U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 23 days ago)

30,336 posts, read 35,071,992 times
You can pick as many races as you want. Considering that Puerto Ricans are generally of African, European(mainly Spanish) and Native American(Taino mainly) ancestry, you can pick all three, if they apply. Keep in mind people that Hispanic/Latino is NOT a race, but an ethnicity. There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I really don't understand why the Census does this, when basically every other type of form that exists doesn't.
It's simply about economics, just like anything that has to do with race, really. They use the information to give an idea of where to distribute funding.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I believe Latinos fall into the "white" category. This opens up a can of worms, because many Hispanic ethnicities are mixes of Spanish with Indian/indigenous, while others have black in the mix. I can see how it could cause confusion. My own personal opinion, all in all, I categorize Latinos as 'white'.

I don't know why Alaskans would be even have their own category. Native American is Native American (although I say "Native Indian").

I am Azorian (Portuguese), and I've always check-marked 'white' in such questionaires. But in this current census, my husband mentioned that I probably should check Hispanic, and that took me by surprise. I tossed it back and forth, not sure of which way to swing, but stayed with 'white'.

The whole damn process is getting so convoluted.
Most in this country do too: Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This census has to be the most convoluted survey ever. What exactly are they measuring with these categories that osculate between race and ethnicity. If they are going to allow some people to be properly represented all people should be allowed to be represented. Americans are astoundingly ignorant when when considering ethnicity and this census is a clear example of that.

Anyone with origins from Kazakhstan to the British isles then south to Africa and west to the Azores is just "white". What is white in this country? White is a Anglo-Saxon protestant that identifies with the mainstream consumer culture. Obama and his American family is white, my family and I are not. White certainly does not describe me so there is no way I could be confused with "white". Nor do I have any negro features so I am not "black". With nowhere to go I settled on Latino since my background and culture is from the southern part of Europe where Latino culture was born thousands of years ago and still holds sway. They can take their "white" and go paint a wall with it.

While millions of people with diverse European backgrounds are ethically cleansed with the label "white", Orientals/Asians are divided into 20 different nationalities on the same census? Why can't my people get the same level of representation? How can mulattoes from the Caribbean be considered Latino while the people from the land where Latino(the language & culture) was spoken are not Latino and considered white? This is a backwards survey that was written by a backwater people with a poor understanding of ethnicity.
Read this: RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

and listen to this: Tim Wise on the Creation of Whiteness (Clip) Video | Red Room

Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papuja View Post
It's because the census's purpose is to gather statistics about the population, including their ethnicities, etc. When you hear that the US has 11% African Americans, for example, that info is from the census. No other forms have any reason to ask the question.

Maybe they should just have a list of all countries and ask a person to check off all that apply.... and for those who don't know, (there are a LOT who don't know where their ancestors immigrated from) some other self written category. I agree that "white" is a little outdated... maybe "European" ancestry?

It is complicated, whew! I do find it interesting to see population's makeup/changes when the census results are released, though.
It's more like 12-13%, give or take.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,055,748 times
Supermario..why would you check other race and put mulatto, when mulatto is white and black..and you can simply check both those boxes on the census. That adds yet another layer of confusion.

I will agree that the whole thing is convoluted, and as I stated before, I cannot really choose "white" as a racial category for myself because A: White is not a race, just whatever ethnicities America chooses to call white. Caucasian is a race. B: I am not black, and not asian, so by process of elimination I am forced to choose white. If caucasian were an option I would simply choose that.

However, as bluedog stated, I don't think America can stand the idea that arabs, europeans, and a significant percentage of Hispanics are also caucasian and thus all fall under the same category. However, they can simply have "caucasian" and then have subsets to check off as they do for Hispanics and Asians. It would have the correct racial classification (caucasian), and the subsets of European derived, Arab, Indian (from India), and Hispanic for an accurate representation of America. But I suspect the results would be too scary for this country to handle. This is sad.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

952 posts, read 1,328,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Supermario..why would you check other race and put mulatto, when mulatto is white and black..and you can simply check both those boxes on the census. That adds yet another layer of confusion.

I will agree that the whole thing is convoluted, and as I stated before, I cannot really choose "white" as a racial category for myself because A: White is not a race, just whatever ethnicities America chooses to call white. Caucasian is a race. B: I am not black, and not asian, so by process of elimination I am forced to choose white. If caucasian were an option I would simply choose that.

