U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 83,612 times

Advertisements

Not to troll, but I wish to ask rational people in the city the logic to this stupid, snobby and obnoxious mentality so many adopt.

Firstly, the premise that you're from a place and using this as argument that you're better than others is just plain arrogant.

Secondly, people saying NYC is not like *anywhere* else - seriously? Have you travelled the *whole* earth to be able to warrant yourself this statement? Again, stinks of stupidity and arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a fine city, in my opinion a good city but not the best. But in other like Paris, Rome, Sydney, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Mumbai, and lots more cities...most places are becoming like NYC now - 24/7, multicultural, etc. Yet in none of those other places you will see people making arrogant statements saying 'we're better than you'. I just want to know what's with the chip on the shoulder and portraying the bullying NY stereotype. Do they enjoy being bullies? Just because you're from XYZ place, doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.

Would these same NYers say they're 'better' than members of the military who aren't from NYC but are fighting and dying in Afghanistan?

Again, what explains the logic behind this obnoxious attitude that has become almost commonplace? City pride? Because people in other cities have city pride too, but are nowhere near as obnoxious about it. Why are so many (not all) NYers cocky and full of themselves?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,503,636 times
Omg you can ask that same question to residents of other cities aswell. Every major city has a some type of superiority complex. In some cases it may be imposed on sorrunding counties or the state that city is in. For example, Atlantans have an certain arrogance to the rest of georgia. LA might feel some type of way about north california. Philledelphians might not know that theres a such thing as a pennslyvania. U catch my drift

New yorkers are not the only ones. As it turns out New york happens to be the most official city in the entirety of the united states-the united states happens to be the most official superpower on planet earth, thus the spotlight is put on and our arrogance- highlighted. But its like that everywhere

Old 03-27-2010, 03:27 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,471,864 times
Calm down, its not jus new yorkers. As a matter of fact,its not even the majority of new yorkers that act that way.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

216 posts, read 671,445 times
Too bad for you you're not from New York and you'll never be as good as any of us that are ...

Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM

907 posts, read 2,125,892 times
I'll compare the "I'm From New York, and that will ALWAYS make me better than you" complex to the "my professional sports team is better than yours."

If you don't like the attitude you should cure their complex by putting them in their place.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:52 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Not to troll, but I wish to ask rational people in the city the logic to this stupid, snobby and obnoxious mentality so many adopt.

Firstly, the premise that you're from a place and using this as argument that you're better than others is just plain arrogant.

Secondly, people saying NYC is not like *anywhere* else - seriously? Have you travelled the *whole* earth to be able to warrant yourself this statement? Again, stinks of stupidity and arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is a fine city, in my opinion a good city but not the best. But in other like Paris, Rome, Sydney, London, Dubai, Hong Kong and Mumbai, and lots more cities...most places are becoming like NYC now - 24/7, multicultural, etc. Yet in none of those other places you will see people making arrogant statements saying 'we're better than you'. I just want to know what's with the chip on the shoulder and portraying the bullying NY stereotype. Do they enjoy being bullies? Just because you're from XYZ place, doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.

Would these same NYers say they're 'better' than members of the military who aren't from NYC but are fighting and dying in Afghanistan?

Again, what explains the logic behind this obnoxious attitude that has become almost commonplace? City pride? Because people in other cities have city pride too, but are nowhere near as obnoxious about it. Why are so many (not all) NYers cocky and full of themselves?
Ya ever been to Texas ?
Like Texans, we are proud of our home I suppose ... and NYC is twice as large as any other American city for a reason. It's impossible to live here but most New Yorkers will tell you it's the only place to live.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM

6,624 posts, read 11,570,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
Not to troll, but..........................
Really?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM

230 posts, read 709,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Really?
Ha! Well said!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM

966 posts, read 1,406,558 times
Hey OP, here in Madison too, alas, there is this arrogant, "we are better than everyone everywhere else" attitude, even as the city is taking quite a beating economically. Not everyone feels this way in NYC, or in Madison for that matter. I think a lot has to do with where they came from or whether they've traveled broadly or not. Meaning that if they came from a city or town that was horrible for them then NYC must seem like heaven; and if they've never been to places like London, Manchester, Brisbane, Sydney, etc. (just to name some of the wonderful cities I have visited) then how could they know how life is in other major cities? I'm on my way back to NYC. After my experience here in Madison, I will cut those folks who think NYC is it some slack. Just nod and smile to myself while I save my pennies for a trip to Montreal. lol. Don't get me wrong. I love NYC, and as it turns out I am more of a New Yorker than I once imagined. But anyone who thinks that any one city could be it for everyone is simply delusional, imo.

Last edited by Nala8; 03-27-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,547,457 times
Us Texans have an even snobbier mentality... yet we have little to be proud about!!

I can say this because I'm a Texan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City