U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM

40,058 posts, read 28,974,991 times

Advertisements

Actually, despite the six pages and 60 postings thus far, I believe that the single best way to alleviate the stress of a crowded subway trip is to develop the proper mindset. And for the record, this is precisely how I did it as a conductor:

Instead of looking at the subway ride as a necessary/unpleasant/disgusting/fill-in-the-blank thing you have to do, think of it as an adventure. It's better than a Broadway play, for heaven's sake! There's an endless cast of characters, and you've got a front-row seat. (The only real problem is that you might get so wrapped up in what's going on, you could miss your stop).

There are more than 3,300 conductors employed by MTA, and let me tell you, when I had that job title, I was not one of the complainers. I looked forward to each workday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM

966 posts, read 1,991,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, despite the six pages and 60 postings thus far, I believe that the single best way to alleviate the stress of a crowded subway trip is to develop the proper mindset. And for the record, this is precisely how I did it as a conductor:

Instead of looking at the subway ride as a necessary/unpleasant/disgusting/fill-in-the-blank thing you have to do, think of it as an adventure. It's better than a Broadway play, for heaven's sake! There's an endless cast of characters, and you've got a front-row seat. (The only real problem is that you might get so wrapped up in what's going on, you could miss your stop).

There are more than 3,300 conductors employed by MTA, and let me tell you, when I had that job title, I was not one of the complainers. I looked forward to each workday.
Fred314X, I love this post. It is better to be a compassionate yet detached observer than a critic. Julia Cameron of The Artist's Way--a NY'er btw--calls subway trains viewing galleries. Thank you so much. You don't know me, but your post speaks directly to my heart and my usual way of viewing life. I wonder why I singled out the train experience as being somehow different? Hmmm... Time to stop seeing the trains as this awful experience one must endure in order to enjoy living in New York City.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Fred314X, I love this post. It is better to be a compassionate yet detached observer than a critic.
One afternoon, I was working on the F line. When the train came aboveground after leaving Church Avenue, two kids--brother and sister, which you could see because they had the same face--hopped up onto one of the seats and the little girl said to the little boy, "Wow! This is great! You can see stuff!"

I was thinking, someone needed to tell all the adults on the train, "Listen to the little girl; she knows what she's talking about!"

Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM

966 posts, read 1,991,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One afternoon, I was working on the F line. When the train came aboveground after leaving Church Avenue, two kids--brother and sister, which you could see because they had the same face--hopped up onto one of the seats and the little girl said to the little boy, "Wow! This is great! You can see stuff!"

I was thinking, someone needed to tell all the adults on the train, "Listen to the little girl; she knows what she's talking about!"
So funny. Reminds me of that old Bill Cosby show, Kids Say the Darndest Things.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,465 times
Speaking of etiquette: Passing gas on the subway is not necessary while riding. Remember your manners while riding.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Claire View Post
Speaking of etiquette: Passing gas on the subway is not necessary while riding. Remember your manners while riding.
This assumes that your fellow straphangers have manners in the first place. And you know what they say about assuming!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM

47,111 posts, read 47,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Claire View Post
People probably take advantage of the anonymity of the crowd. Just imagine--the snooty little Wall Street wannabe in her expensive miniskirt suit, letting go of a silent-but-deadly, thinking everyone will blame the scruffy guy with his hat on sideways...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM

142 posts, read 349,869 times
Control your children!!! Don't allow them to lay across three seats!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM

145 posts, read 360,879 times
Don't feel compelled to tell some stranger your life story or what you think is wrong with the world and how you would put it to rights. Nobody cares.
As for the adventuring aspect - I like that idea! I love when something ridiculous (more than usual) happens and everyone kinda looks at each other and grins. It's that kind of 'we are all here together' mentality. Loves it.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou View Post
Don't feel compelled to tell some stranger your life story or what you think is wrong with the world and how you would put it to rights. Nobody cares.
And for those times when you find yourself on the receiving end, there's nothing wrong with letting the storyteller know that you don't want to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or