However, as bluedog stated, I don't think America can stand the idea that arabs, europeans, and a significant percentage of Hispanics are also caucasian and thus all fall under the same category. However, they can simply have "caucasian" and then have subsets to check off as they do for Hispanics and Asians. It would have the correct racial classification (caucasian), and the subsets of European derived, Arab, Indian (from India), and Hispanic for an accurate representation of America. But I suspect the results would be too scary for this country to handle. This is sad.
Sobro, I'm assuming you are Caribbean Hispanic, and Caribbean Hispanics mostly are mixed with Caucasian and African and if you're puerto rican add Taino to the mix. You can choose more than one box. I recall in a past post, atleast I think it was you, when it was said that the essence of Latinos is being mixed. I mean thats what makes latinos unique among other groups, you're not a race but combination of them all. So just mark more than one box, problem solved.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This census has to be the most convoluted survey ever. What exactly are they measuring with these categories that osculate between race and ethnicity. If they are going to allow some people to be properly represented all people should be allowed to be represented. Americans are astoundingly ignorant when when considering ethnicity and this census is a clear example of that.

Anyone with origins from Kazakhstan to the British isles then south to Africa and west to the Azores is just "white". What is white in this country? White is a Anglo-Saxon protestant that identifies with the mainstream consumer culture. Obama and his American family is white, my family and I are not. White certainly does not describe me so there is no way I could be confused with "white". Nor do I have any negro features so I am not "black". With nowhere to go I settled on Latino since my background and culture is from the southern part of Europe where Latino culture was born thousands of years ago and still holds sway. They can take their "white" and go paint a wall with it.

While millions of people with diverse European backgrounds are ethically cleansed with the label "white", Orientals/Asians are divided into 20 different nationalities on the same census? Why can't my people get the same level of representation? How can mulattoes from the Caribbean be considered Latino while the people from the land where Latino(the language & culture) was spoken are not Latino and considered white? This is a backwards survey that was written by a backwater people with a poor understanding of ethnicity.
I have to agree with you, I was very displeased with this survey and was actually offended to mark off the box that had "Negro" in it, like its 1965 again. And yes they should have represented other groups the same as they did for Latino and Asian. In the white box even people who are caucasian but not white are marked off like Arabs, how will we get an accurate count of people of Middle Eastern descent if we don't specify. Same thing with Caribbean Blacks or Blacks from Africa. But I think the name "Latino" comes from Latin America, which has a different demographic than Spain or Portugal.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,055,748 times
Twist theoretically we are all a mxture or races..as there is nobody that is pure anything..we are all different degrees of one or the other. My primary issue is why are you forced to choose a category called white, when it is not a race but whatever America deems certain ethnic groups. Caucasian is a race..which would encompass Europeans, Arabs, many Hispanics, and Indians (from India). Clearly there is a purpose in this choice..and based on what bluedog indicated, I would tend to agree with him.

Twist...as a result of the census the way it is now, it is impossible to know how many arabs/middle easterners are in this country because they simply choose white? Some other race? Who knows...I think it is purposeful as a large segment of the country, as bluedog indicated, would be mortified to know the actual numbers. Fear is a big motivator and tool to control people in this country (and probably every country for that matter).

Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Twist theoretically we are all a mxture or races..as there is nobody that is pure anything..we are all different degrees of one or the other. My primary issue is why are you forced to choose a category called white, when it is not a race but whatever America deems certain ethnic groups. Caucasian is a race..which would encompass Europeans, Arabs, many Hispanics, and Indians (from India). Clearly there is a purpose in this choice..and based on what bluedog indicated, I would tend to agree with him.

Twist...as a result of the census the way it is now, it is impossible to know how many arabs/middle easterners are in this country because they simply choose white? Some other race? Who knows...I think it is purposeful as a large segment of the country, as bluedog indicated, would be mortified to know the actual numbers. Fear is a big motivator and tool to control people in this country (and probably every country for that matter).
I do agree with you on that, besides that race is a social construct and human beings are 99.9% genetically the same. But you must admit, while we all are not pure any thing, no other group of people or ethnicity is as mixed as Latinos. I mean, its not uncommon to have in one Latino family with the same mother and father for one kid to have strong African features and the other strong European, then have this reflected throught the whole family. Its not as common with other ethnicities, this is why I stated what i did. But you're right, white is actually a sub-group of Caucasian, as many Arabs, some Iberians (Spanish and Portugese) and other Meditteranean people are brown to tan in tones. The census really reflects more of a perception as opposed to a fact. I hate the fact that I can't select my nationality and I have to mark a box which contains the word "Negro". Yet I must be accounted for even if it is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City