U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-09-2007, 09:13 PM

259 posts, read 610,600 times
Quote:
When you say you can still get a 6 family house for under 600K do you mean all 6 units? Or do you mean 1 unit out of the 6.
Quote:
It means I can buy the house (which basically would be like two rowhomes or a walk-up), all 6 untis, for 600k. I can then sell or rent out the remaining units, which turns me a nice profit. That's why Bushwick will gentrify rapidly.

That is if you can get the government subsidized section 8 poke people out of the units before you try and fix up and sell the dumps to suckers!!

Quote:
Yuppies in Bushwick? Let me give you a historical perspective on this hood. My family owned a horse boarding stable here in the 1800's which was converted to a car garage and we remained in the area until 1977. We lived on Knickerbocker and Linden during the 1970's. The housing stock is tremendous and was built by the German Immigrants that dominated the area at the turn of the 20th century. It is sort of a shame that some of the best built housing stock outside of Europe would be completely driven into the deepest of Ghettos. These homes are built like fortresses with the best stone.

In the time span of 15 years the neigborhood went from a European imigrant working class community to a poverty filled welfare drenched ghetto. During the 1977 blackout the welfare hordes burned much of the neighborhood to the ground. This was the end of the Bushwick of old. The neighborhood turned to a complete slum after 1977. The majority of residents made a living collecting welfare or bolstered their income with drug sales. The streets became an absolute jungle after dark.

During the late 1990's but the area was crawling with crime. It was literally on every sultry corner. It was one of the strongest drug selling neighborhoods in the city. The only reason for an outsider to go down there would be to buy drugs, pick up whores or chop a hot car.

On a summer night the streets would be teeming with all sorts of action and everyone is outside on the corner. Every open store is a drug spot and drugs and prostitution sales are conducted openly. This is not a safe place even for a grown man to work through.

An outsider walking around there would be a target. It would only be a matter of time for a trust fund type to become a target. Too many bored, broke, stick up kids to let a Yuppie herb pass by without getting taxed. It is unthinkable that this area could change to allow Yuppies and hipsters to dwell here in safety. This area will maintain its hardcore edge for the foreseeable future.
How true!! All of it! The historical part and the present situation! I remember up until about twenty years ago that there were many old Germans still living in the red tenements to the south of the J line at the Wycoff L transfer. There were still plenty of stores along Wycoff ave to shop in. Not to mention many middle class whites were still able to shop and walk through the area to the south and along Wycoff ave in safety. And people were able to exit the Halsey street LL station and walk up to Ridgewood in tranquility. But that area slipped very fast. When I visited the area less than 10 years later in the middle 1990's I was shocked and disgusted at what I saw. I felt like vomiting after eating at a pizza shop that recently closed around the corner on Mytle Because I saw abondoned buildings overlapping the Queens side of the boarder. All that I can say from my observations is that any buildings that have been regentrified were occuppied by non-whites and section 8 creatures. As for these so-called regentrifiers moving into Bushwyck???? I will attempt to clear up this debate. All that I can say a few Russian mobsters have opened shops all over Brooklyn and in terrible places like East New York ,Bedsty and Bushwick not to mention their merchandice is not entirely slavic either ya know. Russians have lots of arabic merchandice in their stores and cater to Arabs because many former USSR republics were arab and Muslim. Many of the Russian Euros are Arab and oriental Muslims many who have hispanic like physical features and live off government assistance programs and section 8 rental units. Maybe it is these people that are moving into Bushwick? If this is true? then no creditable regentrification has taken place here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dee62; 06-09-2007 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM

10 posts, read 64,833 times
Smile Which subway stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyB View Post
Which would you choose...
Condo in Bushwick around the corner from L-train stop; 1bed/bath, 650 sqft $320K facing train and gas station or $270K, 550sqft facing back lot and common area.

Which would you choose and why (even if neither)? What about resale value.

What do you think about these condos that are springing up in Bushwick, would you make the "investment"?

thanks
What L station is your first option?

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:12 PM

48 posts, read 366,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Most of the new construction buildings in Bushwick are under low income housing only programs. The Brownstones are probably the only thing market rate in the area and most of them are occupied by Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.
"Most of the new construction are under low income??"Where are your facts.
Saying so does not necessitate it to be true. These are my facts from wikipedia

The New Bushwick
East Williamsburg on the left

In the 2000s, in the wake of lower crime rates citywide and a shortage of cheap housing in "hip" neighborhoods such as Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Gowanus, a new influx of whites moved into converted-warehouse lofts, brownstones, and other renovated buildings. And while Murders and Grand Larcenies are higher in the 83rd precinct now than they were to start the decade[13], property values are increasing from speculation, and gentrification is beginning to be noticed by the community. Bushwick's 83d Precinct has a similar crime rate to neighboring Williamsburg's 90th precinct. [14] Residents of the former artists colony in Gowanus are already making plans for moving to Bushwick.[15] Hipster nightlife has begun to stir at venues like Goodbye Blue Monday, and Potion.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM

1,536 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
"Most of the new construction are under low income??"Where are your facts.
Saying so does not necessitate it to be true. These are my facts from wikipedia

The New Bushwick

In the 2000s, in the wake of lower crime rates citywide and a shortage of cheap housing in "hip" neighborhoods such as Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Gowanus, a new influx of whites moved into converted-warehouse lofts, brownstones, and other renovated buildings. And while Murders and Grand Larcenies are higher in the 83rd precinct now than they were to start the decade[13], property values are increasing from speculation, and gentrification is beginning to be noticed by the community. Bushwick's 83d Precinct has a similar crime rate to neighboring Williamsburg's 90th precinct. [14] Residents of the former artists colony in Gowanus are already making plans for moving to Bushwick.[15] Hipster nightlife has begun to stir at venues like Goodbye Blue Monday, and Potion.
NYC has a low income housing shortage and needs to address the growing low income population, ESPECIALLY in areas like Bushwick (A low income area).

