Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 PM

242 posts, read 926,996 times

Advertisements

You missed the point. Latinos and Blacks also tend to leave NYC after a few generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
The pointless point was the endless quibbling about ethnic percentages--an obsession actually--on this forum.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

242 posts, read 926,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
More like "Operation scared of their own shadow."
I was replying to your racist comment. Don't twist my words.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM

Racist? Do tell...You're really grasping at straws. Talk about twisting words! Haven't I made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that I'm a white woman who doesn't give a flip in hell about the color of my neighbors??????

I know, it's "win" at all costs. So have it your way. Living well is the best revenge.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 PM

And YOU are the one, IMO, helping to keep the racist status quo alive and well by your endless bashing of the Bronx area I call home.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 10,327 times
Default pay attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
hmm. Is that why the rent will go up - because "they'll never stop lording it over our heads. . . " or could it possibly be because rents will go up everywhere, and especially in areas that are very convenient to get to Manhattan via subway (15 minutes from Jackson Heights to midtown on the E or F train)? And maybe because Jackson Heights is a desirable place - safe, tree-lined, pretty clean, lots of restaurants?

Jackson Heights has always been convenient. ALWAYS!!!!
nothing has changed to make it more accessable, except that now people are considering Queens as a possible place to live because they are priced out of the village, Williamsburg, AStoria, etc.

Understand, i don't throw the 27 years around lightly, and growing up going to punk shows i've known so many transplants it's not even funny. The number of times i've heard, "who wants to live in Queens," "why go to queens" is no joke.
And i'd be like, "hey it's just 15 minutes from midtown."
don't give transplants that much credit as intrepid souls. I'm convinced they gather together like some cabal in some underground bunker and declare which neighborhood to invade. ha ha ha ha

Been here all my life; it's always been statistically (i mean it's been declared in magazines) the most diverse neighborhood. and the best neighborhood for someone who doesn't want to drive...and i've seen whites move out!
now i see them moving in. haven't we come full circle?

safe? ha ha ha. You obviously don't get out around Jackson Heights at night. You won't get robbed on your way home from work, but do yourself a favor, don't start walking under the 7 train at night, or in and out of bars.
Jackson Heights has a huge prostitution, drug, transexual scene. it is absolutely hilarious. I bet you don't have the slightest clue.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioEnLlamas View Post
Jackson Heights has always been convenient. ALWAYS!!!!
nothing has changed to make it more accessable, except that now people are considering Queens as a possible place to live because they are priced out of the village, Williamsburg, AStoria, etc.

Understand, i don't throw the 27 years around lightly, and growing up going to punk shows i've known so many transplants it's not even funny. The number of times i've heard, "who wants to live in Queens," "why go to queens" is no joke.
And i'd be like, "hey it's just 15 minutes from midtown."
don't give transplants that much credit as intrepid souls. I'm convinced they gather together like some cabal in some underground bunker and declare which neighborhood to invade. ha ha ha ha

Been here all my life; it's always been statistically (i mean it's been declared in magazines) the most diverse neighborhood. and the best neighborhood for someone who doesn't want to drive...and i've seen whites move out!
now i see them moving in. haven't we come full circle?

safe? ha ha ha. You obviously don't get out around Jackson Heights at night. You won't get robbed on your way home from work, but do yourself a favor, don't start walking under the 7 train at night, or in and out of bars.
Jackson Heights has a huge prostitution, drug, transexual scene. it is absolutely hilarious. I bet you don't have the slightest clue.

you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Why?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,489 times
Thumbs up hi

Yes.all of the above is true.you're Indian? if you are than jackson heights is mostly Desi place.there is Desi bazaars and there is even nice shops.
jackson heights is a peaceful and cool place.cool you know.bye bye.i live in jackson heights and am indian.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Why?
I don't think the poster has a chip on their shoulder necessarily. It's just amusing when you've lived in an area all your life and have seen whites move out (more like flee), then move back in again when the area gets "discovered." As the poster said, the area hasn't essentially changed that much, but back in the day when Manhattan rents were not so outrageous, nothing but Manhattan would do for many. Now it's a very different story, and that's an understatement. I doubt Jackson Heights is now as affordable as it once was. Virtually any area that's a close commute to Manhattan is seeing huge inceases in demand, and rent.

It's a native NYC thing...

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 23,205 times
Let's me add some background info about Jackson-Hts for expats. My parents lived there for over 25 years, we'd move, then return, etc. It's undergone some major transformation since the 80s. JH was mostly greeks, hispanics and asians then. The neighborhood had somewhat high crime rates (auto break-ins types) and the few stores were dead or dying. Then in the 90s Indian stores moved-in and now took over basically 74th and 75th streets and btw 37th-38th avenue. This spot has a name called "Little India". It brought economic rejuvenation, ethnic cuisines and pretty shops, and also Indian patrons all around this area. Two mid-sized supermarkets moved in the neighborhoods, so it offered good food for cheap prices. The neighborhood outside of this Indian spot, up and down the street, is a mix of hispanics, some asians and whites. It feels def working-class and once in awhile you'll see a few professionals coming home from work. Maybe in 15 yrs, it'll feel more Astoria. But it's not there yet. Oh, the 7 train is used by residents who live in neighboring areas, like Elmhurst, Woodside and Flushing. That's teeming with foreigners -- but damn hard-working ones. Most JH residents use all the other trains, E, F, R, & N.

I'm a professional who lived in JH for 5 yrs and yes, I don't see many professional types here and feel a bit out of place, but it's safe around apts close to the trains, food is cheap, and feels like a sleepy little Qns time. There is a starbucks, dunkin donuts and a few diners, but for entertainment, you gotta hitup the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City