Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 36,332 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm a former San man, I did 18 months then left to become a teacher only to get laid off and not be able to find a job since. I requested to be reinstated and was approved but my deadline is september 27. Is there any way I can reach out to the union and have them reinstate me before the deadline? Would they even care to fight for me?? I know it was dumb of me to leave but I was young...I'm 24 right now, and didn't realize how great of a job this is. Any advise is much appreciated...thank you

Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formersanman View Post
Hey I'm a former San man, I did 18 months then left to become a teacher only to get laid off and not be able to find a job since. I requested to be reinstated and was approved but my deadline is september 27. Is there any way I can reach out to the union and have them reinstate me before the deadline? Would they even care to fight for me?? I know it was dumb of me to leave but I was young...I'm 24 right now, and didn't realize how great of a job this is. Any advise is much appreciated...thank you
"And didn't realize how great of a job this is."...Hmm, I bet you weren't singing that tune when you left DSNY for a teaching position.

You are going to have to wait until they give the next DSNY exam in 5 yrs or so....the recent list extension means nothing since there will no new hiring for a very long time.

I read your post on the strongest forum and for you to suggest that you be placed on the 6063 list when you even never took the exam is INSANE! Why should you
be placed ahead of others from the 6063 list who have
been waiting for so long and who really want this job?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
"And didn't realize how great of a job this is."...Hmm, I bet you weren't singing that tune when you left DSNY for a teaching position.

You are going to have to wait until they give the next DSNY exam in 5 yrs or so....the recent list extension means nothing since there will no new hiring for a very long time.

I read your post on the strongest forum and for you to suggest that you be placed on the 6063 list when you even never took the exam is INSANE! Why should you
be placed ahead of others from the 6063 list who have
been waiting for so long and who really want this job?

I really wasnt singing a different tune when I left. I enjoyed my time there only reason I left was cause I invested 6 years of my life to something and I wanted to see it through. And even then it was a really tough decision. I know my suggestion on the strongest forum really made no sense, but right now I'm in desperation mode. I didn't mean for it to upset anyone.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
The city didnt layoff teachers. Infact the city didnt layoff any city workers. I am confused with this post.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 AM

22 posts, read 49,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynmomof3 View Post
The list has been extended to Feb. 2014, so the person with rank 6300 on the list should definitely be called before the list expires. They usually call up to ranks of 7-8000. Good luck!
Hello everyone! The last list number that was reached from the last sanitation test was over 8000 and actually close to about 8500 or so. But I said it before this time around there is going to be a lot of people retiring in the next three and a half years. Remember that 1 in 4 people turn down the job simply because of the starting pay. And for other various reasons. I know this because I have a friend that works in queens and he has been OTJ for almost 7 years now. And that he is doing a lot of out of towns because of the shortage in workers. Just last week they told him that its going to be that way for a little while because of sanmen are retiring. The last big hiring was about 20 years ago. The list ending in 2014 is great news for all of us! It gives us a better shot.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I really wasnt singing a different tune when I left. I enjoyed my time there only reason I left was cause I invested 6 years of my life to something and I wanted to see it through. And even then it was a really tough decision. I know my suggestion on the strongest forum really made no sense, but right now I'm in desperation mode. I didn't mean for it to upset anyone.
I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a reinstatement list, please excuse my frustration as you being reinstated has no effect on my status on the 6063 list. If I had only taken that exam back in 2003 or even the one before that in 1999, both of those lists went very deep.

I do know a guy who recently got laid off with the MTA(Bus Operator) and he is on the 6063 list with a very low number(under 80) because of vet/residency credits. He was called by the MTA a few months before DSNY, but now he wants to be reinstated on the DSNY list unless he gets called back from the MTA in the near future.

If you only had 1 more year of college left I would have postponed that until you had some seniority with DSNY
maybe by then have a steady tissue with set hours so you could plan your college courses.

But to juggle college with the hectic schedule of a DSNY probie, that is almost impossible. When you called in sick don't you have to show proof(dr's note) when you come back? what about home visits when you called in sick? you can't leave the house other then going to see your doctor right?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post

But to juggle college with the hectic schedule of a DSNY probie, that is almost impossible. When you called in sick don't you have to show proof(dr's note) when you come back? what about home visits when you called in sick? you can't leave the house other then going to see your doctor right?
I would never call out sick because of that reason. Instead I would "go emergency" which you're allowed to do a certain number of times. But after a few call outdo you would get a complaint no matter what proof you brought in. If I could do thing over again I would have definitely done things differently.

I'm wondering if since this last exam was extended because of the hiring freeze, if I could get my deadline to be reinstated extended as well. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I would never call out sick because of that reason. Instead I would "go emergency" which you're allowed to do a certain number of times. But after a few call outdo you would get a complaint no matter what proof you brought in. If I could do thing over again I would have definitely done things differently.

I'm wondering if since this last exam was extended because of the hiring freeze, if I could get my deadline to be reinstated extended as well. Anyone know anything about this?
We all have made decisions in life that have come back to haunt us. You have a valid point there, it's worth giving it a shot. You would need to speak to somebody in the union I suppose. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM

35 posts, read 58,418 times
this is what i understand, the list from the 2007 exam has been extended till 2014...

NOW here's the question...

can they still give a test next year? because by law the city is required to.. and if they do, can they not create a new list until the old list expires?

also, right now it's pretty much bloomberg that decides whether he gives the go ahead for 2 more sanitation classes right? if the hiring freeze is lifted, can the list be "un-extended"? lol if that's even a word who knows..but anyone with insight it'd be appreciated

Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
this is what i understand, the list from the 2007 exam has been extended till 2014...

NOW here's the question...

can they still give a test next year? because by law the city is required to.. and if they do, can they not create a new list until the old list expires?

also, right now it's pretty much bloomberg that decides whether he gives the go ahead for 2 more sanitation classes right? if the hiring freeze is lifted, can the list be "un-extended"? lol if that's even a word who knows..but anyone with insight it'd be appreciated
Dude, you are just going to have to wait a little bit longer to take the next DSNY exam. There is not going to be one next spring/summer. Why make up a term like unextended? when such a thing doesn't even exist?

If the people on the 6063 list have to wait(hiring freeze) then so can YOU and the thousands of other people who want to take the next DSNY exam. Think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City