Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 30,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica1729 View Post
I'm a 44 year old, divorced woman with a Bachelor's in Health Management (Case Manager, Medical Recruiter) who presently lives in Denver, CO. My kids are both grown and off living their own lives (school in different states). I find myself longing to move to New York and have done a little research to find good areas. I'm kinda of scared because I read pros and cons for each area and frankly, I'm at a loss. I would be looking for job when I arrive. I have about 10,000 in savings (planning on having more by the time I move - looking to move in the summer months).

Any ideas about good areas where I have a good chance of finding a decent job and a one bedroom that is no more than 800-900 a month? I saw some apartments in Sunset Park and Astoria and other places, but I'm just not sure.

Any words of wisdom? Advice? Information?
No
Save more, and try to get a good job before you move. Salaries are higher here for every job so you will make more. (But the economy right now...may be hard to find one)
If you want to live nicely and decently in NYC, you must have money. You also shouldn't move into the "less nicer" areas...because...why would you want to?
Get more money and try to increase your budget in hopes of getting a nicer place.

I'm not sure what to recommend youwith those budgets.

You can certainly find something with that budget but idk if it will be any good, or in a nice area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Did you even read her post? Shes asking about 1 bedroom apts and not a studio. Thus why I said 13 to 1400.
How well do I know the Bronx? Enough to know that its the poorest Boro where a third of the folks live below the poverty line. Thats all one needs to know.
Yes, I read it. Your sentences are poorly constructed, so I didn't understand from your post that you meant she should raise her budget and THEN look in Queens.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, I read it. Your sentences are poorly constructed, so I didn't understand from your post that you meant she should raise her budget and THEN look in Queens.
What is so poorly constructed about the sentences? You only have to be able to read English. In regards to prices, a friend of mine actually rents a 2 bedroom in Astoria for 1400 a month. The rooms are tiny like most of NYC but it is a 2 bedroom nevertheless. I'll stand by my original post that a 44 year old white female who is not a New York native should not even look in the Bronx. Unlike some, i actually like to tell the truth.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The other problem in moving to NYC without a position is renting an apartment because the landlord will want employment verification, or rent paid in advance. Many management companies will not approve an application without either verifiable employment, or significant liquid assets (some on the order of 4-5 years of rent), though this is dependent upon the company and type of apartment. Some individual landlords will rent to people who are not currently employed, on a case by case basis, but may require a shorter lease contract that's prepaid. The reason for this is because it's difficult in NYC to remove a tenant from an apartment for non-payment of rent, which can drag on for months; hence, the landlord does due dilligence up front to ensure that they will be paid for the lease duration.

Given that issue, you might be best served in getting a short-term sublet and exploring the city a bit. Can you take a leave of absence or vacation from your current position to test the waters with regard to securing a new job in New York? Do you have industry contacts through whom you could explore the possibility of securing a position with another company in your field in the city? Or, is there a possibility that you could continue to work for the company in Colorado and telecommute for a while?

Will you want to keep a car in New York? It can be expensive to do so in the city, depending upon the parking situation. However, there are places in Westchester, Rockland, Long Island, and New Jersey that are close to the city and where it's easier to keep a car.

For a suburban area that's nice, safe, and reasonable, you could look at Rockland County. The problem with Rockland is that it can be a chore to get to Manhattan during rush hour, since you either have to cross the river to take the train, or take two trains on the New Jersey side. You could also take the bus from Nyack, for example, but the commute would be a bit long, and would put you at the Port Authority terminal. The nice thing about living outside the city limits is that you do not have to pay the resident income tax.

If you're flexible for a first apartment, and would consider an alcove studio or a Junior 1 bedroom apartment (alcove with a window), more would open up in your preferred price range. Some rentals, however, may be in co-operative buildings, and even the friendlier co-ops want financial qualification, with a set minimum income requirement. And, some co-ops require a full interview of any potential renter, much like they were purchasing a share in the building. There are buildings in Riverdale where they have an income qualification only, for example, and no personal interview. Around $900, you could find a smaller studio in that area, though there might not be a large selection for that price.

Astoria is mostly a good neighborhood, but Sunset Park is an area that might be best for somene more experienced with the dense urban environment that is Brooklyn. Sunnyside is a good area, too, but, like Riverdale, you'd have a tough time finding an apartment at that low a price, and it would most certainly be a studio.

Similarly, you could find an owner-rented apartment in Woodlawn for your preferred range, but again it likely would be a studio. There are not many rentals advertised in conventional publications for Woodlawn, much less than the market will have, because it's an insular, largely Irish, neighborhood where referrals through word of mouth, and advertising in local papers are the norm. There are some listings with brokers, or by owners on Craigslist, but not all.

