U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times

Advertisements

Nobody here in transit has a good explanation for this, but to date there have been nearly 40 incidents involving people, trains, and serious injury or death. And we've only just entered the month of April. This is not shaping up to be a good year. (It's too bad none of the big pharmaceutical concerns are working on a common sense pill...because that's what we really need!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM

477 posts, read 1,243,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There's a reason for those stickers (you know--the ones nobody pays any attention to) that say "Do Not Lean on Doors." And I'll tell you what that reason is: the doors were designed to do one thing, and one thing only. That is, move back and forth on their track as they open or close.

If you lean on the doors, you're putting pressure on them from a 90-degree angle--pressure they weren't designed to take. So yes, there is a real possibility that the doors could give way. If that happens when the train is moving, well, let's just say it's a good idea if your will is prepared and notarized.

I am, of course, referring to the doors on the sides of the cars. Everything I've said previously about the doors at the ends of the cars holds true. You're not supposed to be walking between the cars, so don't.
I trip over my own feet if I step wrong, there is no way in hell I'm chancing falling off the train. If I need to get out of the car, I wait till the next stop.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,681 times
I Do It All The Time, Nobody caught me. Theres Gates So We Wont fall out Unless your drunk and then you fall and you get sliced :O

Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 4,022,903 times
i don't understand why one can't wait until the next stop to casually move onto another subway car. it doesn't make sense to risk your life, and get a fine for something so incredibly stupid.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,632,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEISCOOL123345 View Post
I Do It All The Time, Nobody caught me. Theres Gates So We Wont fall out Unless your drunk and then you fall and you get sliced :O
I think the only cars with the gates are the R32s, which are being retired. For everything else, you're on your own.

Personally, I'm scared sh*tless of walking between cars. First of all, I'm scared of the fact that I'll be run over by a series of cars weighing 40 tons each (and the noise that you here when the door slides open only reconfirms that fear), and the second deterrant is the $100 fine. If the train doesn't kill me, my parents would.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 PM

292 posts, read 615,509 times
The older cars, the R-46's and 68's, like what you see on the R trains, the cars with the orange and brown interiors, are about 15 feet longer than the newer trains. (Picture a bracelet made of four long links as opposed to a bracelet made of smaller, and more links, and imagine which one is going to be more flexible.)

Which means that when said train is moving around a curve, at say, 25, 35, however many miles an hour, the older cars will not be as flexible and the cars can come pretty close together on one side as the train cars swing out. Which means you can be squashed. But hey, carry on.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 AM

21,468 posts, read 28,335,583 times
Quote:
I'm surprised. Are there restrooms in every LIRR car? Then why did the conductor tell me to go to the front third car of the train?

The same has happened to me many times, on the LIRR and of NJTransit. Not sure about Metro-North? Are their pissoirs in every car?

On more than a couple cattle car rides back on Sunday night from Fire Island, there were a half dozen people riding between cars the whole way. It was either that or buy a house on the Island!

On the subway I will only change cars if the A/C is out and the car is sweltering...or if a fight breaks out. I judge it more likely to suffer heat exhaustion or a bullet wound than to be turned into sausage meat under the wheels. With the gaggable tramp wheeling his bags of cans, I find moving to the other end of the car is usually enough to avoid asphixiation, but if my gag reflex starts to kicks I'll change cars.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,099,221 times
My late Mom told me that in the 30's and 40's flashers stayed between cars as the train prepared to depart a station. Once the train began to move, the flasher showed his wares to those on the platform.

Worked well with the R-1 to R-9 series IND cars that had conductor steps between cars allowing better visibility of the flasher's assets.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
One beautiful sunny afternoon, I was working on the B train and there we were, crossing the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn. I saw some guy standing between the cars and facing at a right angle. Nobody had to tell me what he was doing; he was urinating.

Never one to pass up an opportunity to amuse myself while at work, I walked across the car, threw the door open, and told the guy to knock it off and get inside the train. (My intrusion into his action was not completely appreciated).

He did, in fact, step back into the car. As I returned to my position, several passengers gave me quizzical looks--so I gestured back towards the guy and told them what he had been doing. When several of them made disgusted faces, the guy knew I had just revealed his little secret, and he went right off the deep end. He started screaming curses at me, at the top of his lungs.

I just smiled at him, and said that if he wanted me to, I could have the police waiting when we got into the station at DeKalb. He ran like a bat out of hell to the last car in the train.

A warning to you potential subway pissers: us transit workers aren't obligated to stand there and let you have your way!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM

3,188 posts, read 6,342,872 times
One suggestion would be to lock all of the car doors. But I guess MTA needs the ticket revenue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City