Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM

147 posts, read 299,237 times

Advertisements

Well I do smoke about a bowl or two a night. On the weekends, maybe 3 bowls a day. Not what I would consider a lot, but maybe a bit more than casual. I just dont want to take a chance and fail the blood test, and have zero chances in the future for a city job. There are also ways around the urine, which Im willing to try, its the blood work Im concerned about.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM

184 posts, read 338,867 times
If you want Sanmansbro you can go through with the medical but before you do the bloodwork take a look at the codes listed on the bloodwork sheet for the lab....if you know someone in the medical field or if you take it to your doctor have him tell you if a tox screen is part of the works....if it is then decline the job for other reasons and have your name reinstated to the list at a future date......when I went for this job a couple of years ago I went through the medical with a kid who was paranoid as hell about the bloodwork because of drug reasons....he called his wife (who was a nurse) and read her the codes and she said a tox screen was not part of it.....needless to say that person is currently a sanman....again this was a couple of years ago and just my two cents.....although I don't agree with your habits I don't judge you either but please don't become a sanman and continue to do what you do because you will be putting your life and others in danger.....good luck

P.S. for anyone who declines the position you can be reinstated by writing a letter with your name/address/exam#/list #/job title/and ssn# to DCAS stating you are requesting reinstatement. Just make sure you send it certified mail and get a return receipt...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMansBro View Post
Well I do smoke about a bowl or two a night. On the weekends, maybe 3 bowls a day. Not what I would consider a lot, but maybe a bit more than casual. I just dont want to take a chance and fail the blood test, and have zero chances in the future for a city job. There are also ways around the urine, which Im willing to try, its the blood work Im concerned about.
Well I am assuming you were smart enough to stop smoking when you found out that you were going to get called for this job. What I would do if I was you would be get a take home drug test and see if you fail or pass. The blood test is more for recent use and takes a shorter period of time then the urine to get out of your system. What you could do if you test positive for the home test is this. Dont go to the orientation which would get your thrown off the list. Then you go to 1 centre street to get put back on the list. By the time they call you for orientation again you should be clean and make the nov class.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
If you want Sanmansbro you can go through with the medical but before you do the bloodwork take a look at the codes listed on the bloodwork sheet for the lab....if you know someone in the medical field or if you take it to your doctor have him tell you if a tox screen is part of the works....if it is then decline the job for other reasons and have your name reinstated to the list at a future date......when I went for this job a couple of years ago I went through the medical with a kid who was paranoid as hell about the bloodwork because of drug reasons....he called his wife (who was a nurse) and read her the codes and she said a tox screen was not part of it.....needless to say that person is currently a sanman....again this was a couple of years ago and just my two cents.....although I don't agree with your habits I don't judge you either but please don't become a sanman and continue to do what you do because you will be putting your life and others in danger.....good luck

P.S. for anyone who declines the position you can be reinstated by writing a letter with your name/address/exam#/list #/job title/and ssn# to DCAS stating you are requesting reinstatement. Just make sure you send it certified mail and get a return receipt...

How can you be putting your life or others at risk if you smoke at home on your own time? I dont smoke but come on, if you can drink when your not working there should be no reason for you not to be allowed to smoke when your not working. There is no danger to anyone if your smoking on your own time.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I only smoke when I am at home. I would never get high on the job and put anyone at risk. If you drink at all, I feel your habit is much worse than mine. I always felt like drunks were much worse than potheads. I can drive fine, walk a stright line, say the alphabet, etc, no matter how stoned I may be. Just because weed is illegal, people look at it like its the same as heroin or coke. I perform my current job without any problems, and I live a normal life. Weed isnt that bad, just illegal. Im going to go to orientation, and take it from there. Also, I havent smoke since last Monday. =)

Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Well I am assuming you were smart enough to stop smoking when you found out that you were going to get called for this job. What I would do if I was you would be get a take home drug test and see if you fail or pass. The blood test is more for recent use and takes a shorter period of time then the urine to get out of your system. What you could do if you test positive for the home test is this. Dont go to the orientation which would get your thrown off the list. Then you go to 1 centre street to get put back on the list. By the time they call you for orientation again you should be clean and make the nov class.
I am definitely gonna make a trip to West 8th and find a home test kit.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

243 posts, read 681,991 times
8;
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post

I asked the lab girl what was on the blood test and she told me cbc which is your normal yearly physical stuff and a toxocology screen.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM

46 posts, read 176,176 times
does anyone think they will hire more than 350 this year,

Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM

269 posts, read 496,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSANMAN View Post
does anyone think they will hire more than 350 this year,
Not too optimistic of them hiring more 350 this year. They only have approval for 300. They are pushin the city for that extra 50. But no approval yet. For them to go over 350. They would have too add a December class that would not be ready to go till after the first of the year. And we all know how that went last year. But to get 300 they are most likely gonna go through about 900 numbers to get to it. So if you are list number 1500 or less I would be cautiously optimistic for this round of hiring. Good Luck and be patient.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM

389 posts, read 774,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMansBro View Post
I am definitely gonna make a trip to West 8th and find a home test kit.
Sanmansbro, just curious but did you ask your 'bro' about what to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City