Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
On the Upper East Side we don't walk on asphalt...we have concrete sidewalks. Do YOU have asphalt sidewalks where you live?
Actually, in NYCHA complexes, they have asphalt walkways connecting the buildings to each other and to the main sidewalk.

In any case, I wouldn't say the UES is the safest neighborhood in the city. There are probably a lot of outer borough neighborhoods that are safer. I mean, it is an urban area, and with the subway, people could come down from areas like the South Bronx to commit crime (I mean, there was a guy from East Elmhurst who groped women on the UES).

But that being said, it is far from being "plagued with rapes and murders" or whatever she said. It's still very safe, but there are safer areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,678 times
I've lived in Smith Houses close to ten yrs and I absolutely Love it! The location is prime, the views are SPECTACULAR and the overall convenience cannot be beat. I grew up in Brooklyn/Queens in mostly blk/hispanic neighborhoods and never gave it a second thought until I re-located to the L.E.S., where multiple ethnic groups live/work amongst each other, I adore that. Of course this is NYCHA so the building is certainly "no frills" but the apartment is roomy, heat/hot wtr are consistent and repairs are done promptly, what more can I ask for. Bottom line, unless I hit the jackpot, I have no plans of re-locating any time soon. If I were to hit, I think I'd stay in Lower Mann anyway (depending on the sum of $$) Knickerbocker Village (across frm Smith) or Battery Park City would be my top picks.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:35 PM

83 posts, read 75,483 times
A murder in public housing reveals both feuds and fears | The Villager Newspaper

Old 05-30-2016, 05:04 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
^^^ article from 2013 asianlivesmatter... come on now

Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 AM

83 posts, read 75,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
^^^ article from 2013 asianlivesmatter... come on now
Did the crime rates in East New York drop significantly from 2013 to 2016? Are there no more drug dealers on the corner? Shootings? Stabbings? Murders? Is it now all of a sudden the Upper East Side of Brooklyn? Come on now...

Old 06-14-2016, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,678 times
I remember this unfortunate incident. I didn't know the young man nor his family but I do remember there where many rumours as to why this senseless act took place. One thing that seemed consistent was that it was personal, he was def familiar with his killer. I stated this, to point out, as horrific as this situation was, it was not a random act of violence. I'm not one to be out at that time of the morning, or late at night but it is not out of fear. I practice common sense and precaution but I would do so if I lived in a co-op on Park avenue or on a farm in the mid-west. Bottom line, Alfred E. Smith is located in a prime area, with lots to offer and the place I am happy to call Home.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 537 times
I grew up living near the Smith projects. I live the Knickerbocker village which is right across the street. The Smith projects were ****ing terrible and yes I was scared to **** being a white boy to walk in the middle Of the projects. However I knew I was going to get out fortune I want to college and escaped.
Oh my buddies some chowder who stated that are dead. Most from heroin overdose and other drugs. I think God every day I got out of that hellhole area. What always perplexed me was why the black and the white and the Puerto Ricans couldn’t get together and realize we all lived in the same **** hole and help each other out. Instead all it did was faster more hatred and crime. Very sad!
I consider myself just one lucky white boy got out alive

Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Smith is tame af

Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Smith is tame af
I heard they nothing to mess with. Honestly you can't sleep on any projects man. You can get snooked anywhere.

I walk over there on my lunch break sometimes tho, I walk on Catherine Street.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City