U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,749,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
this is not true. native americans are not limited the the mainland u.s.

if you look at history, many of them traveled to and settled in islands like cuba, hispaniola, pr, etc. and south america long before the spanish raped and pillaged.

i didn't mention pacfic islanders but i trust that hawaiians, etc. know what category to fill out. i didn't mention them because nobody brought them up. ppl here were talking about the caribbean so there was no need to mention pacific islanders.
You are correct in that they traveled around. I attend different conferences and I am very involved in these things, there is a lot of literature, and articles available. I am only stating how a majority would like to be identified.

Where ever people traveled from originally, when they got to where the settled they evolved into another culture. Ancestrially Indigenous people of North and South America are Asian, and would belong in the Mongoloid race of the three major races. Before they traveled all over North and South America and to the islands they traveled to North America from Asia. However culturally we don't identify with a Japanese or Indionesian person.

The term Native American specifically applies to the 49 states which excludes Hawaii. Each country in North America and South America has their own agreements with the different indigenous groups, and how they are identified. If you went to anyone of these other groups outside of the US and called them Native American you would be corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well I have discovered that I am almost all middle eastern, with virtually no black or asian blood at all...however I am Puerto Rican. So does this mean I choose Hispanic then Puerto Rican, and under the race question I choose white? America does not define me as white, and I am not asian, black, or "some other race"..unless you believe middle eastern is a race? See the problem here?

As a result it should read caucasian, with subsets (like the ones for hispanic) of European, Jewish, Arab, north African, Indian (from India) etc. As it stands now my issue is not resolved, so I chose white, and wrote in next to it caucasian.
I am familiar with a group of Arabian Jews that settled in Puerto Rico in the 1900's. Are you a descendent of that group? I think you should write that in also. Caucasian just states like, your ancestry is just European, and it's more interesting than that.

Last edited by DAS; 03-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: added question mark

Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,046,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I don't even care for the stupid census anymore. I usually put caucasian because I am caucasian-Hispanic (of Puerto Rican decent) but I am also part Morrocan so, yeah. I just put Caucasian and Hispanic on the side.
Wow...that's great. Most people don't know that our ancestors in the Moroccan empire prior to 1492 owned the United States of America (google this). It was the last LEGAL name we had before being conquered by Europeans. The so called Native Americans (indigenous Americans ie Taino, Arawak, the 5 civilized tribes (Cherokee, Chikasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole) were Moors and all historical documentation points to that. If you research the journal of Christopher Columbus, when he arrived in America he said he found "Moors" (Moor is used to refer to Black/Native people world wide).

You should put Moor as race...trust me you're one of the few that know it.

Also for the record (to the guy who said it), the ORIGINAL berbers, arabs etc were Black not White (check the history).

Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I am familiar with a group of Arabian Jews that settled in Puerto Rico in the 1900's. Are you a descendent of that group. I think you should write that in also. Caucasian just states like, your ancestry is just European, and it's more interesting than that.
Most so called Puerto Ricans are Taino (so called Native Americans). If you study the history the Taino were an off shoot of the Olmecs who if you check the artifacts and artwork found were certainly Moors (Black) and they would later become apart of the Moorish Empire (which was a global empire).

Unless Sobroguy is a straight up European (White/Caucasian) who just happens to be born in Puerto Rico, then he has Moorish/Black Blood in him and should put down Moor under race. If people knew what alot of these false labels on these forms REALLY meant from a LEGAL standpoint, they wouldn't check Negro/Black/Colored (Latino/Hispanic etc).

Please Black/Latino people...WRITE IN MOOR for RACE and claim your INDIGENOUS birth rights. We're talking from a LEGAL aspect.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,774,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
As a member of several genealogy societies, I have traced my own ancestry back several hundred years. While all of these questions may seem irrelavent to you now, your posterity will thank you later for completing these forms.

It is nice to see your ancestors on an old census form. You see all the members of the family, some census gave exact dates of birth, on some just years they only listed years of birth.

