U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM

88 posts, read 277,052 times
Default subway conductor / motorman test

After spending several years as a corporate slave, I have decided for a career change. I have always love the subway system, and i am truly interested in learning more about it. With that being said, I am also aware of the budget cut that is facing the MTA. How will this affect hiring? and what is the process like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:08 AM

208 posts, read 596,696 times
I'm a motorman. Since 2000 they opened the job title (technically 'train operator') to open competitive testing and in the last decade they have given a total of 3 open competitive exams for train operator. Prior to 2000 it was given only to MTA employees as a promotional exam for conductors and others within the ranks.
To be eligible to take the test , the minimum requirements are to have a HS Diploma or GED plus 5 years of full time work experience in any job. You can substitute up to 4 years of college for work but you still would need at least 1 year of full time work experience on the books , the MTA doesn't want to hire anybody without some form of work history to operate trains since it is such a responsible position.
If you score high on the open competitive exam you will be called down for a full medical exam and drug testing and then you'll go through an in depth background investigation. The total process from taking the test to being hired assuming you score high and have no medical holds or backgorund issues typically take 3 - 3 1/2 years.
They just gave a test for motorman and one for conductor last year. The MTA has been hiring a lot of motormen (myself included) in the last 4 years in order to fill the ranks and cut down on overtime , and they are pretty much well stocked at that position right now. They won't be giving another open competitive test for at least 3-4 years , so it's basically a certainty the fastest you could get called for the job is 7-8 years from now if you take the next test. Frankly , even the people that took last years test are in limbo right now since nobody knows what the MTA's hiring plans are , or what the unions take will be on continuing to give open competitive tests if union members in other titles are in danger of being laid off.
If you do take the test , pass the medical , and background and get called , the training program lasts almost 4 months if you go to the A division (numbered lines) and almost 6 months if you go to the B division (lettered lines).
It is a good job and worth having and I recommend you go for it if given the chance. However , if you wait and take the open competitive exam (assuming they give another one for train operator) as I said you're in for a 7-8 year wait.
You could take another test for another job title and get hired and get into the MTA then take the train operator promotionel exam when it's given , but realistically it's going to take you about the same amount of time either way.
I wish you the best of luck , if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM

This is an unsubstantiated rumor I am posting for anyone who is following the threads regarding hiring for motormen ... what I am hearing through the grapevine is that test #2085 is going to expire , and a new class of T/O's is tentatively set to be hired in June or July from the test that was given most recently , meaning that list is going to be established and activated. Good news for anyone who took the recent test , bad news for anyone who was still hoping to get called off 2085. Once again this is a rumor I have from a source I consider relaible but by no means am I posting it as a statement of fact.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 13,552 times
does anyone know if mta is hiring from o/c list for conductor, exam #8094

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,552 times
which was given in dec 08

Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,449,242 times
Those of us who happen to work for MTA aren't immune to the rumor syndrome. I know that a new class of conductors came out very recently, but not which list they were on.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 AM

I really don't know. Best I can do is ask a few TSS's and dispatchers and see if anyone knows. My guess is they are only going to know rumors , but somebody may know something more. If I get any news I'll post back here. I know a lot of motormen and conductors with high seniority that have been holding on and hanging around in the last year seeing the state of affairs down here and what's on the horizon , have been flocking out the door , so unlike people who want to take a future test and get hired which is going to take some considerable time , if you are already on a list and have been waiting a while , there is cause for optimism.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 AM

I've heard that MTA is in the process of working up retirement packages that will be offered to all titles throughout the system (although the numbers I've heard indicate that nobody is going to accept such an offer unless they've already got their papers in their back pocket). Should large numbers of people actually leave at once, there will be new hirings at all titles--the explanation for this apparent paradox is that new people would be coming on at a lower tier, and therefore cost MTA less.

All we can do is wait to see what really happens.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,915,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I've heard that MTA is in the process of working up retirement packages that will be offered to all titles throughout the system (although the numbers I've heard indicate that nobody is going to accept such an offer unless they've already got their papers in their back pocket). Should large numbers of people actually leave at once, there will be new hirings at all titles--the explanation for this apparent paradox is that new people would be coming on at a lower tier, and therefore cost MTA less.

All we can do is wait to see what really happens.
Like a severance package so to speak. The way they are they are going to offer peanuts. The new tier if passed and agreed to by the unions would be 30/55?

People are living longer these days therefore they have to work longer,but this is a cost saving move(long term) by the MTA. Besides the federal government will eventually raise the full retirement age to 70.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 AM

I don't believe that a new tier is something any union has much of a say in. They're set by the state, and everyone who gets hired after the designated date has to live with it.

I do know that some employees were offered "severance packages" of $20,000. Whoever thinks that sounds like a good deal is certainly welcome to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City