Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 65,188 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Hell's Kitchen on the far West Side, and have applied for a new building on West 140th Street between Riverside/Broadway.

In walking around the neighborhood during the day, and after dark (past 8pm) in February, I was happy to see 4 beat cops on Amsterdam (between 145 and 135). However, on Broadway, I saw diddly police presence. This puzzled me, as I believe I did see business entrepreneurs on several corners along Broadway between 139 and 135.

Are there dealers operating on that stretch of Broadway, am and/or pm? Or was I imagining things?

I'm concerned, as my prospective building is very near there, and I would wait for the bus/train on that stretch of Broadway.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
imo if you can live in hell's kitchen, you can live in hamilton heights. they are both eclectic neighborhoods, with hells kitchen having more of a theatrical vibe, but definitely not any safer. my capitals are not working again on this site.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
The dealers are everywhere in W.H. Seriously, A.A or dominican....its such a mess of drugs over there. Good luck. Those blocks get PACKED in the spring/summer.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
W.H. is iffy. I feel that Hell's Kitchen is a more safer hood when it comes to drug dealing. Also, much more hip. If I had a choice...I would pick HK.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
W.H. is iffy. I feel that Hell's Kitchen is a more safer hood when it comes to drug dealing..
are you for real? the drug dealing is just more sophisticated down there. but there is much, much more.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
are you for real? the drug dealing is just more sophisticated down there. but there is much, much more.
Really? Much much more? I find that really hard to believe. I know you're from Harlem and you love the neighborhood etc.....but just cause a couple of "starbucks" goes up doesn't mean that the current residents just all decide to go away. It has an insane amount of drug dealing. Today was a absolute mess. Broadway it's a mecca for dealers....going all the way up to Washington Heights. I'm not saying its as bad as it was 20 years ago, nowhere is, but I can't help but fell that you're sugercoating alot that goes on in Harlem. You see the dudes on the corners? Or in the stoops? What do you think they're just hanging out? No. The large majority of them are selling drugs. That neighborhood has an enormous drug problem. It always have. It's an extension of Washington Heights, which as you know is the most drug saturated area of the city. To compare it to Hells Kitchen is simply laughable.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 PM

213 posts, read 508,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnienyc View Post
I currently live in Hell's Kitchen on the far West Side, and have applied for a new building on West 140th Street between Riverside/Broadway.

In walking around the neighborhood during the day, and after dark (past 8pm) in February, I was happy to see 4 beat cops on Amsterdam (between 145 and 135). However, on Broadway, I saw diddly police presence. This puzzled me, as I believe I did see business entrepreneurs on several corners along Broadway between 139 and 135.

Are there dealers operating on that stretch of Broadway, am and/or pm? Or was I imagining things?

I'm concerned, as my prospective building is very near there, and I would wait for the bus/train on that stretch of Broadway.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks.
I live in the area, and know of the building you're applying to, as I also know of people who're trying to apply for it too. I think its funded by that Fortune Society group that's housed in what used to be an abandoned church, right next to the building (the building's being constructed on what used to be a vacant lot/makeshift parking lot). That block's been pretty dead (in a good way) whenever I've gone through it, day and night.

As for the loitering and hanging out on stoops........its just a part of Hispanic culture, for better and for worse. All the police prescence in the world ain't gonna change that. Some of those who loiter and hang out on stoops are just chillin' and having fun.........some. But I can see why an outsider might be intimidated, hell I've lived here my whole life and have come to hate the loitering myself. I've learned that nothing good comes from spending your days "chillin' on the block" all the time. Lot of bad influences.

I think you'll be alright, this area of HH/WH has improved A LOT in the last ten years. My mother has lived here for almost 30 years; trust me when I say that she's seen the worst. Mind your business, don't let your guard down (i.e acting like a lost tourist) and you'll be alright.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Really? Much much more? I find that really hard to believe. I know you're from Harlem and you love the neighborhood etc.....but just cause a couple of "starbucks" goes up doesn't mean that the current residents just all decide to go away. It has an insane amount of drug dealing. Today was a absolute mess. Broadway it's a mecca for dealers....going all the way up to Washington Heights. I'm not saying its as bad as it was 20 years ago, nowhere is, but I can't help but fell that you're sugercoating alot that goes on in Harlem. You see the dudes on the corners? Or in the stoops? What do you think they're just hanging out? No. The large majority of them are selling drugs. That neighborhood has an enormous drug problem. It always have. It's an extension of Washington Heights, which as you know is the most drug saturated area of the city. To compare it to Hells Kitchen is simply laughable.
much more always has been, there are projects and other subsidized housing in hells kitchen just like in harlem. there are more brothels and street prostitution, and other organized crime activities down there, that go on at a much higher level than it ever did in harlem. you are sugar coating that area or you are just naive to it and only see the upscale buildings in the area when you go down there.

i can depend on you and other posters to tell all about the bad in washington heights and harlem, so i don't need to repeat it. i just try to make people not familiar with the areas aware of the good things there as well. i walked those same streets, see those same guys, and i saw many walking by my side fall. but it doesn't have to be that way. heroin is all over the suburbs now, in million dollar neighborhoods, but everyone doesn't have to go that way.

i don't know that harlem and washington heights are the most drug saturated areas of the city. i knew people that grew up in college point, and throgs neck, and never had problems buying in those areas, also they had much more money to spend, got larger amounts, and better quality, so they said.

maybe they loiter on the streets and you can tell right off in harlem or washington heights what they are about. where in other neighborhoods they may wear a trench coat and carry a briefcase while they make a sale. it all boils down to the same thing.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Hell's Kitchen was and still is to an extent known for having a lot of junkies. LES being the other neighborhood that is infamous for that.

OP I believe this is the building you are talking about?

http://www.castlegardensnyc.com/Amen...20Features.pdf

http://castlegardensnyc.com/

Go for it! If you can get in. Riverside is great. I would have loved to apply but I don't qualify since I "make too much." I think those income guidelines are crazy.

As for drug dealers I see your concern since they can potentially take over a block or even a building.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-20-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Move on up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City