U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
 
11,288 posts, read 21,744,561 times
Reputation: 8900

Advertisements

This is a guess, but I am thinking that the people with the most motive to walk between the cars of the train are those who are already breaking the law by begging (or playing music with a hat out etc) within the train. If it takes them, say 1 minute to tell their story and pass their hat, and the train takes 3 minutes to get to the next station, they are losing two minutes of potential moneymaking time if they don't travel between cars.

The people who are asking for money often do not seem to be in the best shape, either because of illness, hunger, homelessness, etc., so if there is a higher percentage of them travelling between cars (vs. people who are not riding and asking for money at the same time), it could stand to reason that they might also be more likely to lose their footing than the average rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
243 posts, read 1,209,602 times
Reputation: 536
There are two reasons not to walk between the cars ... the first is that many people do slip and fall and get killed , it happens often and is not a once in a blue moon kind of thing ... the second is that (it was big in the 70's and 80's especially) criminals used to hang out in between the cars when a train was leaving a station and they would reach out and snatch purses of people waiting on the platform , so the rule was also put into effect as a way to deter crime. In the winter months especially , sometimes the metal walkways between the cars can ice over and become very slippery. When I was a rookie T/O we had a woman get killed (not on my train) walking between the cars of a train leaving Stillwell Ave who slipped while walking between cars on an icy walkway on a train going less than 10 mph. Cut her body completely in half. Train wasn't even moving fast. Best bet is to not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,653,266 times
Reputation: 1423
i used to do it but haven't done it in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,867 posts, read 4,150,910 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
There are two reasons not to walk between the cars ... the first is that many people do slip and fall and get killed , it happens often and is not a once in a blue moon kind of thing ... the second is that (it was big in the 70's and 80's especially) criminals used to hang out in between the cars when a train was leaving a station and they would reach out and snatch purses of people waiting on the platform , so the rule was also put into effect as a way to deter crime. In the winter months especially , sometimes the metal walkways between the cars can ice over and become very slippery. When I was a rookie T/O we had a woman get killed (not on my train) walking between the cars of a train leaving Stillwell Ave who slipped while walking between cars on an icy walkway on a train going less than 10 mph. Cut her body completely in half. Train wasn't even moving fast. Best bet is to not do it.
Yea, I remember back in the 70's and 80's on all the older cars the end doors would stay latched open, in summer. Sometimes in off hours you could see straight through the train from the first to the last car. People then thought nothing about car jumping looking for a seat. Not a good practice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: New York
477 posts, read 1,243,154 times
Reputation: 297
I'm too chicken to walk between the cars when the train is moving, but I have been on the train and the doors between the trains must not be latched right and they open by themselves while the train is moving! That is why I never lean on the doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: In the Hood, Brooklyn, NY
362 posts, read 720,033 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
When I was a rookie T/O we had a woman get killed (not on my train) walking between the cars of a train leaving Stillwell Ave who slipped while walking between cars on an icy walkway on a train going less than 10 mph. Cut her body completely in half. Train wasn't even moving fast. Best bet is to not do it.
I think I remember that one. I thought that was the one where the train was rounding the bend and two high school students where riding between the cars and she fell. Cut her in half.

If memory serves me correct, it's also a $100 summons if your caught riding or walking between cars while the train is in motion. Is this fine any type of deterrent to stop this? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
243 posts, read 1,209,602 times
Reputation: 536
The fine definitely is a deterrent , though not 100%. The police actively enforce the fine , they don't look the other way on it. You probably have a better chance of talking your way out of a turnstile jumping summons then you do of getting a break on walking between the cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
 
31 posts, read 84,417 times
Reputation: 37
Wow! When I think of what an idiot kid I was and how many times I could have been dead. I am in my 40's now but when I was 12 me and my friends would sneak off to the City and ALWAYS ride between the cars. Smoking and singing no less!!! It is scary to think how stupid and invinsible kids think they are. I do remember once though loosing my footing for a second and if I had not been holding that handrail I am sure I would have fallen. Knowing what I did as a kid made me watch MY kid like a hawk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
Reputation: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I'm too chicken to walk between the cars when the train is moving, but I have been on the train and the doors between the trains must not be latched right and they open by themselves while the train is moving! That is why I never lean on the doors.
There's a reason for those stickers (you know--the ones nobody pays any attention to) that say "Do Not Lean on Doors." And I'll tell you what that reason is: the doors were designed to do one thing, and one thing only. That is, move back and forth on their track as they open or close.

If you lean on the doors, you're putting pressure on them from a 90-degree angle--pressure they weren't designed to take. So yes, there is a real possibility that the doors could give way. If that happens when the train is moving, well, let's just say it's a good idea if your will is prepared and notarized.

I am, of course, referring to the doors on the sides of the cars. Everything I've said previously about the doors at the ends of the cars holds true. You're not supposed to be walking between the cars, so don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
 
11,979 posts, read 17,491,614 times
Reputation: 6077
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Yea, I remember back in the 70's and 80's on all the older cars the end doors would stay latched open, in summer. Sometimes in off hours you could see straight through the train from the first to the last car. People then thought nothing about car jumping looking for a seat. Not a good practice!
Yea I remember that as well. I also remember a few occassions of guys smoking pot between the cars.

Of course I would never engage in such a reckless activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top