead (which REALLY is getting the outflux from Williamsburg).

Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, I'm good friends with two families who have lived in Williamsburg for well over twenty years and who raised their children there. They were one of the few families to actually buy their place when it seemed absolutely ridiculous to do so. Their stories about the Williamsburg (and notably only a few blocks away from the Bedford L) of the past are not of a regular urban ethnic working class neighborhood unless you consider that to consist of dimly lit and dirty streets, drug dealers on the corners, groups of threatening youth trying to prove some useless point, and tales of how your cousin/aunt/etc were mugged or jumped.

Of course, maybe the neighborhood while it was still in the middle of a transition, where the worst were kicked out and the decent folk could afford to stay, is the ideal Williamsburg that should have been preserved and this is possibly something that parts of the South Bronx can have. There are signs of this happening though. There's a cool food co-op that's pretty recent, and there are a few interesting bars here and there catering to a fairly artistic crowd. Really though, it doesn't seem like so much of a community of artists as it is a convenient place for those who want decent proximity to other parts of the city and a decent sized space to create things that is affordable enough to let you concentrate on your craft. Maybe some critical mass could be reached at some point where it becomes worthwhile. It's a possibility, but not a particularly sure one. You might want to consider Bushwick instead (which REALLY is getting the outflux from Williamsburg).
Thank you, but as I said before, I am really not interested in Williamsburg or the Williamsburg outflux. At the risk of opening up another can of worms (who knew?), many of the "hipsters" who relocated to Harlem when I was living there made the atmosphere around Edgecombe and 145th Street very tense and edgy, imo. Things got better in time, but the transition was tense for most people. What I may be looking for is a neighborhood that is relatively safe and affordable on an income of 45 to 48 K and that is either an enclave for poets, writers, musicians, etc. or at least welcoming to those of us who see our creativity as central to our lives. If, as one poster has said, this does not exist, the second best choice would be to live within in reasonable commuting distance of the West Village and the Bowery, where there are many venues.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I really believe on that salary, as a single person, you should consider SoBro. It has a growing artist community, local artist exhibits and establishments, in your budget, and excelltn proximity to Manhattan. It still has alot of the urban issues, however it is getting better, however it is not the next anything..it is staying as it is, but getting better.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I really believe on that salary, as a single person, you should consider SoBro. It has a growing artist community, local artist exhibits and establishments, in your budget, and excelltn proximity to Manhattan. It still has alot of the urban issues, however it is getting better, however it is not the next anything..it is staying as it is, but getting better.
Hey SobroGuy, SoBro is definitely on my list of neighborhoods to explore. You've been a great help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City