U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,366 times

Advertisements

I saw a couple other helpful posts on this issue, but I thought I'd check in for some updated specifics.

We are currently considering the Albert Einstein College of Medicine for the next 5 to 6 years and we are not accustom to city life .

I will be moving up in august with spouse to follow pending the job market and we will need a place that will accept a 40lb dog.

What we'd like to know is:
- What are the options for taking our dog out? (Something other than walking along city streets)
- Are there environmental jobs in the area? (Conversation, quality, etc.)
- How safe is biking as a means of transport?
- Are there areas up to 45 minutes away that would provide us with a little more space or we could look at for buying a house with a yard?
- How far would the drive be to get out to areas for hiking, kayaking, etc?

Thank you for all the help, we've really hit a gridlock on our discussion and I'm sure some knowledgeable help will get us moving again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 AM

8,478 posts, read 20,373,475 times
The area around Albert Einstein is great.It's Morris Park,Pelham Parkway and Pelham Gardens.It is a combination urban/suburban feel with lot's of single family or 2 family houses with driveways,garages,etc on the side streets mid block and apartment buildings( usually 6 or 7 stories) on the corners and along the main streets.
There are plenty of areas for dog walking including Pelham Parkway itself,which has a very wide strip of park in the center and lots of big old trees.
Biking in the area will be no problem at all and there are also big parks very nearby including Bronx Park and Pelham Bay Park which is the biggest in the city and has a beach.
Believe it or not you can go canoeing or kayaking in the Bronx River which is very close by.There are places to rent kayaks in Bronx Park!
The neighborhood is a very safe,clean and relatively quiet place and there are a lot of good restaurants in Morris Park right next to the campus.
There are subways and express busses to midtown.
Pelham Bay Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Bronx Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

If You're Thinking of Living In/Pelham Gardens, the Bronx - Attractive, Affordable and Unheralded - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/re.../17living.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/re...pagewanted=all

The Bronx Zoo and The NY Botanical Garden are also within walking distance.Both are in Bronx Park.

http://www.bronxzoo.com/ ,http://www.nybg.org/

Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,366 times
All of that information was exceptionally helpful! Thank you, Bluedog2 It actually made our decision of where to move even harder (we were like 60-40, after reading your info we were nearly 50-50) A decision has finally been made, and thank you again for your in depth guide to city life - not as bad as I thought given my rural roots :-P

Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM

8,478 posts, read 20,373,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcresinVerse View Post
All of that information was exceptionally helpful! Thank you, Bluedog2 It actually made our decision of where to move even harder (we were like 60-40, after reading your info we were nearly 50-50) A decision has finally been made, and thank you again for your in depth guide to city life - not as bad as I thought given my rural roots :-P
So,what did you decide ? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or