U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM

966 posts, read 1,992,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Basically, Rich, you're asking people to behave with some consideration. And let me tell you from experience...that's easier said than done!
Ditto. It seems that behaving with consideration for other people requires actually caring about other people. I'm not saying that no one cares or is considerate but that something seems to happen to many people when they ride the trains. I have seen the most considerate of people become these ruthless competitors or automatons who make themselves oblivious to the needs and concerns of others. I once took an online test in which I was classified as an alien because I often take the time to let other people go through the turnstile or get in the train before me (esp. if they seem frantic or in a major hurry.) I tend to schedule a lot of time for train travel, so it's no skin off my nose. Plus I hate being rushed unnecessarily or tailgated by other pedestrians or train passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 AM

40,058 posts, read 28,985,191 times
Here's something I've always done to help relieve stress when taking the subway: I never limit myself to a single train--which is something I see plenty of people do. That attitude, "Where's the damn A train?" completely passes my understanding. We have a system that allows you to make endless transfers. Who really cares if you take three different trains to reach your destination rather than one? As long as you're moving, that's what really counts.

Even if the train that comes into the station isn't the one you need (or want), get on it. Take it as far as you can before having to transfer, and then make the transfer.

One time, when I was still a conductor, I was working on an A train heading into Brooklyn. A woman who'd boarded the train at Broadway/Nassau came up to me and asked whether we'd be stopping at Lafayette Avenue. I told her we wouldn't--we were going to run express in Brooklyn. And she scowled and said (quoted verbatim), "Oh sh*t. That means I have to get the C train at Jay Street."

Now, anyone who's ever had to make a transfer at Jay knows what a horrible place that is. It's almost impossible to avoid huge crowds at that station.

What I said to the woman was, "The A and C trains both stop at High Street. You can pick up the C there, and then you'll have a seat when it comes into Jay." Believe me when I tell you, you could practically see the fog lifting from her eyes. She grabbed my hand and starting pumping it, exclaiming, "You know I've been riding the subway for 15 years, and that never occurred to me!"

I always tried to do what I could to relieve straphanger stress. One passenger at a time.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,267,539 times
I haven't seen anyone mention the etiquette of squeezing in a seat that's too small for you. I can't stand when people do that. I mean, it's one thing if it's a tight space, but if you push over the people because you want to sit there, now that's wrong. And I love it when they give YOU the look like you're the one taking up too much space (which I don't, since I'm fairly skinny). This happened to me a lot riding to work on the 4 to the Bronx in the mornings. I was one of the very few white people on the train, and I felt like I got targeted a lot for no reason. I grew up riding the train, so I know the proper etiquette. I once sat beside this woman on my way to work, and she kept rattling on REALLY loud about my color and saying I'm racist, yadda yadda. All because I sat next to her. I must be so racist if I'm willing to sit beside a black woman, right? lol

Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 AM

40,058 posts, read 28,985,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the etiquette of squeezing in a seat that's too small for you.
One afternoon, I was riding on a train somewhere in the city, and at one stop, a woman boarded the train and made a beeline for the open space in the seat next to me.

Now I should explain, I'm 6'2" tall, and you wouldn't mistake me for an anorexic. The woman who boarded the train could reliably be described as "heavyset."

There was absolutely no way either of us was going to be comfortable if she squeezed herself into that seat. But that's precisely what she did. It occurred to me that her real goal was to make me just uncomfortable enough to get up...and leave the entire seat to her. Therefore (it practically goes without saying) I refused to do this. I can guarantee you that she was having a much more difficult time than I was, and I stayed right in that seat until I got to my station.

You want etiquette? I never said a word to her.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,344,599 times
use deodorant.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Be careful of your newspapers. Other people's laps or backs are not there for you to use as desks. I once said that to a guy who had spread out his entire newspaper over both his lap and mine, as in, "Hey, Mister. I am not a desk." It took Mr. Oblivious a minute or two to register what I was saying. But the other passengers and my traveling companion loved it. I guess other people were just as sick of this kind of situation too.

Etiquette? Hmmm... I didn't borrow a lighter and torch his New York Times. lol. Such a Scorp.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,344,599 times
I get a kick out of women during rush hour who dump their make up bag on thier lap and extend their ams to put on eyeliner, mascarra, etc..and then lol finish it all off with a spritz of perfume...lol

Old 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
I get a kick out of women during rush hour who dump their make up bag on thier lap and extend their ams to put on eyeliner, mascarra, etc..and then lol finish it all off with a spritz of perfume...lol
Definitely identifying some boundary issues here. Oh my... Cough, cough...

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

162 posts, read 527,188 times
I hate when I and others are exiting the train and people are starting to get on, I also hate it when I'm in a crowded car and have to shove my way through the crowd to get off at my stop.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,267,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One afternoon, I was riding on a train somewhere in the city, and at one stop, a woman boarded the train and made a beeline for the open space in the seat next to me.

Now I should explain, I'm 6'2" tall, and you wouldn't mistake me for an anorexic. The woman who boarded the train could reliably be described as "heavyset."

There was absolutely no way either of us was going to be comfortable if she squeezed herself into that seat. But that's precisely what she did. It occurred to me that her real goal was to make me just uncomfortable enough to get up...and leave the entire seat to her. Therefore (it practically goes without saying) I refused to do this. I can guarantee you that she was having a much more difficult time than I was, and I stayed right in that seat until I got to my station.

You want etiquette? I never said a word to her.

Exactly, this is what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or