Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 AM

34 posts, read 77,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo123 View Post
Thank you for answering questions guys. Really new to this and to be honest a little scared too. All the what ifs are kicking in now. Few more questions what's mlp and lots?
They don't allow probationary s/w to be detached to fbf but i was told that if you transfer in it's a different story (just going on what I have been told). Mlp is done in districts they give you a broom, shovel and a pail and you walk down blocks sweeping or sometimes picking up drop offs. In lots you get a steady Monday to Friday 6-2 schedule and you go out in groups and clean vacant lots in the city sometimes by hand with rakes and mowers and sometimes with fel's and cutdowns. You will not see any truck money in lots. There are 6 lot cleaning garages - one in each borough (2 in queens) si is the hardest to get into. When you put in a transfer slip you get 3 lines for different garages.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM

128 posts, read 268,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_sanman View Post
They don't allow probationary s/w to be detached to fbf but i was told that if you transfer in it's a different story (just going on what I have been told). Mlp is done in districts they give you a broom, shovel and a pail and you walk down blocks sweeping or sometimes picking up drop offs. In lots you get a steady Monday to Friday 6-2 schedule and you go out in groups and clean vacant lots in the city sometimes by hand with rakes and mowers and sometimes with fel's and cutdowns. You will not see any truck money in lots. There are 6 lot cleaning garages - one in each borough (2 in queens) si is the hardest to get into. When you put in a transfer slip you get 3 lines for different garages.
Thank you. Bksanman

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM

176 posts, read 373,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olo123 View Post
Thanks sir charge and nabz. Im still confused basically dont care about going out of town, as long as I dont do midnights which from what I see this is what most of us are going to do.
Depending on where you are sent & that garages functions, midnight may not be such a bad thing. My 1st year, I had guys beat who came to the same garage as me, but I chose to do midnight. It was either baskets or relays for the most part. During night plow, some collection once in awhile. My reason for it though, was a steady shift. No bouncing days & nights or round robins like my fellow classmates went through.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,045,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan21 View Post
If anyone has any insight on my situation please let me know. List # 42X. Was called in 08' but just started a job in finance. Wanted to pursue that. As you all know economy and country all went to ish. I am still employed there but am in the same position with no job security. I decided Id rather take the Sanman job for great benefits, security, pension etc. I Went to DCAS building myself on 8/8/11 to be reinistated on list. They I recieved a letter dated 8/18 I am back on the list. Still have not recieved any letter for orientation or anything else. I feel I def got this in on time for Oct class but people in HR say when Sanitation request new list I will be on that one. then another person says that I might not be on till Nov. Finally another person says I might not be called until next year. Whats up with that?
Is that the fastest way to restore your name on the list? to go in person
to DCAS or can it be done by fax or mail?

With a low list# like that you would have been hired back in Aug/08.
You turned your back on DSNY back then and now you are complaining? Unreal!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM

116 posts, read 239,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan21 View Post
If anyone has any insight on my situation please let me know. List # 42X. Was called in 08' but just started a job in finance. Wanted to pursue that. As you all know economy and country all went to ish. I am still employed there but am in the same position with no job security. I decided Id rather take the Sanman job for great benefits, security, pension etc. I Went to DCAS building myself on 8/8/11 to be reinistated on list. They I recieved a letter dated 8/18 I am back on the list. Still have not recieved any letter for orientation or anything else. I feel I def got this in on time for Oct class but people in HR say when Sanitation request new list I will be on that one. then another person says that I might not be on till Nov. Finally another person says I might not be called until next year. Whats up with that?
Why isn't this guy being called now if he was reinstated to the list last month? They are calling people up to 1900, shouldn't he be allowed to get in that group?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM

24 posts, read 75,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Is that the fastest way to restore your name on the list? to go in person
to DCAS or can it be done by fax or mail?

With a low list# like that you would have been hired back in Aug/08.
You turned your back on DSNY back then and now you are complaining? Unreal!

Yea I "turned my back on them" the whole city crumbled and fell apart after that day..smarten up...yea they called me within couple of months after I took the test. As I stated earlier I started a different career shortly before they contacted me. I had to make a decision to take San or pursue the career I was in, so I stayed where I was. unfortunatley we go into a recession and am in the same position with no growth for a while. Tho I am still employed. So I still have the option to do Sanitation fortunatley. So I am back on the list and once they request an updated list for new hires I'll get the call. Lets not get so dramatic with "Turn your back" lol. Also, not at any point of my post was I complaining at all. I was just trying to get some insight. Complaining gets you nowhere in life

You can either go to DCAS yourself or mail them a letter with your info requesting to be put back on, I chose to go myself to avoid any time lagging or someone losing my paperwork.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM

8 posts, read 13,464 times
Just passed my CDL road test. Actually all 8 guys in my group passed today in the bronx. Now just waiting for final processing. See you all hopefully in the October class.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM

65 posts, read 139,670 times
medically cleared!!! BB stuck in my back and all lol.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM

156 posts, read 369,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
brooms may be a tad bit easier these days because guys may want to leave once they switch to the officer's chart as opposed to the sat/wed deal
is this confirmed? when is that switch to the officer's chart supposed to go into effect?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:54 PM

184 posts, read 338,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
is this confirmed? when is that switch to the officer's chart supposed to go into effect?

I was told this by the Business Agent and from two guys in the Queens West Broom Garage (QW-A)....whether it is going to take effect and when is anyone's guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City