Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75 View Post
Hi,

I am considering to buy an apartment right here.
I have been there few times and saw nothing special.

But today as I was talking with an accountant she told me that there was a methadone center right there and that people hang out here late at night - and I have to say that she looked pretty convincing while not being the type of woman easily impressed (I mean, she looked kind of really really tough).

I am not particularly afraid, but my wife and I are suddenly reconsidering the whole project. I know that crime is very low in Manhattan and this place is certainly not dangerous, still would this specific area be considered as one of the worst if we had to rank the neighborhoods? Is there anyone living here that could share a little bit?

Thanks for any insight
Is the area safe? Absolutely
Would I consider renting an apartment there ? Absolutely,at the right price.
Would I consider buying an apartment there? Absolutely NOT unless it was at a steep,steep discount and even then I'd have to really think about it.
It's not crime I would be concerned with.It would be quality of life and resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 28,761 times
bmwguydc: yes I saw that thread the other night, and I have hesitated to reply on this one or create a new one. apologies.

bluedog2: thanks for the advise!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM

363 posts, read 817,584 times
Phil75, the 13th pct has the Gramercy area locked down and it's pretty much safe. Of course there is crime everywhere but compared to other areas in the city, I wouldn't worry.

If your still concerened about the area though, you may want to try the Williamsburg or Greenpoint areas in Brooklyn. Areas by the L train from Bedford Avenue to Graham Ave may be something you should look at. Friday nights on Bedford Ave and N. 7th Street is packed with people. You and your wife should feel pretty safe over there as well.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75 View Post
Ok again, thanks for the replies.

One last question to all of you guys: if you had to rank the Manhattan neighbourhoods in terms of perceived sense of safety, which one would be the worst?
Let's just put aside Harlem here for a second, just to avoid discussion like 'which is more dangerous, east Harlem or central Harlem'.

I have been living in New York for 3 years now and have been more or less in every part of the city at least once, I am just curious to see if I agree with your thoughts...

Thanks!!
This link may help:

Manhattan, New York Real Estate - Homes for Sale and Rent - New York Times

Click on the neighborhood data and narrow it down by the zip code.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 4,976 times
We have lived at 23rd and 2nd since 1970. When the building first opened the meth clinic was already there. The regulars at the clinic are no problem and the neighborhood is very safe. There is a police precinct nearby as well as the police academy.
All urban neighborhoods have many sorts of people passing through and this one is very urban, but it also has 24 hour stores, the Orion Diner on the corner and constant traffic, foot, bicycle and car. There are doormen at many buildings and the area is getting richer by the hour.
Safe?
Yes.
Noisy? That is a problem. (Horns and Sirens. We are on a main route.)

Old 10-11-2015, 09:25 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
lol
The correct question to ask is anything unsafe besides (maybe) East Harlem?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
I am also a local resident, and I agree with Bob Croghan's assessment, above. I've lived here since 1985. The neighborhood has come up a lot since then, and I think a coop would be a good investment. In fact, you stand to make money as the area gentrifies, you don't have to live through a really bad time in order to do that.

The worst I can say about it is that the area is basically bland, without much of architectural interest or charm, although there's a beautiful (and expensive) Art Deco co-op on East 22nd off Second.

My friend and I frequently complain about the litter on 23rd Street, how it's much dirtier than, say, streets farther uptown, but maybe it's getter better in recent years. We here in Community Board 4 feel we have too many methadone clinics and services already, so whenever a new facility is planned, we try to NIMBY it. (If you google "methadone clinics in community board 4 Manhattan" you'll get a map.) The main clinic I'm thinking of, which is on the west side of Second Avenue between 25th and 24th streets, seems to be open only during the day, and I have never seen people congregate at night. There's also a Department of Sanitation garage and storage facility planned for the old Brookdale campus, which is on East 25th between First and the FDR Drive, that the neighborhood is fighting tooth and nail.

On the plus side, there is a brand new building on 23rd and Second, and I believe it is a coop. Also, on East 23rd between First and Second on the south side of the street are several new residential buildings, one of them being The Gramercy, as previously mentioned by another poster.

Yes, the police precinct is nearby, but I think the police academy is in the process of moving. The former campus of St. Vincent's Hospital is being turned into housing, and I doubt any of that will be low end.

The stretch of Second Avenue from about 30th Street to 23rd Street is not known for its charm, but I wouldn't think it's necessarily dangerous. I believe NYCHA has a building along that route, and there is another building on the east side of Second between 26th and 25th that I believe is low income, but it has been upgraded recently and is looking much better. Dan Garodnick is our local councilperson, and he is very responsive and has a good community-outreach person to handle local issues.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, but I hope I've left the impression that buying a co-op would be a good idea. I wish I had done that years ago! Like many areas of the city, there are good and bad aspects, but you could certainly do worse! Best of luck with your decision, and keep us posted.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-11-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 10:43 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I wouldn't do it. The area is boring. The m23 crosstown bus, is trash. i feel you can get more bang for your buck somewhere else.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
Sure it's safe. It's a nice place to live.

There's a Morton Williams market at 23rd/2nd that's excellent.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
OP wrote this 5 years ago. i think its safe to say he either is already living there or said no and went to BK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: