Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM

128 posts, read 250,675 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I found this really nice looking (from pictures) apartment for $1250 in Bay Ridge area and this weekend I will be going to take a look at it. What should I be looking at when we get there? Is there anything in particular I should be looking at like phone plugs or how many power sources there are, and what specific questions should I be asking?

The thing that bothers me a little is that when I called the listed number I found out that I was calling a real estate agency. They assured me that there is no broker fee. How does that work exactly?

Also, since I'm a first time renter what documents should I be presenting to the real estate agent/landlord? Proof of income, proof of employment? Is it ok to give them my social security number?

I'm sorry if this sounds like much...I just really want to go in this weekend as prepared as I can be.

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi guys,

So I found this really nice looking (from pictures) apartment for $1250 in Bay Ridge area and this weekend I will be going to take a look at it. What should I be looking at when we get there? Is there anything in particular I should be looking at like phone plugs or how many power sources there are, and what specific questions should I be asking?

The thing that bothers me a little is that when I called the listed number I found out that I was calling a real estate agency. They assured me that there is no broker fee. How does that work exactly?

Also, since I'm a first time renter what documents should I be presenting to the real estate agent/landlord? Proof of income, proof of employment? Is it ok to give them my social security number?

I'm sorry if this sounds like much...I just really want to go in this weekend as prepared as I can be.

Thank you so much for your help.
Ask if it's a rent stabilized apartment. If it is, your rent can only go up so much each year. If not stabilized (i.e., a co-op) your rent can go up whatever they want when the lease is up.

I'd run the water and flush the toilet to see if the pressure is decent. Some buildings have weak pressure.

Find out if there is a laundry room.

What area of Bay Ridge is it? I live in BR and may know the building.

The broker will have you fill out an application and you'll probably have to include pay stubs and they will run credit and verify employment. If that real estate office also manages the building, that may be why there is no fee? I'm not sure about that though.

Do not give ANY information over the phone or hand any personal information to someone on site. Go back to the real estate office to fill out the paperwork. You want to make sure they are legit and really work for that brokerage office.

I'll post more stuff if I think of anything else. Where is the building?

Last edited by cleasach; 04-08-2010 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: fixed a typo

Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi. Thank you so much for your help.

Here's the website from the real estate agency advertising the apartment:

Moderator cut: Please send links via DM for specific agencies/buildings. Thanks

I didn't ask for the exact location. I feel like such an idiot. The person on the phone told me to meet him at 72nd street and 3rd ave, and told me it's a 9 floor building. He will call me tomorrow or saturday morning to confirm if I'm still interested to go see the apartment, so I'll ask exactly where it is. On the webiste where I originally saw the ad, it said that it's located at Mid 70s and Ridge Blvd.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-08-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Please send links via DM for specific agencies/buildings. Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The first thing that jumped off the screen at me was the (possibly) ominous phrase, "Bay Ridge area." Real estate agencies are notorious for inserting that word "area" into a listing when the unit isn't actually in the neighborhood. I'm not saying they're going to try and push Brownsville off on you--even real estate agencies don't go that far. But at least go there with your eyes open.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,829 times
that area is very nice.
many brokers in todays market have no fee listings (ie. the owner pays the fee).

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

It says it is a block away from the Public Library and the library is on 73rd and Ridge so it probably is right around there.

I don't know of any 9 story buildings around here. They are mostly 6 stories so I'm not familiar with this one. The rooms look large. There is a large apartment complex around that way called Flag Court. Maybe the building is part of that complex.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM

I think I found the building. There is a large apartment complex across from the library on 73rd and Ridge it takes up what looks like a whole block and appears to be 9 stories.

I was interested in the windows in the advertisement because they are rounded looking like in a brownstone and most apartment building windows are just flat. If you google map 166 72nd street brooklyn ny 11209 and pan upward, you can see windows that are very similar to the ones shown in the picture of the apartment you linked to.

I believe that is the Flag Court complex but am not positive.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM

88 posts, read 510,423 times
i always get a little worry when the broker dont disclose an exact location. would someone enlighten me on why this is the case?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I think I found the building. There is a large apartment complex across from the library on 73rd and Ridge it takes up what looks like a whole block and appears to be 9 stories.

I was interested in the windows in the advertisement because they are rounded looking like in a brownstone and most apartment building windows are just flat. If you google map 166 72nd street brooklyn ny 11209 and pan upward, you can see windows that are very similar to the ones shown in the picture of the apartment you linked to.

I believe that is the Flag Court complex but am not positive.
Yea, I see what you mean. The windows look very similar as in the ad.

You mentioned that the rooms look large. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm planning to be living on my own, but it seems like a nice place for a price that I could afford. I'd really like to see what you think based on the pictures.

What do you guys think of the area?

Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Having large rooms is great. It's a very interesting situation in that I've never seen a large building like that where utilities were included with the rent. That is a great bargain since you can run your air conditioner all summer and not worry about a $200+ electric bill. Make sure you ask the agent if it's rent stabilized. If he says no, ask if it is a co-op. If it isn't a co-op either, then I don't know what other classification it could be.

I can't speak to that building because I've never lived there. I grew up in this area and it's very nice. If I were looking for an apartment here, I'd look in the '90s rather than the 70s but you might find the 70s just fine. To me, the 90s are just nicer overall but you have a few extra train stops to go.

If you will be taking the subway to work, you will have to walk to the subway station on 69th street and 4th avenue. I find that area a little gritty but it's not dangerous or anything as far as I know.

You should take a walk around the area a few times before committing to anything. Walk from the apartment building to the subway station a few times at different hours of the day. Walk around 3rd Avenue in the 70s in the evening and weekends to get a feel for the area.

There are many, many real estate offices in the neighborhood. I know you don't want to pay a fee, but if you decide that this one is not for you, you could visit a few of them and tell them exactly what you are looking for.

It looks like a very lovely apartment and the utilities being included is a huge plus so it may work out very nicely for you.

Good luck and post back after you've viewed the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City