U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM

7,523 posts, read 12,623,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
They should have included a "multiracial" category since many latinos/hispanics fall in there. where i work, that's what we did.
You can choose more than one, or just mark other. I don't think they could have possibly been more democratic.

I have an older Puerto-Rican co-worker who tells me at one time race used to go on your birth certificate and there were only two choices back then, Black or White.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-29-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
In my house we chose other and wrote in mulatto ....after choosing Dominican.

And you can't categorize Latinos as white. Do you know how many Latinos are of African descent? A very large number.
Or you could have just picked Latino, wrote in Dominican, and then marked White and Black (which is what a mulatto is). I really didn't find that part of the census that hard to figure and I believe it's the same format from 2000...

One thing I didn't get is if your Latino and mestizo like my girl (she's Colombian) you would pick White and Native American but then they have write-in-box for Tribe. Lol, most Latino people don't know what the heck tribe. What would they put there? My girl just left that blank...

Today at work someone did make a valid complaint. They were like why should we have to put our name and DOB and I agree. I don't see why that is necessary and that is just going to scare people away from filling it...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-29-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,463,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Or you could have just picked Latino, wrote in Dominican, and then marked White and Black (which is what a mulatto is). I really didn't find that part of the census that hard to figure and I believe it's the same format from 2000...

One thing I didn't get is if your Latino and mestizo like my girl you would pick White and Native American but then they have write-in-box for Tribe. Lol, most Latino people don't know what the heck tribe. What would they put there? My girl just left that blank...

Today at work someone did make a valid complaint. They were like why should we have to put our name and DOB and I agree. I don't see why that is necessary and that is just going to scare people away from filling it...
Have you ever read a Census record? It includes the names of the people in the house, their ages, race, occupation, etc. That's why they collect the info your co-worker is complaining about. S/he should not care ... the detaled info is not published for 72 years.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
The negro thing has to do with the fact that there are a whole bunch of people who identify with that label around the country. It was controversial to include it but the census bureau has records which indicate a substantial number of people write that in after checking "some other race".

There's a push to include a something like a middle eastern box.
It's a Latino thing. A lot of the confusion is around the way Latinos fill the darn thing. I can imagine a lot of Latin people equate Black with Black American or African American so they write in Negro. I think the last two Census' have really made an attempt to get a clear handle of how many of us Latin folk are here and they have tried to make it easier to fill but obviously it has produced mixed results...

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Have you ever read a Census record? It includes the names of the people in the house, their ages, race, occupation, etc. That's why they collect the info your co-worker is complaining about. S/he should not care ... the detaled info is not published for 72 years.
Yes but my co-worker had a point in that asking for that info would deter certain people (read illegals) from filling it out...

Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,463,853 times
Default More than just black or white

Quote:

I have an older Puerto-Rican co-worker who tells me at one time race used to go on your birth certificate and there were only two choices back then, Black or White.
1) Yes, it used to be on birth certificates but I think that practice lasted longer in the South (e.g, on my dad's - born in VA; not on mom's - born in NYC).

2) Nope, I was reviewing Census records from 1870 - 1930 and at least all of these classifications were there: black, white, colored, mulatto.

Interestingly, from year-to-year, one's classification could change (e.g., my great-grandfather was black in 1880, mulatto in 1900 & 1910, and black in 1920. Check him & his family in the photo (he's the guy on the top left). His wife (my great-grandmother was biracial (black & white). Those are her parents in the center. In 1910 the children were all "mulatto." But later my grandmother was considered "black." Go figure.

Please answer something for me ... Could this be the photo of a Hispanic/Latino family?
Attached Thumbnails
Census Question: Racial Categories-godfrey-reid-photo.jpg  

Last edited by queensgrl; 03-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: extra

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM

952 posts, read 1,265,770 times
Quote:

Please answer something for me ... Could this be the photo of a Hispanic/Latino family?
OH hell yeah it could, my girl's fam is from D.R. and they have more African features than this, but yeah this could pass for any turn of the century Dominican, P.R. or Cuban fam.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
DAS

2,138 posts, read 3,387,589 times
Quote:
As a member of several genealogy societies, I have traced my own ancestry back several hundred years. While all of these questions may seem irrelavent to you now, your posterity will thank you later for completing these forms.

It is nice to see your ancestors on an old census form. You see all the members of the family, some census gave exact dates of birth, on some just years they only listed years of birth.

Some forms allowed the term mulatto, some years it was not allowed, so that is why on some years, ancestors could be listed as mulatto, some years black, some years indian, some years white.

What was also nice in the 1800's and early 1900's, only up to 1930 is available for view on the US census, 1940 will be available in 2012, is that, they would also list occupation, and if you were able to read and write, or how far you went in school. So you can actually see the progress your family made in those areas, over the years.

It is very hard to obtain birth certificates for the past, sometimes there were none, they were not required until after about 1920 in most states. Even after most people may not have correct information on where an ancestor was born, or maybe the family spelling of the last name changed over time. Sometimes there were actual family name changes for various reasons. The census are a good way to start family research.

I hope everyone completes the forms for this reason. It will let your posterity know how you identified yourself. What your name was, and how old you were at that time. If for no other reason, to me this is a good enough reason.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM

658 posts, read 985,069 times
If you're so called Black/Negro/Colored/African/African American/West Indian/Caribbean/Hispanic/Latino/Native American/Indian/East Indian etc. I STRONGLY suggest you put down "Moor" under race.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
DAS

2,138 posts, read 3,387,589 times
Quote:
One thing I didn't get is if your Latino and mestizo like my girl (she's Colombian) you would pick White and Native American but then they have write-in-box for Tribe. Lol, most Latino people don't know what the heck tribe. What would they put there? My girl just left that blank....
For posterity's sake, I would have also checked other, and wrote in South American Indigenous to what is now the country the Republic of Columbia, or something similiar. That way they would know that she is partially an Indigenous person of South America, and what area exactly in South America, because as you know the name of the country has changed over the years.

Some one from DR may write Indigenous to the Carribean Islands of North America, what is now the Dominican Republic. That along with the other racial groups the person identifies with.

I state this because it has been accepted for so many years that the indigenous peoples of North and South America have for the most part disappeared, and this is false. They are still here, just mixed in with other groups like everyone else, and should be accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City