Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,481 times

Advertisements

Ok,. I got 1 for u. I KNOW for a fact that there ARE poeple living in my attic at the apartment I rent.
See, I live in a 4 apartment complex that has 2 downstairs apartments and 2 upstairs apartments. Each apartment has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Of course, I rent 1 of the 4 apartments that is upstairs. There is supposed to be a mexican family of 5 ppl renting right nextdoor, which is the other upstairs apartment...HOWEVER, its NOT just 1 mexican family that is living there...its never less than 2 mexican families and sometimes 3 mexican families +/or their friends.
2 bedrooms is not enough space for them all to live in, especially when considering privacy for sex since they r pooping babies out one right after the other.
Now, I dont have one of those squares in the ceiling that goes to the attic, but nextdoors apartment does. I know because when I moved in here I was considering moving in that apartment and when I did a walk through in that apartment, I noticed that it did, in fact, have the square in the ceiling that leads to the attic.
I hear them up their all the time. If I tell them to shut up or take the broom stick and hit the ceiling with it when they get to loud and sometimes they do keep it quieter.
But Im not really worried about the noise.
What bothers me the most is...my privacy is being invaded.
I have a vaulted (slanted) ceiling in my bedroom.
There are holes that I can not reach to plug or put something over because those holes are to high.
I KNOW they watch me sometimes. I cant ever be naked or relaxed like that in my apartment. I cant even take showers here, as I only take showers at my boyfriends house now.
We did have a city inspection last year and I did tell them this issue about them living in my attic.
OMG, they looked at me as if I were nuts and told me to tell the landlord because he has to b the 1 to take care of this matter. But I have been telling him for over a year now, since the mexicans moved in about a year and 1/2 ago, but he does nothing at all about it. He doesnt even look into it.
My stomach is always in knots. This is NO WAY to live.
I feel so violated. No 1 will do anything. Not the city, not the police, not the landlord. What am I to do?
I have thought and thought about what to do...I dont want to kill any of them...I just want them to not live in the attic being able to watch me whenever they want. I want my privacy. Just like you want your privacy. This is sickening. What can I do? Please? I even had friends spend the night and say, "OMG, u r right. Poeple R living up there." And they said that they would vouge for me or however its spelled...u know, that they would even back me up in a heartbeat if it were ever requested. U know what I mean. PLEASE...help me. I do not know who I can go to about this.

Last edited by Sharonfr; 08-18-2011 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: wanted to add that my friends heard them up in the attic to so I DO have witnessses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
my friend was selling his house in long island. it turns out building inspectors are pretendting to be buyers to crack down on all these apartments in the basements..

well at one point my friends mom was living downstairs in a make shift apartment. the inspector issued a violation and my friend had to remove the kitchen.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM

147 posts, read 370,204 times
There is a difference between a finsihed basement for a rec room and an apartment. is there a kitchen with a stove?

Why not get the proper C of O?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Sharon,

Get a ladder and take pictures of them through the peepholes. While up there you might want to nail the holes shut.

Who owns the joint? Have you talked to the landlord? Does he make believe you are lying or imagining?

Start with calling the City housing authorities and telling them there is an overcrowded apartment next to you with several families living in 2 bedrooms. Don't amplify about the "voices" overhead and don't mention "peeping." Maybe they will investigate if you present a good, sane argument.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,884 times
Default Fine for bment

You get fined, and as a bonus:

You can't collect rent (legally) from any units on the property until you either
a: Change property to a legal state or b) change back to pre-illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiryMan View Post
Illegal Basement
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what would be the penalty for having an illegal basement apartment. Mind you, this basement apartment is above ground and has it's own basement.

What happens if you get caught? Do you get fined? Or, are you warned first, and then fined?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,444 times
What if a certificate of occupancy does not exist? Perhaps because it is grandfathered in as a building built before April of 1929. How would you then prove the apartment is illegal?
Also, how would you prove if it was grandfathered in or not?

Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnylawyer View Post
What if a certificate of occupancy does not exist? Perhaps because it is grandfathered in as a building built before April of 1929. How would you then prove the apartment is illegal?
Also, how would you prove if it was grandfathered in or not?
If a C of O does not exist, HPD might have I-Cards (short for index cards) which outline the use of the building, similar to a C of O. This is what was used before C of Os were introduced. And actually the date for C of Os coming into effect I believe was 1938.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Call the cops or department of buildings and let us know what happens for the in the future we can address this properly.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,254 times
Hi,Im a single mother living in the basement with kitchen and 1 full bathroom.when I rented this basement it was only me and my bf.but now i got my 3 kids living with me too after I got the full costudy.the landlord wants us to look for another apartment which is yes I been looking but at the same time it's hard because of the financial specially now I don't have a full time only part time house keeping.my landlord asking me $200 dollar more for the rent but I don't give him the $ 200 I only give him $50 for the water.now the electric bill came on this month which is $400 dollar he showed to me last night and him and her wife was very upset when they showed me the electric bill means I have to pay the bill too.what should I do about this?can anybody give me an opinion?thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
If it's illegal to habitate NYC basements, where do pitiful young male adult internet tough-guys live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City