Staten Island can have lower prices, but it's a hassle getting on and off the island, either via ferry, bus to the subway in Brooklyn, or express bus to Manhattan. Rentals there would most likely be in an accessory apartment or multi-family dwelling, though there are some apartment buildings, too. You would need a car on Staten Island, however, and like all of New York, there's good and bad.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-29-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It sounds like Henna's suggestion about The Bronx was because she knows that The Bronx is the only part of the city where this person has any chance of finding anything near her price range.It was not a dangerous or shameful suggestion because it is in fact possible to find a decent "real" 1 br for 900 or 950/mo in places like Morris Park,Pelham Bay and Throg's Neck.$800/mo might be very difficult in these areas but 900 or 950 definitely is not.
Theses are not dangerous area at all so Henna is not the one who needs to be educated about The Bronx.
It is against the rules to post links to real estate sites but just a few weeks ago I sent a few links( BY DM) to a poster about a 1 br apt in a coop building in Morris Park for 900.00.A very nice building on a nice block in a nice neighborhood about 4 blocks from the subway.
People need to do their research.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 31,483 times
Default Thanks everybody! Keep em coming!

Thanks JColtrane and everyone else who posted and is sincere about providing helpful information. Yes, I am 44 and yes, I don't have NYC smarts....but I'm a city girl. (Born and raised in Dallas) I work for the courts here in Denver and have a license to carry a weapon! But I do know that life in New York is much more fast paced and there are secrets and tidbits that ONLY native New Yorkers OR people who presently live in NY know about.

The job thing won't be a problem....I have some things cooking as we speak. The living situation will be the challenge. I have visited NY before and loved it....I do want to go back and visit again and check out areas. (I'd probably need a guide though - otherwise, how will I know what's what?) lol

Keep the posts coming, I'm writing it all down, compiling everything and hopefully making some acquaintances along the way. I want to be smart about my move and I'm confident that I'll get there. It's just nice to have people help you with comments and information so that you're not so freaked out when you get there!

Anybody know anything about the "all women hostels" in downtown Manhattan? Yay or nay? Short term (like maybe a couple of days until I get an apt?) Thoughts?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks JColtrane and everyone else who posted and is sincere about providing helpful information.
It's odd that you singled out and thanked the one person who did nothing for this thread except for attack my post about the Bronx (which was sincere and could have been helpful to you) as being "shameful."

I wanted to point out that the areas I directed you to in the Bronx have both been profiled recently in the NY Times Real Estate section. I guess it's your choice if you'd prefer to ignore posts that might be helpful in favor of posts that attack. Best.

Habitats | Bedford Park, the Bronx
Through the Flamingo Doors

Living In | Bedford Park, the Bronx -A Friendly Bustle, With Oases Nearby

Even in a city known for its ethnic diversity and evolving neighborhood microclimates, Pelham Parkway stands out

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM

18 posts, read 31,483 times
Default Whoa!

Henna,

I said thanks to everyone else as well......I regret that you were offended by this individual but the information provided by EVERYONE is helpful (whether or not there is a tiff about spelling or accusations of this or that) It was not my intention to single anyone out.....I said thanks to everyone. It is unfortunate that you feel the way you feel and that you missed that very important element of my post. That unfortunate exchange was between you and another individual; it has nothing to do with the information I am compiling or how useful I find the information. What's wrong with a good debate anyway? Take it easy

You stated "I guess it's your choice if you'd prefer to ignore posts that might be helpful"
Who said I was ignoring your post? Do not assume that because one person disagrees with you that it is the general concensus or that I am dismissing what you have contributed. That isn't fair. Be careful about wording things that way.

Thank YOU for posting, thank you for the information and really, thank you for the links you provided. And trust me, I will do the necessary work to research all areas that I'm interested in; I will factor in all of the comments made on this thread and proceed with making an informed decision.

Best of luck to you and honestly, thanks for the suggestions. Everyone has their own opinion and it is unfortunate that these unpleasant exchanges have to be made on these threads. Everyone's opinion is valuable to me. Everyone's experience in NY is different and everyone's opinion will be of some use to me. I'd be a fool not to consider everyone; heck....that's why I posted on a thread!

So again, I thank you for taking the time out to address my question.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I'm not going even going to try to recommend a neighborhood, but If you want to stick to a budget like that you might be better off looking into a share or sublease. Unless you can show proof of employment and adequate salary (40x rule) right when you land, gettting your own place right away might be a bit unrealistic. I know there are exceptions, such as people who are rich (or foolish) enough to pay a full year's worth of rent up front, but in general, no job = no apartment (of your own)

Also, pistol carry permits in NYC are almost impossible to get for regular citizens who aren't law enforcement officers.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Henna,

Take it easy

Thanks. You too. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City