U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM

93 posts, read 315,524 times

Advertisements

Assuming you don't own a car while living in manhattan, do you still need to keep any kind of auto insurance for if/when you use a rental car or friend/family car? I expect to sell my car when I move and I'm not sure if I need to keep any sort of policy or if I'd be covered by insurance for the person whose car I am using. I will be picking up a new motorcycle and keeping it outside the city, but my bike policy has always been separate from my car policy, so I don't think that would cover me in any way when using a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,098,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKooT1027 View Post
Assuming you don't own a car while living in manhattan, do you still need to keep any kind of auto insurance for if/when you use a rental car or friend/family car? I expect to sell my car when I move and I'm not sure if I need to keep any sort of policy or if I'd be covered by insurance for the person whose car I am using. I will be picking up a new motorcycle and keeping it outside the city, but my bike policy has always been separate from my car policy, so I don't think that would cover me in any way when using a car.
No, you don't need to own insurance if you do not own a car. Technically, I don't think you'll be able to even if you want to since insurance companies will need to know the make/model/VIN of your car to give you a quote.

If your renting a car, your credit card will generally insure you for any damages. In case it doesn't, you can always purchase the insurance from the rental company for a few dollars (although generally most cc will cover you). If your borrowing a car, ideally, the policy holder should add you to their policy as a driver so you will be insured, but majority of people don't.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

10,734 posts, read 25,050,254 times
You can buy non-owner auto insurance that covers liabilty/medical/uninsured motorist coverage, just drops provisions that cover one specific vehicle. This comes in handy if you rent a car and don't want to purchase the insurance coverage, or if you borrow a car from a friend or family member.

If you use a service like ZipCar, however, you do not need to purchase the coverage as you are covered by their insurance if they accept you as a member. And, you can buy down your liability amount with an added cost per year with the car sharing service.

I would investigate coverage, since many credit cards only provide comprehensive and basic liability coverage. This would not provide coverage on a borrowed car, however, but your own policy would.

Non-owner policies are pretty inexpensive, compared to regular car insurance, since you are an infrequent driver, and there is lower risk since the company is not covering a vehicle on a daily basis. You might even get a discount if you purchased a policy from your bike insurer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. My CC's all provide auto coverage, but I was thinking more along the lines of when I go to LI to visit the family. I'll have the bike for nice weather, but certain situations (and seasons) are not as practical. I heard about the non-owner policy and wasn't sure if that was common or just another way for insurance companies to make money off of you.

The comment on doing it through the bike insurer is one I'll def look into. I've been on my parents policy since I'm still 24, so going solo would have cost a ton more for less coverage (bike is solo).

What about when I end up purchasing a car again, will having/not having the non-owner play a role? I know when you fill out an application it asks if you are currently insured, and basically selecting 'no' is not good.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 PM

10,734 posts, read 25,050,254 times
I think that it would show that you have maintained continuous coverage, since you would be insured during the time when you are without a car on a daily basis in Manahttan. It might also make it easier when you go to get a new car because you're already insured, and if you like the company, you could potentially get a better rate from them.

ETA: I don't believe that a non-owner policy would be terribly expensive, but as with all insurance, it depends upon driving record, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 PM

747 posts, read 2,172,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKooT1027 View Post
Thanks for the replies. My CC's all provide auto coverage, but I was thinking more along the lines of when I go to LI to visit the family. I'll have the bike for nice weather, but certain situations (and seasons) are not as practical. I heard about the non-owner policy and wasn't sure if that was common or just another way for insurance companies to make money off of you.
You should double check the CC coverage - a lot of them cover CDW/LDW, but not liability. You can also compare the annual cost of non-owner liability coverage vs. the number of days you rent at an average, say, 14/day liability coverage cost.

Zipcar is a good suggestion. Insurance is included under their annual fee and rates.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
You should double check the CC coverage - a lot of them cover CDW/LDW, but not liability. You can also compare the annual cost of non-owner liability coverage vs. the number of days you rent at an average, say, 14/day liability coverage cost.

Zipcar is a good suggestion. Insurance is included under their annual fee and rates.
Thanks I'll look into the CC details. I plan to use zipcar when I get into manhattan and need a car. My bigger worry is when I go to visit the family and have to borrow on of their cars. It's not something I plan to happen all that often, but a few times a year (prob 7-14 days), moreso around holidays. I just don't want to assume I'm covered to use it and conveniently have that be the time I get pulled over and find out I'm actually uninsured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City