Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,344,065 times

Advertisements

The vote in in. Service cuts are coming
M.T.A. Approves Cuts in Subway and Bus Service - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,974,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
The vote in in. Service cuts are coming
M.T.A. Approves Cuts in Subway and Bus Service - NYTimes.com
The service goes down, but the fare goes up... how does this make ANY sense?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM

295 posts, read 1,503,664 times
The MTA lost a lot of money on the economic downslide. Bad/ risky investing: It's that simple.

Operating costs are the same & they need to fund the pension plans of the retired workers who are living longer.

Their 2nd avenue subway project must also be quite costly. Looks like it's taking a lot longer (meaning more $$) than they had originally thought.

So, to me it sounds like bad investing plus steady operating cost plus poor budget assessments equals big deficit.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM

14 posts, read 54,248 times
I say instead of making the students pay to go to school, make the MTA workers that travel for free pay. As those 2 accounting books that was kept by the MTA not so long ago needs to be thoroughly audited and they should be held accountable for it why do you keep 2 books? We go through the same nonsense every year on one level or another with the MTA needing more money for what????? The fares go up on a regular, it's one of the only jobs I know where you don't have to be on time or even close and no one bats a lash or cuts your pay. Pleassseee I say make them give up some of their cushy benefits there is the deficit right there.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 AM

203 posts, read 663,684 times
Quote:
I say instead of making the students pay to go to school, make the MTA workers that travel for free pay
I don't get why the MTA has to give students free metrocard passes...shouldn't that be something the Board of Education has to pay for? Sure, they're both govt agencies but free metrocards for students shouldn't be a liability on the MTA's books. They're job is not to educate kids or to get them to school...

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,615,314 times
I don't think free-loaders or free rides for students is to blame because if cost effective that can always be enforced through machinery or workers.

To me it seems that the way out of a budget or debt hole would be to keep the trains and buses running and ridership high.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,346,536 times
I just read that NY Times article and they are already talking about a 10-12% increase in fares, and tolling bridges (congestion pricing), in order to close this gap. Things are going to get much worse for the MTA and specifically for those that ride buses/trains and/or drive into the city. Things are gonna get very interesting real soon..

Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM

203 posts, read 663,684 times
Ahh Congestion Pricing...if they had passed it earlier, we woulda gotten $500 million from the Feds. If we pass it now...we get nothing, nada from the Feds. So remember everyone...please vote out those idiots in the NYS legislature. Especially the most powerful one...(Sheldon Silver). I don't even know if he's running??

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,346,536 times
That $500 million is looking mighty nice now...but you know how it goes..a few loudmouth groups make a raucos and the vote pandering politicians cave at the expense of our city and residents. Can't do what's right, only what gets you re-elected.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,615,314 times
I wonder how real estate will be hurt. I think people are basicly paying the same or more in exchange for less so it can't help real estate. I think the population is steadily rising in NYC yet 30 buses are being eliminated.

NJtransit could see a whooping 25% increase in fare if approved by May or June. The governor is against it though. So this isn't just a MTA thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City