U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM

61 posts, read 340,134 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Like to make another inquiry about the following location:

153-50 89th Avenue, Queens (Jamaica?) NY, 11432.

How is the neighborhood (safe, clean)? How is the transportation (subway lines, buses, express buses)? Any good, quality stores nearby (delis, grocery stores, retail stores)? Are there many different nationalities residing in this area? Nearby parks?

Once again, any info./comments given is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,075,435 times
It's really not so great.. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I don't know about terms of danger, but it's just a pretty shady part of town, and there's not really any "quality" stores.. it's Jamaica, lol. I would say the area is mostly black and central Americans, but I haven't taken a census. The F train is right by there.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Smile Moda - new development in Queens, NY

Thank you Analyticalkeys for your response. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,643 times
i lived over there my whole life and will b moving into this building and its fine!!..i dont feel like i am in danger, well i never felt that way, lol....the J, E, and F trains goes there and alot of buses....its a busy area but i have nothing bad to really say....gr8 location, and it even improves the neighborhood.....it a well deserved change for jamaica queens

Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Smile Moda - new development in Queens, NY

Thank you QueensFinest for responding. Greatly appreciated. I was looking at the website and the photos look very nice and all the amenities that are available/provided are pluses.

Congratulations on your new place!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 AM

38 posts, read 89,921 times
Congratulations, QueensFinest. I remember when Jamaica was the place to shop and go to the main branch of the Queens Library. I hope this development means that the long awaired revival of Jamaica is taking place.
Advantages of Jamaica: proximity of great transportation, including the AirTrain. Proximity of great Queens neighborhoods and Long Island. If you lived there, you could get to great beaches in less than an hour, without a car.
Shopping may not be there yet, but a short subway ride gets you to Queens Center and all the new discount stores in Rego Park Center. Buses and LIRR can take you to Long Island shopping as well.
I can't say anything about the area at night, but during the day the area is bustling, and I would not really call it "shady".

Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,381,877 times
yeah, jamaica is a decent area. forget the haters...with that said, for the price you pay for those apartments, you could live in an area of queens thats closer to manhattan.

*shrugs*

and the area is NOT mostly black ppl and central americans (and there are black ppl from central america for the record...but whatever). the area is mostly central americans and east indians. the area is NOT shady. the area is working class. who cares about quality stores. you're just living there. you want quality stores, you know where to go. the f train (or the e, j, z) will take you into the city. of course it'll take like an hour or so to get there...
lirr is there, 2434234 buses are there.

as for "quality stuff" and not shopping in jamaica, what is that supposed to mean?? the OP can get on the train and shop in manhattan, just like anybody else not living in manhattan does.

i'm 100% sure that everybody in jackson heights that has it like that shops in manhattan for their "quality stuff."

dunno, ppl talking bad about jamaica, that have no experience in jamaica, that just go by what they heard or what they think from what they heard, irks me.

with all of that said, there is no way i would pay most of those prices for these apartments in jamaica when i could live elsewhere in queens and be closer to manhattan. astoria is a better option IMHO.

Last edited by eek; 04-05-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,391,999 times
What is moda

Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM

283 posts, read 436,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgal123 View Post
Congratulations, QueensFinest. I remember when Jamaica was the place to shop and go to the main branch of the Queens Library. I hope this development means that the long awaired revival of Jamaica is taking place.
Advantages of Jamaica: proximity of great transportation, including the AirTrain. Proximity of great Queens neighborhoods and Long Island. If you lived there, you could get to great beaches in less than an hour, without a car.
Shopping may not be there yet, but a short subway ride gets you to Queens Center and all the new discount stores in Rego Park Center. Buses and LIRR can take you to Long Island shopping as well.
I can't say anything about the area at night, but during the day the area is bustling, and I would not really call it "shady".
Shopping isn't there? Um, there's over 300 stores on Jamaica Ave. and people make trips from out of town just to shop there. It's just that it's a discount district for a different demographic, not the 5th Ave. set.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

8,321 posts, read 19,360,944 times
Nothing against Jamaica but $1,200/mo is too much for a studio if you have to go into Manhattan every day.It's at least an hour on the subway or pay more for LIRR.Sounds like a great place only if you work at Kennedy.
Have you thought about or checked out any places in New Jersey(Hoboken,Jersey City) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or