Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,016 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have recently received an offer in NYC with a salary of $155,000 per year. However, I am also a single mom of a 2nd grader. I was wondering, given all competing priorities (job/school/afterschool), if I could afford to rent a 1BR (perhaps 2BR) close to work (UES) in a good PS district (roughly UES[60th-90th st], UWS [60th to 80th] from the research I have done so far). Else, I was considering moving somewhere in Brooklyn or NJ but the commute seems too long, especially with a child in school.
I am planning to sell my car and use public transportation.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Most Manhattan places require you to make 40x the monthly rent, so that would mean you'd qualify for $3875. You can DEFINITELY find a good 2 bedroom on the UES/UWS- it may be smaller than you are used to for that price, but it will be pretty good by NYC standards. There are some good elementary schools in that area, although I couldn't tell you which ones off the top of my head. A friend of mine student taught at one in the low 70s that she thought was very well run, but it's name escapes me. It gets tougher by middle school and high school, but you make enough to send 1 kid to private school (which will be expensive).

I personally love the UWS- I find it a little less stuffy than the UES, but both are good neighborhoods and close to the park.

Where is your office located? We might be able to offer more neighborhood suggestions.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Just living in the district for one of the good public elementary schools does not, unfortunately, guarantee a place in the school any more. There are many who moved specifically to the P.S. 6 district (P.S. 6 is a highly sought-after school) only to find there was no room at the school for their child. It's not as simple as it once was. Private school is $30,000/year, not including books, supplies, uniforms, lunch, etc. And it's kind of late to be looking for a place for this coming September.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 19,437 times
As a former teacher in the NYC public schools, I really do think that the majority of elementary schools are great and I would send my (future) child there. There are a lot of people working very hard and a lot of fabulous initiatives going. There are a lot of great middle schools too. High school gets tougher. There are SOME good high schools but not many - there's a handful of really great ones but they are very, very hard to get in. I don't know what your child is like intellectually and how he tests, you may want to think about whether that is really a possibility down the line. If that doesn't pan out, you could always move out to NJ for high school or look into a parochial school that would be cheaper than the 30k privates. Plus - who knows where you'll be at in seven years.. your circumstances might be totally different. Also on the UES I think you should expand your search up to 96th street. I lived in a building that was huge, had a doorman, and felt very safe to me. A lot of recent grads, but a lot of families too and there's an elementary school across the street. Mod cut Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts, per tos.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I had read the story about PS 6, so that is why I was looking at several other well rated public schools. In fact, my (future) office is located at E 67th and 1st Ave, right next to PS 183.
I also realize that, at least for this year, it is too late to look into private schools. I assume that the $30,000 do not include after school programs which, from what I read could run higher around 500 or more per month. Phylosophically, I am totally OK with public schools for elementary, and I read a lot of good things about some of them. I am in the process of making a list of zones, and I wonder if agents/ brokers would have that info when looking for apartments (at least I have not seen a lot of focus in the ads on line).
Thanks again!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
Yes, you can work with a real estate agent and ask specifically to live in a certain school zone and they will work with you. Some agents specialize in this, but I don't know of one off hand. If you look online at all of the major real estate brokerages, many of the rental listings will mention which school the apartment is zoned for. This is a hint that the broker knows a lot about the school zones and could possibly help you to find one.

There are also charter schools in the public school system. But I do have to say that the NY Board of Ed is fielding a lot of issues regarding space for children in their school buildings. So many people have moved to NYC and so much real estate has been built in neighborhoods in recent years that many of the schools are now overcrowded and there has not been much of an effort to build new school buildings to match this. Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 PM

37 posts, read 167,150 times
I don't know a lot about the East Side, but PS87 has an excellent reputation and it's zone includes most of the West 70s. There is a frequently running crosstown bus on 72nd street which would drop you off close to your office. Parts of the East Side are cheaper than the UWS these days, but with your salary, I think you could find something suitable in either neighborhood.

I wouldn't worry about private schools just yet. NYC's school system offers a lot of specialized programs for middle and high school and even with overcrowded classrooms, your child can get an excellent education for free. Some of the programs are tough to get into however, and by high school, I'd move before letting my child go to a zone school.

Brooklyn might be something to consider once your child gets older, but for now, I think it would be better to live near your job. Two hours a day on a train can really add up when you have a job and all the responsibilities of two parents.

As Viralmod pointed out, it's kind of late to register your child for school in September. When were you hoping to move? If school zones are your #1 priority, it might be useful to ask the nearby P.S. if there are any spots available before signing a lease.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Thanks again for the input. I thought I might share a bit of useful info here. I have actually called some of the schools I was interested in, and it appears that the biggest problem is with Kindergarten registration. Upper grades (my daughter will be in 3rd grade) have not started registering yet (it will begin mid April), and, as far as I am told, there is no major forseable problem getting in.
Thx

Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 PM

30 posts, read 107,417 times
Yes it appears the biggest problem is with kindergarten. I just got a letter from ps 183 stating that my daughter is on a waitlist for kindergarten for september (and we are in the zone) and that if and when a place becomes available she will be called.
Well it doesnt look good at all, maybe a few people might drop out or move away but I don't have any faith and am quite worried at where she will end up. They conclude the letter by saying " be assured your daughter will have a place this september whether is is at this school or at another" Why that makes me feel so much better that she will get a place in some failing school in an undesirable place in the city! I mean after all, the best public schools aren't going to have spaces are they!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City