U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:53 PM

243 posts, read 1,209,863 times

Advertisements

The MTA WANTS TO lock all the doors on all trains. The fire department has stated it's a fire hazard to have the doors locked. The MTA only locks the doors on 75 foot cars because they swing so far out on curves , nobody can deny that they are extremely dangerous to cross.

There is not some vast conspiracy to get ticket revenue by ticketing those who walk through the doors. Ticket revenue from turnstile jumping and any other violations in the subway go to the city. They do not go to the MTA. Just like if you run a red light , the city gets the ticket revenue , not the Department of Transportation. What some of you say does not make any sense , sorry.

Without being dramatic , obviously walking between cars is not some death defying feat like walking a tightrope across Niagara Falls , so there is no need to be ridiculous about it , BUT that being said , when someone does slip and fall , and it DOES happen , that person is dead. And not only is that person dead , service is tied up and wrecked for hours. So the best bet is simply not to do it.

And yes , conductors walk between the cars during their duties. Motormen also walk tunnels and climb on and off the front of trains , and we climb up and down between cars within inches of the third rail , but we know how to do it and we get training how to do it and when to do it.

Bottom line - don't walk between the cars and if you do and you get a ticket , don't cry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM

63 posts, read 201,797 times
Here are the facts. It was legal for the entirety of the rapid transit's existence in the city (late 1800's) until 2005. What happened? People started to sue the city because they don't want to take responsibility for their actions. In response, it's now illegal. Bottom line if you know what you are doing, it isn't dangerous. Subway workers do it all the time, and they know what they're doing, so it's fine. There's no real art to it either, if you know the basic laws of physics, watch your steps, and keep hold of something, it's quite easy and safe. If you do it moronically, then yes, it very well could be dangerous. NYC government is clearly steering more and more towards a nanny state as time goes by. If you want to create a society of people that aren't morons, you have to allow them to make their own decisions. If they make bad ones, they'll learn from them. I switch cars all the time. I'm still here. Got caught once but the cop was nice about it.

Take responsibility for your actions. If you get hurt switching cars, it's no one's fault but your own. People get hurt driving cars too. Should we ban cars next? Actually, a lot of these people would want that as well.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 AM

243 posts, read 1,209,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt Politician View Post
Here are the facts. It was legal for the entirety of the rapid transit's existence in the city (late 1800's) until 2005. What happened? People started to sue the city because they don't want to take responsibility for their actions. In response, it's now illegal. Bottom line if you know what you are doing, it isn't dangerous. Subway workers do it all the time, and they know what they're doing, so it's fine. There's no real art to it either, if you know the basic laws of physics, watch your steps, and keep hold of something, it's quite easy and safe. If you do it moronically, then yes, it very well could be dangerous. NYC government is clearly steering more and more towards a nanny state as time goes by. If you want to create a society of people that aren't morons, you have to allow them to make their own decisions. If they make bad ones, they'll learn from them. I switch cars all the time. I'm still here. Got caught once but the cop was nice about it.

Take responsibility for your actions. If you get hurt switching cars, it's no one's fault but your own. People get hurt driving cars too. Should we ban cars next? Actually, a lot of these people would want that as well.
I agree with you in a lot of what you say. I also hate the nanny state and I totally agree in letting people make their own decisions and that the government should stop treating everyone as morons. All true. And walking between subway cars isn't some fantastically difficult physical feat.

All that being said , due to lawsuits , and due to drunks that go and urinate between moving cars , people who hang out in between to smoke , homeless guys that change in between cars and discard their crap (bags , clothes , etc) by throwing it in between the cars while the train is in motion ... and people do these things whether all posters witness or not , I've seen it all including more ... The right thing is to just not do it. People are going to do it anyway , and most will survive , but although I am against , like you , the nanny state stuff , on this , it's right when someone does it and gets a ticket.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:20 AM

63 posts, read 201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
I agree with you in a lot of what you say. I also hate the nanny state and I totally agree in letting people make their own decisions and that the government should stop treating everyone as morons. All true. And walking between subway cars isn't some fantastically difficult physical feat.

All that being said , due to lawsuits , and due to drunks that go and urinate between moving cars , people who hang out in between to smoke , homeless guys that change in between cars and discard their crap (bags , clothes , etc) by throwing it in between the cars while the train is in motion ... and people do these things whether all posters witness or not , I've seen it all including more ... The right thing is to just not do it. People are going to do it anyway , and most will survive , but although I am against , like you , the nanny state stuff , on this , it's right when someone does it and gets a ticket.
To that I respond with the following. Loitering between cars should be illegal. Taking a s**t between cars should be illegal. Throwing stuff off a moving train should be illegal. Not simply walking. Look, if the car is going to be unlocked (this excludes the 75-ft cars, the ones with the orange seats), the people who don't cross over if they are tempted are generally people who hold that law in high regard. There are, however, generally law-abiding and productive citizens who have no interest in doing those activities between cars, yet would like to simply move between cars. The only way one could get prosecuted for breaking this law is if they were in the sight of a cop, or maybe an MTA employee, but I'm not sure about latter.

What I'm basically saying is this. Every time one gets prosecuted for breaking this law/rule, it because it was in the sight of an authority figure. Most of the time, people simply are walking through, and are not doing any of those other activities. For the people that loiter and defecate between cars, a law will most certainly not deter them. It hasn't even deterred people like me, who simply walk between cars. So regardless of whether the law is there or not, the amount of people who would do those activities between cars hasn't dropped. The number of summonses given to people for simply walking between cars, however, is quite large. Make partaking in those activities between cars illegal, and prosecute the ones who do. Leave the people who simply walk - alone. I walk alone. My shadow's the only one beside me. My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating. Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me. Till then I walk [between cars] alone.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,242,372 times
There's never been a smell so bad or a panhandler/musician so annoying that I felt I had to walk between the cars. I'd only do it if someone were threatening my life and I had to run.
If you want to do it, go ahead...but personally I don't want to find myself falling toward the tracks and thinking "couldn't I have just waited?" before everything goes black.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,721,264 times
People here act as though walking between the cars is some sort of death sentence. It's not. I have never really given it a second thought when I needed to. Three points of contact please. It can be dangerous but as with anything act at your own risk.

I have seen a number of situations on the subway when it's best to switch cars. A few years ago, during rush hour, a kid pulled out a gun on another beside me. I chose to switch cars. Another time there was a mugging by two thugs, I watched these two guys taken some kids coat with a huge kitchen knife. Again I switched cars. Just two examples. How about Blackout 03 anyone? Or even extremely packed cars, to the point of discomfort?

Use it but don't Abuse it. Panhandlers, JHS smokers, pissers, ect abuse them. Safely transition between the cars. If your unlucky enough to get a ticket, sucks for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City