Some forms allowed the term mulatto, some years it was not allowed, so that is why on some years, ancestors could be listed as mulatto, some years black, some years indian, some years white.

What was also nice in the 1800's and early 1900's, only up to 1930 is available for view on the US census, 1940 will be available in 2012, is that, they would also list occupation, and if you were able to read and write, or how far you went in school. So you can actually see the progress your family made in those areas, over the years.

It is very hard to obtain birth certificates for the past, sometimes there were none, they were not required until after about 1920 in most states. Even after most people may not have correct information on where an ancestor was born, or maybe the family spelling of the last name changed over time. Sometimes there were actual family name changes for various reasons. The census are a good way to start family research.

I hope everyone completes the forms for this reason. It will let your posterity know how you identified yourself. What your name was, and how old you were at that time. If for no other reason, to me this is a good enough reason.
All true, I found lots of information about my family that I would have not know otherwise due to the Census. So yes, for posterity's sake, please fill it out. And for the present, it is used to allocate federal funding and to make policy decisions that will help people and communities.

I hope that people will not fear completing the form because otherwise we will be severely undercounted (especially in places like NYC).

Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,544,017 times
Dude MOOR is not a race! Do not listen to justfaar...MOOR is not a race!!! I understand that you have an agenda justfaar..but please don't make the census even more usless than it already is.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,774,452 times
Default Is African-American a cultural/ethnic identity or a race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
hispanics should not be allowed to choose a racial category , and if so then they(90 percent of them) should choose mix 1 or 2 races why? well when you have a lightskin puerto rican with nappier hair then a african american choosing white as their race that right their mixes everything up
Given that logic, then shouldn't the "African-American" person also choose more than one category? Isn't "African-American" equivalent to "Hispanic" or "Latino" in that it describes a cultural/ethnic identity -- not a race?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Dude MOOR is not a race! Do not listen to justfaar...MOOR is not a race!!! I understand that you have an agenda justfaar..but please don't make the census even more usless than it already is.
Moor is not a race? Well it's funny that our founding fathers (ie: George Washington elude to this truth).

And you right, nobody should listen to me OR YOU. They should research it for themselves.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM

For those that don't believe that Moor(s) are a race, In 1993, International Year of the Indigenous People the United Nations Center for Human Rights recognized Wa****aw de Dugdahmoundyah Muur Empire as the Oldest Indigenous People on Earth and assigned registered project # 215/93.

Don't believe me...just check it for yourselves so called Black/Latinos/Hispanics/Native Americans/Indians/West Indians...

Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Most so called Puerto Ricans are Taino (so called Native Americans). If you study the history the Taino were an off shoot of the Olmecs who if you check the artifacts and artwork found were certainly Moors (Black) and they would later become apart of the Moorish Empire (which was a global empire).

Unless Sobroguy is a straight up European (White/Caucasian) who just happens to be born in Puerto Rico, then he has Moorish/Black Blood in him and should put down Moor under race. If people knew what alot of these false labels on these forms REALLY meant from a LEGAL standpoint, they wouldn't check Negro/Black/Colored (Latino/Hispanic etc).

Please Black/Latino people...WRITE IN MOOR for RACE and claim your INDIGENOUS birth rights. We're talking from a LEGAL aspect.
Some jews actually came with Columbus and were later forced into Catholicism. However there was another group that arrived from Ethiopia or the surrounding area in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Black is an issue for Latins because during slavery if the child of a Black and White person appeared White the child could be freed, even if the mother was still a slave. This was Spanish law.

In the US it would not matter, no matter how White the baby of a slave was, it was still Black, or Mulatto, or Colored, and it was still a slave. The child was never claimed by the White side of their family, even if it received certain privaledges and was later freed. It was never admitted. It is very hard to find any record of ancestrial ties to a White family if you are Black in the US, if the combination occurred during slavery, and recently after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City