Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 15,540 times

Advertisements

Some people told me that many luxury condos in NYC are often filled with people who travel a lot or have multiple homes, in which up to 50-70% units are usually unoccupied at any given time. Some people are mere investors who counting on property appreciation, or perhaps are wealthy executives who are just in town a few weeks of the year.

...Does this mean that my condo building will be a rather lonely empty place to live? Does anybody have any personal experience with the overall atmosphere of a luxury condo in manhattan? Does anybody live in one of these empty "investor" condo buildings. Does everyone pretty much keep to themselves? Or is it easy to meet new people, around the buildings recreational facilities? ...I'm so confused/surprised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:10 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2nyc View Post
Some people told me that many luxury condos in NYC are often filled with people who travel a lot or have multiple homes, in which up to 50-70% units are usually unoccupied at any given time. Some people are mere investors who counting on property appreciation, or perhaps are wealthy executives who are just in town a few weeks of the year.

...Does this mean that my condo building will be a rather lonely empty place to live? Does anybody have any personal experience with the overall atmosphere of a luxury condo in manhattan? Does anybody live in one of these empty "investor" condo buildings. Does everyone pretty much keep to themselves? Or is it easy to meet new people, around the buildings recreational facilities? ...I'm so confused/surprised
I wouldn't say it's as high as 50-70%, it's more like 10-25 percent.

I've got a few friends that live in new luxury condo buildings. Most of the residents keep to themselves but are friendly if you speak to them.

I met my GF in the elevator of a friends building.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
I was wondering this myself about luxuary condos. Also, do these building have boards where they interview you and accept you as a tennant or not? If they dont allow you to reside there do they at least give you a reason?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM

169 posts, read 489,945 times
Believe me, you want the tenants NOT to live there...lol....I'm in a condo.....not luxury, by any means, and the noise from my upstairs neighbor...(.no carpeting...heard her having sex on Friday night!!!!)...is disheartening. Granted, I'm pretty sure a luxury condo building in Manhattan is going to be built with concrete decks.....wish my building was

Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
New Yorkers tend to keep to themselves in general, especially in an apartment building. If you want to meet people, join a club or go out to a bar, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
If it's a condo, then there's no interview. Cooperatives (co-ops) have board interviews. The larger the building, generally, the easier the interview.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 PM

I'm sorry if i seem ignorant but I have no idea what the difference between a condo, co-op, and apartment is lol. I'm not from a city but I want to move to NYC within a couple years.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Condo- You buy title to your apartment, your specific unit. Same as a house purchase.

Cooperative (co-op)- You buy shares of a corporation that owns the building and often the land the building sits on. Your percentage ownership of the building is usually proportional to the size of your unit vs everyone else's. Corporation has a board (some of the residents) that must approve share transfers (i.e. sales) and as an independent entity can basically do whatever they want. Price per square foot in sales is lower for coops than condos due to the illiquidity (risk of rejected sales by the board) but maintenance (common charges + property taxes \) is higher as the corporation often owns a mortgage on the whole building or the underlying land. New buildings are condos in NYC, old ones are coops.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks! That was very informative. I was thinking it had something to do with the physical aspects of the building itself because they all look like apartments to me.lol!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2nyc View Post
Or is it easy to meet new people, around the buildings recreational facilities? ...I'm so confused/surprised
It's certainly possible and always nice (to make new friends in your building), but I wouldn't bank on it. Think about the common areas and the dynamic of each (assuming your fellow residents are working professionals and not vacationers). Lobby: say hi to the doorman, walk straight through, pick up your mail and any dry cleaning and/or packages. Gym: people busy working out don't like to be disturbed in the middle. Private lounge or screening room: private parties, it's not like people just casually hang out there with fellow residents all that often. Your best bet is the elevator or roof/terrace if there is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City