Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times

Advertisements

Talks with the city on heading off the demotions of 100 Sanitation Supervisors are at a standstill and the Sanitation Officers Association is preparing for a court fight, the union president said last week.

Joseph Mannion said he had proposed a self-funded buyout under which the union would use its own funds to entice some of the 390 or so Sanitation Supervisors eligible to retire to do so, keeping other Supervisors from being demoted.

City Hall and the Sanitation Department initially liked the idea, he said, but negotiations broke down over their demand that the union agree to the city’s plan to raise the Supervisor-to-truck ratio from 1:7 to 1:12. That ratio should be negotiated, Mr. Mannion said.

“This 11th-hour bid to tie the buyout in with the ratio issue should not have been on the table,” he said."

A spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg, Jason Post, responded that the city “has never wavered from the position that the number of trucks a Supervisor is responsible for is at the discretion of the Sanitation Commissioner.”

The union’s attorneys had already been preparing to take the case to court, Mr. Mannion said, but were unlikely to do so before this week at the earliest. The demotions are supposed to take effect Jan. 1.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Continuation of today article from the Chief.

Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith and Sanitation Commissioner John J. Doherty announced a plan Oct. 22 eliminating 100 vacant Sanitation Supervisor slots, demoting another 100 to Sanitation Worker, and hiring 100 new Sanitation Workers.

“This is a really a win-win for everyone,” Mr. Goldsmith, who is charged by Mayor Bloomberg with reducing the cost of city services, said at the time. “We don’t have to lay off any workers. We hope it will be an ongoing example in other city agencies.” He promised “more changes like this” throughout the city.

The intent in Sanitation is to prevent people from getting laid off,” Mr. Bloomberg said at the same forum. Layoffs of entry-level workers can be avoided by demoting higher-paid people, while still meeting the city’s obligation to make sure its current employees remain on the job, he said. He noted that 80 percent of the city government’s expenses come in the departments of Police, Fire, Correction, Sanitation and Education, and that 80 percent of those agencies’ expenses go to salaries and pension benefits.

Forty-five of the threatened Sanitation Supervisors are on probation. Of the other 55, 30 or 40 have more than two years in the post, said John Hansen, who has been a Supervisor for three years. “I have more time as a Supervisor than as a Sanitation Worker,” he said.

He said he agreed with an earlier comment by Mr. Mannion that the threatened Supervisors feel “broken...I studied for the test like you wouldn’t believe...We’re being cheated.”

Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 PM

124 posts, read 214,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE123 View Post
there is def going to be a 100 new hires.... but i was wondering that also cause i dont think people are going in on wednesday are they and if not then there prob only is gunna be a class of 50 and then there wud prob be another 50 after this one in jan which is hope for the guys that didnt get called yet...wut was the last list number to get called so far did anyone close call them up and see wut they said
so far 573 is the highest i've seen on the list that got the call..

Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM

257 posts, read 507,852 times
woww i hope it does go to court and they win its really not fair to do this to them... i mean i want to get on this job but not in a situation like this

Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 21,783 times
This happened in the 70s if I'm not mistaken

Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
woww i hope it does go to court and they win its really not fair to do this to them... i mean i want to get on this job but not in a situation like this
But doesn't Bloomberg appoint the judges in NYC?
I don't believe in the courts where corruption is rampant.You really have to consider violence as an option. If somebody hits you, you hit them back harder no?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM

253 posts, read 540,172 times
Is this class only 50 sanmen? I hope so... If it got to 574 with 50... Next 50 I have a shot!!!
I'm just rambling forgive me.... Ive been staring at this board for two years....

Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM

253 posts, read 540,172 times
Quote:
^^^^^ bringing it back lol blow that dust cloud off... 7xx u kno ur in charge of it now right the honor has been passed on

also ur going for cdl this week right call them up and ask wutsup with calling wen people have training
This list is a team effort ; ) ..... Im going for the cdl on the 29th... I think they are just tring to make sure they have enough people with CDLs. Doesnt seem like they know if these supers are gonna get demoted (I hope not cause that is BS)....
Good luck to everyone who has been called... Dont crap on me cause you have more seniority..

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM

123 posts, read 250,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
Is this class only 50 sanmen? I hope so... If it got to 574 with 50... Next 50 I have a shot!!!
I'm just rambling forgive me.... Ive been staring at this board for two years....

you are not alone 7xx. I still don't think it looks good for you b/c you gotta remember there are 2(?) classes at FBF for CDL training coming up. they skipped over all those guys to get the first 50, so I'm thinking the 2nd 50 will include a lot of those guys, so the list will move much slower. I'm thinking they split the classes up 50 and 50 just to give the guys w/o a CDL the chance to get it and make the 2nd 50. but what the hell do I know?!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM

58 posts, read 106,370 times
I am in soo excite for the rest dont lose hope i wish you guys the best and see some of you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City