Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 51,948 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am writing because I need some insight on my dilemma. I rent in a 1br apt in Manhattan, and for the last two years, I have had an issue because pigeons are nesting outside of my windows. I cannot open 3 out of the 4 windows in my apartment because, when I do, pigeon feathers, waste (FECES), dirt, and god knows what else flies in to my apartment, gets on my window sill, counter space, couch, carpet.. I have had to throw out dishes that I found pigeon feathers on (AFTER EATING FROM THEM!), and have found them on the carpet near my two small dogs. It is absolutely DISGUSTING, but I also know it is a health threat. According to my research, even inhaling pigeon waste spores in the air can lead to respiratory problems and diseases in both humans and pets. As is, I am an asthmatic. My only option is to keep my windows shut which leaves NO ventilation or air in my apartment.. I have already had to throw out destroyed air conditioners, covered in pigeon waste and feathers, when I realized that the AC was sucking in contaminated air and further polluting the stale air supply in my apartment. I am very worried about the quality of air in my apartment and worried about the possible health implications. I am worried about damage already sustained to myself or to my dogs, and I am also worried that improper clean-up or disposal could spread the spores in to the air further.

I called my landlord and requested they do something and the secretary said "well I dont know what we can really do about pigeons" and said she would get back to me after speaking with one of the sons who runs the management/owner company. I already have a letter written up in which I request them to cure the problem, which I will send certified if they do not provide adequate solutions. My father, an attorney, thinks that they are in fact responsible for curing the problem..I am not looking to get litigious, I just want to have my windows open in my apartment...I need opinions and suggestions. Are they responsible? How can I make sure it is handled in an environmentally safe matter? Do I go the EPA/311/ESCROW route or what? Thank you!

Elle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
i had this issue in Sunnyside, NY, they would nest under and near my window air condiioner... I had to place a spike plate...to prvent them from flying landing and staying near my windows... You can call your managment they may have these spike plates they come in white black and steel the black is the best.they have progs the stick up and when you touch them they do not harm you or the bird.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Try stringing up fishing line( not loose so they get tangled in it but taught so they hit it and get stopped. They'll stop roosting there. Or get an artificial hawk or owl decoy, that's guaranteed to keep them away.
But I was just in Manhattan and fed some pigeons some pita bread from a very delicious gyro. Sorry.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
It sounds like you should be doing this by letter to your landlord, not telephone. Maybe check with the health department? Maybe spiky things on the window sill? Maybe bird-repellent? There's a company that make granules that supposedly repel birds.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, but I guess my point is -- isn't this the landlords responsibility to fix? I am so grossed out to even open my window it's so bad..there are no screens on the window and everything is covered in pigeon waste. Isn't use of windows and fresh air something I'm entitled to? I'm going to call the EPA today and see what they say! If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free!

Elle

Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
Install a cat on the ledge.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 45,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
Install a cat on the ledge.

Stainless steel spikes, bird-coils, daddi long legs, or birdslides are great humane deterrants. Here is a website (I am in no way affiliated or make a profit):

Bird Barrier America - Bird Barrier

Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Is it my responsibility to purchase this or LL?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
From what you've described, that you can't even open the windows, I'd say it's the landlords responsibility. Include pix (as gross as possible) in your letter to LL also.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Maybe a small secured bird bath on the ledge might help them with their hygiene problems....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City