Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,111 times

Advertisements

- She's a Haitian citizen with a B1/B2 visa. She came to the US 4 days after the earthquake in Haiti so she does not qualify for TPS.

- She's got a 2 year old who's an American citizen.

- She has no income.

- She and her daughter are currently living with a relative.

- Wants to rent a basement apartment in Brooklyn for no more than $450/month.

- Wants to get a job doing office work or work with children since that's what she did in Haiti.

- She has no social security card or anything that says she can work in the US, legally.

My question to you all, are any of her goals (work and renting a basement apartment for $450/month) possible?

What do I tell her?

She doesn't say anything but I can see how depressed she is. She invested all her money in a daycare that she opened up in Haiti. It wasn't even a year old when the earthquake hit and now the daycare is gone and she doesn't know what her next move is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM

176 posts, read 729,787 times
I'm so sorry to hear about her situation. Rent in Brooklyn for $450 is not possible not even for a basement. She can't even rent a room for that amount a month. You said she was staying with family right? My suggestion for her is to stay with family while she find herself an off the book job. She worked with kids before I'm sure there are many people that needs a nann, word of mouth is best. She will be paid reasonable amount and if she is trusted they might give more recommendations.

Another thing is her child is citizen of US perhaps she can go and apply during this time, once she is here legally she can apply for apartment with government, she might have to live in projects until she can get on her feet job wise. Hopefully she can save some money get a lawyer or legal advise to get herself legalize. It is tough and I know she prob. does not want to continue to live with family but she has to because right now she really doesnt have a choice. She can definitely baby sit and people need to know they can trust her that is why I'm saying she can let family and friends know and they can pass the word around.

Did the US bring her here withtout any legal papers? Can she go back to them to see if they can give her something temporary so she can start working?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
doubt the basement thing will happen for 450, but she'll most likely be able to get a room with that much. Luckily the heavily Haitian areas of NY are cheaper than most areas, but the commutes aren't the greatest. She can get a room in East Flatbush, Canarsie, Southeast Queens and Far Rockaway for that much. But I highly doubt the basement situation is feasable at that price, one would be hard pressed to find such.

Catholic Charities can assist her with getting her papers straight, a friend of mine is going through the process with them now. Also there's the Bedford Haitian Community Center in Crown Heights or Haitian Americans United for Progress in Cambria Heights Queens that could possibly help. But renting a room will have to do until she gets on her feet, and I'm pretty sure there are alot of Haitian daycares which are part of Churches or independent that may be willing to employ her without too much hassle. Or maybe even American ones, the Haitian community has a wide network, once she gets a place to sleep and a roof over her head its important to utilize that network. P.S. even before the quake most haitians came on those temporary visas and it was harder then, as long as she's determined she'll be ok. Does she know any English?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,111 times
Thanks for the tips twist07! Her English is intermediate but she wants to be advanced.

Veve, she's on a visitor visa.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
She can't work here on a visitor's visa.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHelper View Post
- She's a Haitian citizen with a B1/B2 visa. She came to the US 4 days after the earthquake in Haiti so she does not qualify for TPS.

- She's got a 2 year old who's an American citizen.

- She has no income.

- She and her daughter are currently living with a relative.

- Wants to rent a basement apartment in Brooklyn for no more than $450/month.

- Wants to get a job doing office work or work with children since that's what she did in Haiti.

- She has no social security card or anything that says she can work in the US, legally.

My question to you all, are any of her goals (work and renting a basement apartment for $450/month) possible?

What do I tell her?

She doesn't say anything but I can see how depressed she is. She invested all her money in a daycare that she opened up in Haiti. It wasn't even a year old when the earthquake hit and now the daycare is gone and she doesn't know what her next move is.

well if me and my kids could stay in the basement i would had moved in but its ilegal to be in the basements with kids so im **** my damn self....... sorry to hear that sweetie!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
If she only came here 4 days after the earthquake in Haiti (January 2010), how does she have a 2 year old who is a US citizen?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
If she only came here 4 days after the earthquake in Haiti (January 2010), how does she have a 2 year old who is a US citizen?
That was my first question.

I would generally have little sympathy, but the earthquake makes a difference.

She cannot work nor rent legally---PERIOD!

Her best bet is to find help with some charity organization, as suggested. Perhaps one org will do, maybe multiple orgs. She needs help with her immigration status, so a pro bono attorney, with certainty there are charitable legal groups specializing I just such cases. You'll have to help her seek the out.

She needs shelter. Again, charitable orgs, or the city's shelter system. This is a 'sanctuary' city, so while she can't work legally, I believe the city services are available.

She needs to learn English, lots of free help available. Check the local library, the local school.

Does she go to church here? Her family's church s/b her start. Go see the Priest.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
That was my first question.

I would generally have little sympathy, but the earthquake makes a difference.

She cannot work nor rent legally---PERIOD!
Please cite your source that says people on a B1/B2 visa can't rent legally "PERIOD".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City