Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM

153 posts, read 526,473 times

Advertisements

Wife and I (20 somethings) comin to NYC by way of Amtrak from Baltimore for 1 day. This will be our first time ever in the city and want to get the most out of one whole day. My problem is that I have no idea what to do and to be honest I think I've always been intimidated of NYC for some time so I haven't been, lol ( I've been everywhere else ), but Im not hiding anymore- goin to see what the big fuss is about!. Its seems like sooo much to do. What is the must do in nyc for first timers comin from Texas. I'm sure I will back but I want to have the best experience possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Take one of the bus tours in the morning so you can get a feeling of each neighborhood in the city and decide what interests you most. Then just walk around those areas. That's pretty much all you can do in a day, but at least you'll get a glimpse of most of the sights that way.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:35 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Go to the top of either the Empire State Building or the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center for a view of most of the city.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I agree, just use this trip to explore, since if you schedule too many things that have fixed times, you'll be rushing around town so much that you'd not get a chance to experience the city.

If you like NY Deli foods, Katz's is old school, and hard to beat for the experience. Also, there are numerous other places for just about every type of cuisine.

Central Park is always a good bet, and you could do a brief tour of the Museum of Natural History or The Met while in the immediate area.

You could ride the Staten Island Ferry for a good perspective on the skyline and the harbor. Similarly, you could also walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and explore adjacent Brooklyn (DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights) and parts of nearby Lower Manhattan.

Another option would be to see if you could find a walking tour that would coincide with your visit. Many of the business improvement districts and neighborhood groups sponsor walking tours that vary in duration, some of which are quite good.

If you want to see a Broadway show, head over to one of the TKTS booths for half price tickets for that day's performance. It will take a couple of hours out of the day, but could be a memorable experience, especially if you see a show that you'd like. Going to TKTS on the day of, leaves your schedule open, so that if you opt not to do so, you have not pre-booked tickets for a show.

You could go shopping for interesting items around Canal Street (just don't by the fakes) and nearby SoHo.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM

21 posts, read 32,223 times
My advice as a tourist would be to start at Central Park then get the subway, train 1, (it only costs like $3 or something like that) and head south.

In 1 day we managed Central Park, Statue Of Liberty, Ground Zero, Empire State building, Rockerfella Centre.

It can be done! My top tips would be get an early start and have a good breakfast and ready to go by 7.30am-latest. Goes without saying, wear comfy footwear and make sure you have appropriate clothing. If you want to go up the Empire State Building, for the Statue of Liberty be prepaired to que for an hour at least- we went up the Rockerfella and the view was probably just as good without much of a wait. Don't be scared of New York, its amazing. I was nervous of using subways etc for the first time but its a piece of pie!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-08-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Just get out and explore on foot. I would save the time-consuming attractions for when you actually have time. Why spend 1/3 of your time in NYC in a line staring at someone's back?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
I think you should narrow down your interests first. Do you like theatre, museums/history, nature? Check out a tourist website and get an idea of some of the places you may want to see. VERY IMPORTANT: Look at a map. NYC is big. You might want to concentrate in just one area. And be sure to wear very comfortable, broken in shoes, and bring bandaids with you!

Once you decide what types of things you may want to see, we can help you more effectively.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM

182 posts, read 511,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Just get out and explore on foot. I would save the time-consuming attractions for when you actually have time. Why spend 1/3 of your time in NYC in a line staring at someone's back?
personally, this is what i would do as well...well walk around/take subways to interesting spots.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
Here's what I suggest; Take the Circle Line Tour. This way you can cruise around all of Manhattan and see all the buildings, bridges and attractions. The tour lasts about three hours. From there I would try to see the Empire State Building, Check out the spectacular views. Try to get in and see a Broadway Play and dinner at Carmines.
You would see a lot and experience NY in a great way.

Have a great time and let us know what you ended up doing.

Tom

Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Also, are you bringing any children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City