The middle class is leaving NYC, not moving into Bushwick.

A few yuppies may move in, but they are insignificant.

The rich, they don't want to live in areas like Bushwick.

That leaves the lower income people who need the most housing and make up the majority in areas like that.

Sorry but your full of ****. I don't know where you get your facts. The Times? Haha. You just need to use your head and see these areas first hand.

Oh and as for crime rates. Bushwick has a lot of crime. It's not the worst area in Brooklyn, but it's a really bad neighborhood. Drugs, broken families, povety, isn't exactly a recipe for a safe neighborhood. Those bull**** city stats are meaningless. Don't make me get into that too.

BTW: Wikipedia is a joke. Find a better source like maybe census data for a start.

Unread 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM

259 posts, read 610,600 times
You guys I just thought some of you look might like to look through this Web on Bushwick and Brooklyn! Click previous and next at the top and bottom of each picture to move forward or back!

Bushwick '77: The All Hands Fire - Brooklyn, NY : citynoise.org

Last edited by Dee62; 06-11-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Unread 06-11-2007, 10:30 PM

1,536 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
You guys I just thought some of you look might like to look through this Web on Bushwick and Brooklyn! Click previous and next at the top and bottom of each picture to move forward or back!

Bushwick '77: The All Hands Fire - Brooklyn, NY : citynoise.org
Nice photos Moderator cut: copyright photos

Could it happen again? Sure. I thought Sean Bell was going to end up like this but the city was smart and let information out on stormy days (like what some light looting in lower income areas).

Right now with such a manpower shortage in the NYPD, I don't know how we could do anything.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-13-2007 at 06:08 PM..

Unread 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,205 times
Default oh please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
That is if you can get the government subsidized section 8 poke people out of the units before you try and fix up and sell the dumps to suckers!!

How true!! All of it! The historical part and the present situation! I remember up until about twenty years ago that there were many old Germans still living in the red tenements to the south of the J line at the Wycoff L transfer. There were still plenty of stores along Wycoff ave to shop in. Not to mention many middle class whites were still able to shop and walk through the area to the south and along Wycoff ave in safety. And people were able to exit the Halsey street LL station and walk up to Ridgewood in tranquility. But that area slipped very fast. When I visited the area less than 10 years later in the middle 1990's I was shocked and disgusted at what I saw. I felt like vomiting after eating at a pizza shop that recently closed around the corner on Mytle Because I saw abondoned buildings overlapping the Queens side of the boarder. All that I can say from my observations is that any buildings that have been regentrified were occuppied by non-whites and section 8 creatures. As for these so-called regentrifiers moving into Bushwyck???? I will attempt to clear up this debate. All that I can say a few Russian mobsters have opened shops all over Brooklyn and in terrible places like East New York ,Bedsty and Bushwick not to mention their merchandice is not entirely slavic either ya know. Russians have lots of arabic merchandice in their stores and cater to Arabs because many former USSR republics were arab and Muslim. Many of the Russian Euros are Arab and oriental Muslims many who have hispanic like physical features and live off government assistance programs and section 8 rental units. Maybe it is these people that are moving into Bushwick? If this is true? then no creditable regentrification has taken place here!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright the only reason why bushwick is the way it is is because people like you are so pessimistic about the situation and it seems to me that people like you only want to contain the people that live in bushwick IN BUSHWICk- why? well as you guys very well expressed with horrible grammar is that there still is so much racism and prejudice! like white people don't live off welfare, like white people dont live in section 8 housing, like bushwick is the only neighborhood in new york that provides welfare and section 8 housing. people like you are what keep "people like them" in that area with your narrow minds and racist souls. its not that bushwick's residents love living in their situation but their congressmen don't help better their neighborhoods like ridgewood's did ([url=http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04EFDD1339F936A1575BC0A9629582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all]Stopping Blight at the Border; Two Paths for Ridgewood, Queens, and Bushwick, Brooklyn - New York Times[/url])
and "yuppies" and regentrification- please, it is more URBAN RENEWAL!

Unread 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM

9,194 posts, read 15,779,526 times
how do these threads get rejuvenated 10 months later???

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 04-16-2008, 06:06 PM

370 posts, read 826,928 times
Bushwick is still nasty although its better. But still nobody wants to live there.
And gangs. Lots of them with tower PJs.

Unread 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,096,453 times
Sometimes I wonder the same thing. People must be using the search button and looking for stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
how do these threads get rejuvenated 10 months later???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City